Luis Quirindongo
Luis Quirindongo  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 10:06
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jan 5, 2004

In my previous post I mentioned how I have a client who wants a machine translation system implemented from English to Chinese and other Asian languages... Well, the decision maker chose to go ahead with using MT for Chinese, so I have to buy an application.

Which MT tool would you reccommend for doing Eng>Chinese translation? (The best or "most decent" one)

And,

are there any good EN>ZH glossaries or dictionaries out there in DOC, RTF, PDF, TXT or some ot
... See more
In my previous post I mentioned how I have a client who wants a machine translation system implemented from English to Chinese and other Asian languages... Well, the decision maker chose to go ahead with using MT for Chinese, so I have to buy an application.

Which MT tool would you reccommend for doing Eng>Chinese translation? (The best or "most decent" one)

And,

are there any good EN>ZH glossaries or dictionaries out there in DOC, RTF, PDF, TXT or some other kind of document/HTML format? Chinese to English is acceptable too, i can use some macros to reformat it and invert the direction.

I especially need colloquial and phrase/idiom dictionaries since much of the material they plan to translate at the moment is colloquial or semi-colloquial.

Thanks to all!

Luis

--PS: If you can give me an idea of the percentage of accuracy and/or PRICE of the MT tool you reccommend, please do
Collapse

chance (X)
chance (X)
French to Chinese
+ ...
Take your chance ?! Jan 5, 2004

Hi Luis,

Your client is really stubborn!

In fact, he can find some good translators at very reasonable rate, instead of non-reliable MT.

I have never tried any Chinese MT, so I cannot tell anything about, but I made a Google research and found
... See more
Hi Luis,

In fact, he can find some good translators at very reasonable rate, instead of non-reliable MT.

I have never tried any Chinese MT, so I cannot tell anything about, but I made a Google research and found this link: http://www.translation.net/chinese.html#computer

If you buy a MT tool, you can then ask some Chinese translators to check the percentage of accuracy. I am interested to know it too.

Good luck!
Collapse

Katarzyna Proctor, Dr. (X)
Katarzyna Proctor, Dr. (X)
United States
Local time: 07:06
Chinese to Polish
+ ...
good luck Jan 5, 2004

chance wrote:

Hi Luis,

I have never tried any Chinese MT, so I cannot tell anything about, but I made a Google research and found this link: http://www.translation.net/chinese.html#computer

If you buy a MT tool, you can then ask some Chinese translators to check the percentage of accuracy. I am interested to know it too.

Good luck!

Hello,

I would also be interested in accuracy of such translations! Well, good luck Luis!!!

Denyce Seow
Denyce Seow  Identity Verified
Singapore
Local time: 22:06
Chinese to English
Glossaries Jan 5, 2004

Hi Luis!!

I can't think of any EN>ZH MT tool I can/dare to recommend to you. I have never use any myself and the one that I bought for trial, it ended up in the bin (this is the third/fourth time I can saying this???? Sorry, still feeling the pinch!!).

are there any good EN>ZH glossaries or dictionaries out there in DOC, RTF, PDF, TXT or some other kind of document/HTML format? Chinese to English is accept
... See more
Hi Luis!!

I can't think of any EN>ZH MT tool I can/dare to recommend to you. I have never use any myself and the one that I bought for trial, it ended up in the bin (this is the third/fourth time I can saying this???? Sorry, still feeling the pinch!!).

are there any good EN>ZH glossaries or dictionaries out there in DOC, RTF, PDF, TXT or some other kind of document/HTML format? Chinese to English is acceptable too, i can use some macros to reformat it and invert the direction.

Actually, I have some "home-made" EN>ZH glossaries in DOC format. I am searching for a software that I can use to create an electronic dictionary. Would that be a terminology management software???? Saving my glossaries in DOC format is simply crazy. The amount of disk space it takes up and the hassle in looking up term (I have to use Ctrl-F and sometimes it is just too slow)....

Hmm... if you know of any software which sounds like what I need, please let me know.

Cheers,
Denyce
Collapse

Luis Quirindongo
Luis Quirindongo  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 10:06
Member (2014)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Glossary tool Jan 6, 2004

Denyce,

I am working on a tool wich does precisely what you mentioned, so I can send it to you after I'm done encoding it. It is actually a plugin for the MT engine but functions as a standalone perfectly. It saves in .txt and does not load the document into RAM while writing to it, so it is a real space saver.
What it does is allow for real-time glossary creation. If while you are translating you come across a word that you believe should be in the glossary, you highlight it
... See more
Denyce,

I am working on a tool wich does precisely what you mentioned, so I can send it to you after I'm done encoding it. It is actually a plugin for the MT engine but functions as a standalone perfectly. It saves in .txt and does not load the document into RAM while writing to it, so it is a real space saver.
What it does is allow for real-time glossary creation. If while you are translating you come across a word that you believe should be in the glossary, you highlight it and click a button in Word. It would show you boxes to write the text in the source and then the target language. After you click the second box it would add the pair to the glossary (tab delimited). This might take one or two weeks to complete (takes about 10 KB total.) It is a Word macro, so the document you are extracting word from must be open in Word, but the actual glossary is done in TXT.

To do good searches in a TXT file, try Crimson Editor. It's like Notepad but on steroids

I am also working on non-Word alphabetic sorting but that may take more time. You need to load everything into something called a "two dimensional array" which can be very complicated to write.

Well, anyway, it seems that not many people use these tools so I will take a look myself. But could you help me evaluate the translations? I could give you some of these plugins once I'm done encoding them.

Thanks,
Luis
Collapse

Denyce Seow
Denyce Seow  Identity Verified
Singapore
Chinese to English
Tester Jan 6, 2004

Hi Luis,

Sure, I will volunteer as your "tester". Once you are done with your program, you can send it to me and I will do a test on it. Be sure I will "torture" your program and see what is the BEST it can do!! So, be prepared. *wink*

Good luck!!!!

Cheers,
Denyce

[Edited at 2004-01-06 17:59]

Shang
Shang
China
English to Chinese
EN>ZN glossaries May 11, 2004

And,

are there any good EN>ZH glossaries or dictionaries out there in DOC, RTF, PDF, TXT or some other kind of document/HTML format?

I have some glossaries and dictionaries, and would like to share them with you and others. Please tell me your email address.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Which Eng>Chi MT tool should I buy?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »