Tess Whitty
Tess Whitty
United States
Local time: 19:57
Member (2004)
English to Swedish
Jun 5, 2004

Hi!
What is a general/standard discount for larger volume translations? Is there an increase in discount percentage as volume increases? How do you do it?

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 03:57
Spanish to English
+ ...
I don't Jun 5, 2004

My productivity doesn't go up because of volume (it rather goes down when bogged).

But speaking seriously, it's the agencies that can cut corners with volume (large d-bases, super PMs, etc.), not really the freelancer. That apart -- and on that level -- it's pretty discretional. I know an agency that puts a surcharge on volumes requiring rush. (To do this, you have to define "rush" as per industry standards).

NGK
NGK  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:57
Some previous discussions on this issue Jun 5, 2004

http://www.proz.com/topic/21078
http://www.proz.com/topic/11177
http://www.proz.com/topic/19847

Tess Whitty
Tess Whitty
United States
Member (2004)
English to Swedish
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! Jun 5, 2004

These links kind of confirmed my standpoint. Thanks!

Jaroslaw Michalak
Jaroslaw Michalak  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
SITE LOCALIZER
Depends on the situation... Jun 5, 2004

Generally I don't have anything against volume discounts. For once, it IS easier to translate 100 pages of one document (or similar documents) from one client, than 10 documents per 10 pages on completely different subjects. When you translate first 20 pages of one job, the number of unknown expressions dramatically decreases, and your knowledge of the subject increases, which naturally speeds up the translation process. Moreover, large documents tend to be more wordy and explanatory than small ... See more
Generally I don't have anything against volume discounts. For once, it IS easier to translate 100 pages of one document (or similar documents) from one client, than 10 documents per 10 pages on completely different subjects. When you translate first 20 pages of one job, the number of unknown expressions dramatically decreases, and your knowledge of the subject increases, which naturally speeds up the translation process. Moreover, large documents tend to be more wordy and explanatory than small ones.

From the business point of view, it is obvious that it pays better to find one large job than to hunt many small ones. In fact, if an agency has two translators, one who applies volume discounts, and one who doesn't, the first one will get bulk translations, and the other many small ones. Who, do you think, will be better off?

However, I think that the progressive discount should apply only for the range between 20 pages and, say, about 150 pages. Above that it does not make sense to lower your prices further.
Collapse

Klas Törnquist
Klas Törnquist
English to Swedish
+ ...
No standard discount Jun 5, 2004

Terese Whitty wrote:

Hi!
What is a general/standard discount for larger volume translations? Is there an increase in discount percentage as volume increases? How do you do it?

I don't think you should give general/standard discounts. There are some big jobs, where you can produce more words per hour towards the end thanks to repetitions and matches from the translation memory. However, if your clients use translation memory they will typically already have demanded discounts for matches and repetitions.
Also, it may not be that you can produce more words per hour at all in a big project. If you have given a discount, you will be left working at a reduced hourly income for weeks or months when you might be able to take on other work at your normal rate.
What I would recommend you to do is not to give a standard discount, but analyse each job (you use Trados, don't you) and quote a fixed price for the whole job. If you feel that there may be price competition, you can reduce this fixed price somewhat, but preferably not before the client has asked you to.

my 5 öre

Klas

Jane Lamb-Ruiz (X)
Jane Lamb-Ruiz (X)  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Volume discounts: Are Translators Retail Merchants or Car Manufacturers? Jun 5, 2004

I never answer these job offers. Somewhere along the line, some person who considered him/herself clever began this thing. Translation by a translator is a subjective experience requiring all the skills commonly imputable to other independent professionals. ''Volume discounts" is an idea imported into translation from the wholesale/retail industry.

I never give discounts for volume. What added benefit is volume giving me? Translators are best served by texts that aren't too too lon
... See more
I never answer these job offers. Somewhere along the line, some person who considered him/herself clever began this thing. Translation by a translator is a subjective experience requiring all the skills commonly imputable to other independent professionals. ''Volume discounts" is an idea imported into translation from the wholesale/retail industry.

I never give discounts for volume. What added benefit is volume giving me? Translators are best served by texts that aren't too too long and a steady stream of them, paid at a decent rate. The more one is known to agencies, the more likely that is to happen.

Unless you are in dire need, stay away from those seeking volume discounts. In 25 years of translation, I HAVE NEVER done anything like that. It reminds me of shyster money-lending practices and other attitudes of enslavement. It just doesn't go with the profession. What about lawyers,doctors, architects, CPAs, etc. How about giving them volume discounts?

Those professionals would laugh at the very idea. If translation is a profession exercised by professionals then we should act like professionals and inform the quasi-sweatshop translation agencies that this is a ridiculous, inane and utterly unwise practice to engage in.

To answer your question more specifically, there is nothing standard about this practice at all. And most of the good translators I know eschew it wholeheartedly. I think that the longer something is and the shorter the deadline, the higher the price should be. AND, if there is a lot of it, one shouldn't lower the price because maintaining quality for a large volume requires alertness, commitment and practice.

Cheers to all

[Edited at 2004-06-05 18:13]

[Edited at 2004-06-05 18:18]
Collapse

Kit Cree
Kit Cree  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
agency con Jun 6, 2004

i agree with our noble parrot (lovely to meet you the other day, by the way) - large volume doesn't make our job any easier, even if it might make us feel a little more secure.
basically, agencies are trying to make as much profit as possible and they can prey upon the poor translator's insecurities - when will the next job come in? will I make enough money this month? as others in this forum have pointed out, once you're well established with regular jobs then you don't need to lower your
... See more
i agree with our noble parrot (lovely to meet you the other day, by the way) - large volume doesn't make our job any easier, even if it might make us feel a little more secure.
basically, agencies are trying to make as much profit as possible and they can prey upon the poor translator's insecurities - when will the next job come in? will I make enough money this month? as others in this forum have pointed out, once you're well established with regular jobs then you don't need to lower your prices. in fact you should think about raising them. but for translator's starting out or going through a dry spell, it's a tempting offer. i wouldn't do it. an agency that asks you to lower your price is not necessarily one that you want to work for again.
Collapse

Tess Whitty
Tess Whitty
United States
Member (2004)
English to Swedish
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all! Jun 6, 2004

Thank you for all your comments. They have been very helpful and confirms my standpoint.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Volume discounts?

Translation news

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »