Improve your profile page
Thread poster: isahuang
isahuang
isahuang
Local time: 04:38
English to Chinese
+ ...
Feb 25, 2007

I got some thought while reading discussions in another topic and decided to open a new topic of discussion. We all (or almost all) would like to get jobs from Proz. The first thing that could jump out in front of potential clients is our profile page. However, it seems we didn't pay enough attention to what we wrote in our profile page. Over the weekend, I got a project for E to TC. Because of the holiday in China, it took me quite a while to find a translator. I have to say I got turned away b... See more
I got some thought while reading discussions in another topic and decided to open a new topic of discussion. We all (or almost all) would like to get jobs from Proz. The first thing that could jump out in front of potential clients is our profile page. However, it seems we didn't pay enough attention to what we wrote in our profile page. Over the weekend, I got a project for E to TC. Because of the holiday in China, it took me quite a while to find a translator. I have to say I got turned away by some bad intro on member's profile page. I was shocked that some translators don't even pay attention to small things like spelling. Some of the intro page sounds too casual, not professional enough. This is just my personal opinion. I would like to hear from everybody on how to improve one's profile page.Collapse

Jason Ma
Jason Ma  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 16:38
English to Chinese
+ ...
Hi! Huang Tingting Feb 25, 2007

Hi! Huang Tingting,

I am a new comer at Proz. I am quite interested in your topic.
Although I have done translation on and off in China for years, this is the first time I expose myself in international job market. The topic you introduced should be very informative to me.
From my experience, when it comes to compose a profile page, sincerity and honesty is first thing first.

Thank you in advance.

chance (X)
chance (X)
French to Chinese
+ ...
谈一点不成熟的看法 Feb 25, 2007

个人页面最好写得简明扼要,突出自己的特点,太长的我是不看。还要真实,否则瞎吹或抄袭,对不起客户,最后还会给自己找麻烦。

我的个人页面就不怎么样,基本来这里4年就没改过,但我写的那些专业,基本上是我干过的企业或是学过的专业,不一定精通,但多少懂一点。以前在PROZ找工作就是这样写的,现在不需要在这里找工作也还是那个页面,无所谓。有些人也许只是来查看论坛,或是偶然提提问,所以也不在乎个人页面?

我在这里和其它网站寻找译者时也发现婷婷所说的问题,个人页面突出特点,确实有利于人家来找你。但是我自己做的不怎样,也提不出更多好建议。

还发现,凡是我在KUDOZ或论坛,或是通过个人页面发现较有特点的译者往往也都很忙,这点值得思考

[Edited at 2007-02-25 16:07]

isahuang
isahuang
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
简明扼要 Feb 25, 2007

chance wrote:

个人页面最好写得简明扼要,突出自己的特点,太长的我是不看。还要真实,否则瞎吹或抄袭,对不起客户,最后还会给自己找麻烦。

我的个人页面就不怎么样,基本来这里4年就没改过,但我写的那些专业,基本上是我干过的企业或是学过的专业,不一定精通,但多少懂一点。以前在PROZ找工作就是这样写的,现在不需要在这里找工作也还是那个页面,无所谓。有些人也许只是来查看论坛,或是偶然提提问,所以也不在乎个人页面?

我在这里和其它网站寻找译者时也发现婷婷所说的问题,个人页面突出特点,确实有利于人家来找你。但是我自己做的不怎样,也提不出更多好建议。

还发现,凡是我在KUDOZ或论坛,或是通过个人页面发现较有特点的译者往往也都很忙,这点值得思考

[Edited at 2007-02-25 16:07]

我也觉得个人页面应写得简单点,重要的是 to the point。长篇大论的我很少看。这让我想起,学校的很多 resume workshop,老师总是对我们说,简历一定不要超过两页,一页为最佳,据老师说,很多 HR 主管没时间看冗长的简历。

chance (X)
chance (X)
French to Chinese
+ ...
不少译社都是全能 Feb 25, 2007

网站也挺漂亮,实际一接触,就知道不是那么回事,所以我现在不再找译社了。

isahuang
isahuang
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
好翻译不好找 Feb 25, 2007

chance wrote:

网站也挺漂亮,实际一接触,就知道不是那么回事,所以我现在不再找译社了。

好的翻译真的很难找,我找到的可以合作的翻译是通过观察其在 KudoZ 中的表现,然后再去看这位翻译的个人介绍。不过个人页面对新人还是比较重要的。像我这样找翻译的方法,觉得某位翻译还不错,可是到了个人页面上却发现拼写错误,这就好像是给我浇了一头冷水。

Wenjer Leuschel (X)
Wenjer Leuschel (X)  Identity Verified
Taiwan
English to Chinese
+ ...
實話實說 Feb 25, 2007

每個人一天都只有二十四小時,能做多少事,大概算得出來,還是不要做太多宣傳給自己惹麻煩的好。

ProZ.com 這裡,簡直是登記了會員就源源不盡有客戶找上門來,讓人不得不好好選擇客戶。這兩年來,幾乎找上門的客戶就再也不會跑掉,總是隔一段時間就來些稿件,自己沒時間做又找不到適當的人做,蠻為難的,隨便推薦人又不安心,可推薦的人又跟自己一樣,都忙得很。看看那些人的 profiles 是怎麼寫的,呵,都跟自己的一樣,幾乎什麼也沒寫!

這是怎麼回事,說真話,我真的搞不懂。

chance (X)
chance (X)
French to Chinese
+ ...
这样的问题可以原谅,也可以慢慢培养 Feb 25, 2007

我现在合作的几位多少都有理解问题,所以我自己把关,忙时还是有人帮忙好。

Tingting Huang wrote:

好的翻译真的很难找,我找到的可以合作的翻译是通过观察其在 KudoZ 中的表现,然后再去看这位翻译的个人介绍。不过个人页面对新人还是比较重要的。像我这样找翻译的方法,觉得某位翻译还不错,可是到了个人页面上却发现拼写错误,这就好像是给我浇了一头冷水。

isahuang
isahuang
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
有同感 Feb 25, 2007

chance wrote:

我现在合作的几位多少都有理解问题,所以我自己把关,忙时还是有人帮忙好。

Tingting Huang wrote:

我有与你同样的感受。每个项目总使自己最后把关,这样才算对客户负责。three heads are better than one. 我好像不是“忙时还是有人帮忙好”,而是偷懒时还是有人帮忙比较好。

isahuang
isahuang
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
写与不写 Feb 25, 2007

Wenjer Leuschel wrote:

每個人一天都只有二十四小時,能做多少事,大概算得出來,還是不要做太多宣傳給自己惹麻煩的好。

ProZ.com 這裡,簡直是登記了會員就源源不盡有客戶找上門來,讓人不得不好好選擇客戶。這兩年來,幾乎找上門的客戶就再也不會跑掉,總是隔一段時間就來些稿件,自己沒時間做又找不到適當的人做,蠻為難的,隨便推薦人又不安心,可推薦的人又跟自己一樣,都忙得很。看看那些人的 profiles 是怎麼寫的,呵,都跟自己的一樣,幾乎什麼也沒寫!

這是怎麼回事,說真話,我真的搞不懂。

要么不写,要写就好好写。好好写不一定是长篇大论,简单的几句话也可以,但如果在简短的几句话里出现拼写错误,这足以把客户吓跑。

chance (X)
chance (X)
French to Chinese
+ ...
说实话: Feb 25, 2007

你是沾了德语光,我是沾了法语光,如果是英语,情况会不同。

Wenjer Leuschel wrote:

這是怎麼回事,說真話,我真的搞不懂。

isahuang
isahuang
English to Chinese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
你是说到点儿上了 Feb 25, 2007

chance wrote:

Wenjer Leuschel wrote:

這是怎麼回事,說真話,我真的搞不懂。

英语的竞争太厉害,不能像你们那么牛。哎,现在改学其它语为时已晚。会阿拉伯语就更风光了。

chance (X)
chance (X)
French to Chinese
+ ...
我看你年轻聪明 Feb 25, 2007

学阿拉伯语应该可以。

我还想过要学呢,后来想想还是把希望寄托在女儿身上吧

Tingting Huang wrote:

Wenjer Leuschel (X)
Wenjer Leuschel (X)  Identity Verified
Taiwan
English to Chinese
+ ...
當年翻譯佛經時... Feb 26, 2007

Tingting Huang wrote:
chance wrote:
Wenjer Leuschel wrote:

這是怎麼回事,說真話,我真的搞不懂。

想當年翻譯佛經時,西域有多少種語言呢?有些佛經直接從梵文翻譯的,有些輾轉翻譯的。到底哪一種語文的翻譯才吃香呢?

今日的翻譯又何嘗不是如此?德文的翻譯一般都是先轉成英文,然後再發包從英文轉成中文,據說成本低了不少。所以,會德文一點也不吃香。我還曾經拿到英文版的,讀起來還不如德文版的順利,最後乾脆給交給別人做了。

一千零一夜似乎至今還沒有人直接從阿拉伯文翻譯成中文的。我看,誰那麼做了,後頭的麻煩一定一大堆。信不信?

Jianjun Zhang
Jianjun Zhang  Identity Verified
China
English to Chinese
+ ...
当然有 Feb 26, 2007

Wenjer Leuschel wrote:
一千零一夜似乎至今還沒有人直接從阿拉伯文翻譯成中文的。我看,誰那麼做了,後頭的麻煩一定一大堆。信不信?

当然有。回族学者纳训早就翻译过,我小时候就读过人民文学出版社的这个版本。而且既然有人可以从阿文直接翻译《古兰经》,其他的阿文著作根本不在话下。

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Improve your profile page

Pastey
Your smart companion app

Pastey is an innovative desktop application that bridges the gap between human expertise and artificial intelligence. With intuitive keyboard shortcuts, Pastey transforms your source text into AI-powered draft translations.

Find out more »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »