https://www.proz.com/forum/office_applications/100636-word_2000_spellcheck_gone_mad.html?text=Word%202000%20spellcheck%20gone%20mad%20%28Office%20applications%29

Word 2000 spellcheck gone mad
Thread poster: Jan Neumann
Jan Neumann
Jan Neumann  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 17:09
Member (2007)
English to German
Mar 26, 2008

Hi - I wonder if anybody can help.

I have Office 2000, translate English to German.

From one minute to the next, my Word 2000 has stopped recognising English text and everything is underlined in pink, even though the text is correctly defined as BE or AE and doesn't contain any errors. Unlike before, unrecognised words in German text are also underlined.

Language recognition is disabled. Spellcheck is disabled.

I've tried to repair using the Of
... See more
Hi - I wonder if anybody can help.

I have Office 2000, translate English to German.

From one minute to the next, my Word 2000 has stopped recognising English text and everything is underlined in pink, even though the text is correctly defined as BE or AE and doesn't contain any errors. Unlike before, unrecognised words in German text are also underlined.

Language recognition is disabled. Spellcheck is disabled.

I've tried to repair using the Office CD and when this didn't work completely reinstalled the whole Office package (twice, deinstalling once via the Office CD and once via Settings, Software). No joy; the problem persists. I'm at a complete loss.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jan Neumann
Collapse

Antoní­n Otáhal
Antoní­n Otáhal
Member (2005)
English to Czech
+ ...
Try just deleting Normal.dot Mar 26, 2008

(It reamains there even when you re-install MSO.)

So, close MS Word. Find the "Normal.dot" file in path "[C:] - Documents and Settings - [user] - Appliation Data - Microsoft - Templates" (I write dashes instead of backslashes here); you have to set "Show hidden files and folders" and unclick "Hide protected operating system files" in Explorer menu "Tools" - "Folder Options", tab "View" (if you unclick "Hide extensiosn for known file types" it will not hurt either).

Now
... See more
(It reamains there even when you re-install MSO.)

So, close MS Word. Find the "Normal.dot" file in path "[C:] - Documents and Settings - [user] - Appliation Data - Microsoft - Templates" (I write dashes instead of backslashes here); you have to set "Show hidden files and folders" and unclick "Hide protected operating system files" in Explorer menu "Tools" - "Folder Options", tab "View" (if you unclick "Hide extensiosn for known file types" it will not hurt either).

Now, open Word again: the standard Normal.dot will be created automatically.

HTH

Antonin
Collapse

Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:09
Russian to English
+ ...
In memoriam
Is "Set Language" OK? Mar 26, 2008

This may not help; when you say "language recognition is disabled", maybe you mean this feature won't work.
But it looks as if the "Set language" for your English texts is German.
Tools>Language>Set Language>select English.

Jan Neumann
Germany
Member (2007)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Set language is ok Mar 27, 2008

Thanks but Set Language is ok - set to English. BE or AE, doesn't matter.

I noticed working with it since that the spellcheck is running in the background the whole time and uses up around 100% of CPU capacity. So my machine has gone extremely slow.

Jan

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Disable 'check spelling as you type' Mar 27, 2008

It's probably a silly question, but have you tried disabling 'check spelling as you type'? It may not be the cure you need, but it might stop your machine from going mad, while you look for the underlying problem.

Boyan Brezinsky
Boyan Brezinsky  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 18:09
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Service pack Mar 27, 2008

Since you didn't mention it, I'd suggest installing the latest Service Pack for MS Office - for Office 2000 that would be SP3. And if you use the MS Office Proofing Tools - as opposed to a German version of Office - install the appropriate SP for them as well. Frankly, I am not certain if there has been an SP for Proofing Tools. I know there is a separate SP for Multilanguage User Interface, but maybe the Proofing Tools don't have their own SP.
After you install these SPs, go to Microsoft
... See more
Since you didn't mention it, I'd suggest installing the latest Service Pack for MS Office - for Office 2000 that would be SP3. And if you use the MS Office Proofing Tools - as opposed to a German version of Office - install the appropriate SP for them as well. Frankly, I am not certain if there has been an SP for Proofing Tools. I know there is a separate SP for Multilanguage User Interface, but maybe the Proofing Tools don't have their own SP.
After you install these SPs, go to Microsoft Windows Update site and update from there. Do not agree to use the new version of Update, I think it was called 'Microsoft Update', it has caused problems in the past.
I haven't come across such a problem before, so I don't know if my suggestions would help. But at least the situation won't get any worse
Collapse

Jan Neumann
Germany
Member (2007)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Spellchecking as you type is disabled Mar 27, 2008

Thanks Tony,

But Spellchecking as you type is disabled.
It is also disabled in the Normal.dot.
I have also deleted the old Normal.dot as is advised on some Internet pages, so that Word created a new one. No change.

Word runs the spellcheck anyway - and as I said, this despite having been completely reinstalled.

I'm at a complete loss.

Jan

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Is this happening with one file only or with all files? Mar 27, 2008

?

Jan Neumann
Germany
Member (2007)
English to German
TOPIC STARTER
Working again Mar 27, 2008

Thanks for all your input.

Problem resolved itself - don't know why or how.

SP3 was installed.
All files were affected.

Now everything seems to be working fine again.

Best regards

Jan

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Don't you just love it? Mar 27, 2008

Jan Neumann wrote:

Problem resolved itself - don't know why or how.

Great - so if it happens again, you won't know why and you still won't know how to stop it ! Fingers crossed it never does happen again.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word 2000 spellcheck gone mad

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »