https://www.proz.com/forum/money_matters/137834-interesting_new_debt_collection_method.html

Interesting new debt collection method!
Thread poster: Louisa Berry
Louisa Berry
Louisa Berry
United Kingdom
Local time: 03:59
Member (2009)
German to English
Jun 17, 2009

For those of you in the UK, this is an interesting way of getting someone to pay your bill! http://paymentchicken.com/
I'm not seriously looking at using it, a friend sent me the link

It certainly brighten up my day!

Louisa

Attila Piróth
Attila Piróth  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 04:59
English to Hungarian
+ ...
One very disturbing thing Jun 17, 2009

While the service proposed on their website might be interesting, I find the contents of their "Destiny Forum" extremely disturbing. What does this kind of material have to do with their professional services? Is it any kind of indication of where (a part of) the collected money is going? Or is the Destiny forum the real stuff where they want to attract more visitors by this funny shop window?

Attila

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Do they serve translators? Jun 17, 2009

In their website:
We regret that we do not work on behalf of or do collections from private individuals.

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 23:59
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
A similar system Jun 17, 2009

I was told that many years ago in Rio de Janeiro (I live in Sao Paulo, 400 km from there) there was such a firm. They would send a fat (more visibility) man wearing a checkered orange, yellow, and black jacket, with "debt collector" written in large black letters on the back, to stand by the debtor's premises.

Angela Dickson (X)
Angela Dickson (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
hmm Jun 17, 2009

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

In their website:
We regret that we do not work on behalf of or do collections from private individuals.

They do business-to-business collections, which to my mind includes sole traders.

I agree with Attila; their link to "Destiny Forums" seems to be more than just a link exchange, so I wouldn't be interested in using their services, though the collection method is a nice idea.

They also only serve London-based businesses. If I lived in London and had such a problem I'd go to the client's office myself and make a nuisance of myself until someone wrote me a cheque.

Rosa Diez Tagarro
Rosa Diez Tagarro  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Nothing new under the sun Jun 17, 2009

There are at least a couple of firms offering a similar service in Spain, probably more.

They send a man wearing tails and driving a car with "debt collector in tails" written in large letters to stand by the debtor's premises and also pay him some visits to request payment.

I myself used their services a few years back, when a Spanish agency owed a group of translators a large sum of money. They weren't any good and we never got paid.

Regards,

... See more
There are at least a couple of firms offering a similar service in Spain, probably more.

They send a man wearing tails and driving a car with "debt collector in tails" written in large letters to stand by the debtor's premises and also pay him some visits to request payment.

I myself used their services a few years back, when a Spanish agency owed a group of translators a large sum of money. They weren't any good and we never got paid.

Regards,

Rosa
Collapse

Kitty Maerz
Kitty Maerz  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Similar strategy Jun 17, 2009

I know of a company selling pharmaceutical supplies that had a lot of problems with pharmacies reluctant to pay their bills. As a last resort, the company would send their representatives to remind the pharmacists about the bills. The reps would always make certain to go there when the pharmacy was full of customers and to talk in a loud voice, causing the maximum amount of embarrassment. Apparently, that was quite a successful method for debt collection.

Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
cobrador del frac in Spain:-) Jun 17, 2009

Debt recoverer wearing evening dress.

http://www.elcobradordelfrac.com/

See also (English)
http://www.france24.com/en/20081021-report-spain-real-estate-crisis-debt-collector-top-hat-tails-shame

John Farebrother
John Farebrother  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
Get tough Jun 17, 2009

I find that threats usually work.
Threats can range from contacting the individual's superior, calling in debt collectors, taking legal action, right through to turning up and seizing their property.

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Swedish to English
+ ...
Am I the only one Jun 17, 2009

Who thinks this is a joke site?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Interesting new debt collection method!

Translation news

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »