https://www.proz.com/forum/translator_resources/24959-seeking%3A_software_to_compare_two_texts.html

Seeking: Software to compare two texts
Thread poster: James Pennington (X)
James Pennington (X)
James Pennington (X)
Local time: 18:28
English to Spanish
+ ...
Sep 22, 2004

I often receive two similar texts from clients for translation. In order to give them a price break, I try to translate one text fully, and only translate the new sections in the 2nd text. That way they're not paying for all the identical sections twice. Is there software (not necessarily CAT) out there that will allow me to compare two English texts and show the differences between them? I'm basically looking for a quicker way to provide an estimated word count in these situations, as well as q... See more
I often receive two similar texts from clients for translation. In order to give them a price break, I try to translate one text fully, and only translate the new sections in the 2nd text. That way they're not paying for all the identical sections twice. Is there software (not necessarily CAT) out there that will allow me to compare two English texts and show the differences between them? I'm basically looking for a quicker way to provide an estimated word count in these situations, as well as quickly prepare the files for translation.

Thank you.
Collapse

Robert Zawadzki (X)
Robert Zawadzki (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:28
English to Polish
+ ...
For text files Diff/Windiff Sep 22, 2004

Rather a programmer's tool. CAT's better.

Elvira Stoianov
Elvira Stoianov  Identity Verified
Luxembourg
German to Romanian
+ ...
Word does it too Sep 22, 2004

Word also has a Compare documents function in the Tools menu (you could try it, before investing in any other tools). Naturally I would also recommend CAT tools, which would boost your output significantly.

[Edited at 2004-09-22 18:57]

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
Word Sep 22, 2004

with Word you can compare 2 documents.
Tools/Compare Version (or something like that)

Regards

RobinB
RobinB  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 20:28
German to English
Relatively cheap shareware Sep 22, 2004

James,

The heavy-duty program for this is called DeltaView, as used e.g. by lawyers the world over for blacklining. Extremely expensive, though. Check out shareware alternatives (DiffDoc and WordDocDiff) at:

http://www.softinterface.com/Compare-File-Programs/Compare-File-Programs.HTM

The support for Excel is also interesti
... See more
James,

The heavy-duty program for this is called DeltaView, as used e.g. by lawyers the world over for blacklining. Extremely expensive, though. Check out shareware alternatives (DiffDoc and WordDocDiff) at:

http://www.softinterface.com/Compare-File-Programs/Compare-File-Programs.HTM

The support for Excel is also interesting here, I think.

HTH,

Robin
Collapse

dieter haake
dieter haake  Identity Verified
Austria
Italian to German
+ ...
word doesn't work Sep 22, 2004

Toledo wrote:

Regards

did you try it? It's a bug -
(greetings from BG),
but I think word 97 should do it.

didi

James Pennington (X)
James Pennington (X)
Local time: 18:28
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Word works for short documents Sep 22, 2004

dieter haake wrote:

Toledo wrote:

Regards

did you try it? It's a bug -
(greetings from BG),
but I think word 97 should do it.

didi

For larger documents, it is really messy. Still, I might find a way to use it that will save me some time.

Thank you all very much for your responses.

James

Mario Cerutti
Mario Cerutti  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 10:28
Italian to Japanese
+ ...
Compare it! Sep 23, 2004

James Pennington wrote:

Is there software (not necessarily CAT) out there that will allow me to compare two English texts and show the differences between them?

Thank you.

Works very well with DOC files too:

http://www.grigsoft.com/index.htm

Mario Cerutti

vixen
vixen  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 04:28
English to Dutch
+ ...
Trados Analyse function Sep 23, 2004

If you are using Trados, you can use the Analyse function (Tools > Analyse, then adding the files that need to be translated). This will give you an overview of 100% and fuzzy matches (in existing TM, repetitions and new text.

[Edited at 2004-09-23 13:57]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Trados Analyse not useful here Sep 30, 2004

vixen wrote:
If you are using Trados, you can use the Analyse function (Tools > Analyse, then adding the files that need to be translated). This will give you an overview of 100% and fuzzy matches (in existing TM, repetitions and new text.

Wordfast has the same feature. You create an empty TM, then open all the documents in Word, and analyse them against the empty TM. Wordfast will then give you a list of exact and fuzzy matches by number of segments, words and percentage-wise.

However, this feature (if the one in Trados works the same) also finds exact matches *within* the document... which skews the result. The OP wanted to know how much text overlaps between two documents, and not how many segments overlap within the combination of the two documents.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Seeking: Software to compare two texts

Translation news

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »