Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:50
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Jan 23, 2003

Dear All,

If you receive anything from [email protected] - DO NOT OPEN THE ATTACHMENT. Although Outlook blocked the attachment on some machines, it does not always block every potential harmful attachment. Please see the following article for more information:

A new virus, known as Sobig, is spreading rapidly on the Internet, infecting machines worldwide. The virus, which attacks Windows machines running Micro
... See more
Dear All,

If you receive anything from [email protected] - DO NOT OPEN THE ATTACHMENT. Although Outlook blocked the attachment on some machines, it does not always block every potential harmful attachment. Please see the following article for more information:

A new virus, known as Sobig, is spreading rapidly on the Internet, infecting machines worldwide. The virus, which attacks Windows machines running Microsoft Corp.\'s Outlook e-mail client, was first seen late last week but has since picked up considerable steam.

Although it\'s momentum has slowed somewhat, the worm that has been flooding inboxes all week is still spreading fairly rapidly. Sobig is the latest in a series of recent mass-mailers and seems set to continue wreaking havoc over the long holiday weekend. By Friday afternoon, MessageLabs Ltd., a British MSP that tracks viruses, had stopped more than 62,000 copies of Sobig and was still seeing as many as 7,000 a day.

Not much is known about the virus at this point, but it seems to be a mass-mailing worm that behaves much like the Lirva worm that began spreading last week. It arrives via e-mail, always in a message from the address [email protected] and carrying one of four subject lines:

Re: Movies

Re: Document

Re: here is that sample

Re: Sample

The message also includes an attachment, whose filename could include Document003.pif, Sample.pif, Movie_0074.mpeg.pif and Untitled1.pif, according to MessageLabs analysis of the virus. Sobig uses its own SMTP (simple mail transfer protocol) engine to mail copies of itself to addresses that it finds on the infected machine\'s hard drive and e-mail address book. The virus also copies itself to two shared folders on shared network drives.

Sobig then downloads from a Geocities site a file that contains a link to another file located elsewhere on the Internet. The worm downloads this second file and executes it on the infected machine. It\'s unclear what the file does.

Anti-virus vendor Trend Micro Inc. said the worm may also send an e-mail to its creator, notifying him of which machines are infected.

Collapse

María Alejandra Funes
María Alejandra Funes
Local time: 02:50
English to Spanish
+ ...
Thanks for the info! Jan 23, 2003

Regards,

ALE

Thijs van Dorssen
Thijs van Dorssen  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:50
Member (2002)
Dutch to German
+ ...
Dr. Norton... Jan 23, 2003

Dr. Norton takes care of it!

But only if you keep him up-to-date. Now more than ever it is imperative to update your anti-virus software every day.

I have the best possible experiences with Norton Anti Virus. It allows you to do an update every day. I have not had any problems with virusses ever since I have it installed.

No, I neither work for them, nor do I have shares in Symantec corp. (o:

Best regards,... See more
Dr. Norton takes care of it!

But only if you keep him up-to-date. Now more than ever it is imperative to update your anti-virus software every day.

I have the best possible experiences with Norton Anti Virus. It allows you to do an update every day. I have not had any problems with virusses ever since I have it installed.

No, I neither work for them, nor do I have shares in Symantec corp. (o:

Best regards,

Thijs
Collapse

AZRA AKARTUNA
AZRA AKARTUNA  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 08:50
English to Turkish
+ ...
Virus Alert Jan 23, 2003

Thanks for warning Monika.

Azra

Myron Netchypor
Myron Netchypor  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Member (2003)
English to Ukrainian
+ ...

I've got a message infected with it too Jan 23, 2003

I\'ve got a message infected with this virus, and my antivirus program DrWeb didn\'t recognized it, but when I looked at extention - exe - I caught - it was a virus

Judy Rojas
Judy Rojas  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 01:50
Spanish to English
+ ...
If you have Norton, get LiveUpdate Jan 23, 2003

I have Norton AV, but was always forgetting to update the database. I then invested US$21 for a year\'s subscription to LiveUpdate and it does it automatically. I don\'t have to worry about keeping the database updated with the latest virus definitions any more. It\'s worth the investment. I also do not work for Symantec nor do I have shares in the company

Johann Kristjansson
Johann Kristjansson  Identity Verified
Iceland
Local time: 05:50
English to Icelandic
I received this one too Jan 23, 2003

I got this virus some days ago. Fortunately I didn\'t know this \"[email protected]\" so I had my anti-virus system, F-Stop, look at the attachments, and it identified the virus immediately.

JRK

ttagir
ttagir  Identity Verified
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...
Read AVP more freuqently to avoid mailing viri Jan 23, 2003

Dear all:

As is widely known, the best antiviral tool is DrWeb (people writing codes of DrWeb worked earlier in the same huge company \"Dialogue\" which I worked for too 7+ years; afterwards company divided into many professional branches related to computing, hard- and software, banking, etc.).

Almost next place is occupied by the famous AVP (written by Kaspersky). If you wish to know more about modern e-mail viri, simply vi
... See more
Dear all:

As is widely known, the best antiviral tool is DrWeb (people writing codes of DrWeb worked earlier in the same huge company \"Dialogue\" which I worked for too 7+ years; afterwards company divided into many professional branches related to computing, hard- and software, banking, etc.).

Almost next place is occupied by the famous AVP (written by Kaspersky). If you wish to know more about modern e-mail viri, simply visit www.avp.ru (they have English pages as well) and you will be acquainted with \"last achievements\" in the field:

I-Worm.Avron

I-Worm.Sobig

Worm.P2P.Lolol

I-Worm.Winevar

I-Worm.Bridex (aka Brid)

I-Worm.Tanatos (aka BugBear)

Worm.Win32.Opasoft (aka Opaserv, aka Brasil), etc.

Please note that during last competitions the only software catching and killing all known viri is DrWeb.

Clean mail and healthy HDDs to all!

Yours,

Tagir.

Collapse

lien
lien
Netherlands
Local time: 07:50
English to French
+ ...
AVG anti virus Jan 24, 2003

I use AVG anti-virus system www.grisoft.com

It is free and update itself automatically once or some twice a week.

At the end of every email it shows :

Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).

Version: 6.0.445 / Virus
... See more
I use AVG anti-virus system www.grisoft.com

It is free and update itself automatically once or some twice a week.

At the end of every email it shows :

Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

Checked by AVG anti-virus system (http://www.grisoft.com).

Version: 6.0.445 / Virus Database: 250 - Release Date: 21/Jan/03

You can run a check of the computer every time you want or schedule it.

Lien

Collapse

Arthur Borges
Arthur Borges
China
Local time: 13:50
English
+ ...
I use AVG too, it is indeed free and I've never been infected. Jan 25, 2003

Thank heavens.

Bonita Mc Donald
Bonita Mc Donald
Local time: 23:50
Spanish to English
+ ...
My computer caught the e-mail virus, too, and AVG worked like a charm Mar 12, 2003

Thanks for the alert and the antivirus program recommendations, guys. I got this one in my mailbox about 2 hours ago and AVG took care of it fast.

You\'re all the greatest,

Bonnie

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

NEW EMAIL VIRUS - [email protected]

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »