https://www.proz.com/forum/business_issues/23045-how_much_to_charge_for_book.html

How much to charge for book?
Thread poster: Nikolaus Halter
Nikolaus Halter
Nikolaus Halter  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:38
English to German
+ ...
Jul 19, 2004

I have a question.

Does one generally charge more per word for book translations? Or less, since it's steady work for a month or more?

Thanks,
Nikolaus Halter

Agua
Agua  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not too sure, but not less... Jul 19, 2004

Hello,

I do not know for sure. I think you should get standard rates plus a percentage for royalties.

Charging less because it is steady does not make sense, because you would be lowering your quality of life and may be even lose clients because you can not do other projects, while not earning the same money...

Best,

Mar

Jan Pott (X)
Jan Pott (X)  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 01:38
German to Dutch
+ ...
It all depends... Jul 19, 2004

Assuming you're not one of those lucky people that are so much in demand that they have assignments that keep them busy 36 hours or more per week...
assuming that your rate is based on bridgeing those idle hours and what drop if you had a steady supply of assignments...
you can charge less for the translation of a book that keeps you busy for a month or more.
I've dropped as much as 25 % in times I had little work. But, I always bargain for a deadline that gives me enough flexi
... See more
Assuming you're not one of those lucky people that are so much in demand that they have assignments that keep them busy 36 hours or more per week...
assuming that your rate is based on bridgeing those idle hours and what drop if you had a steady supply of assignments...
you can charge less for the translation of a book that keeps you busy for a month or more.
I've dropped as much as 25 % in times I had little work. But, I always bargain for a deadline that gives me enough flexibility to do small assignments on the side, to keep the regular customers happy. If no work comes up on the side, I can deliver the book translation so much earlier, which always makes publishers happy...
Collapse

Lorenzo Lilli
Lorenzo Lilli  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:38
German to Italian
+ ...
My 2 cents Jul 20, 2004

Hi, have a look at this recent thread http://www.proz.com/topic/22762. I think it really depends on the rates in your country.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How much to charge for book?

Translation news

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »