Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:44
Flemish to English
+ ...
Feb 23, 2006

From a utility bill :

Don't forget to pay on time.
Give preference to a monthly payment order. For a reminder, we will charge you x €/£/$.
Would this be feasible/applicable for translation-invoices?

[Edited at 2006-02-23 10:05]

Clare Barnes
Clare Barnes  Identity Verified
Sweden
Local time: 03:44
Swedish to English
+ ...
reminder fee Feb 23, 2006

I don't think it's inappropriate to add that you will charge a penalty fee if you need to send a reminder - I have a note on all my invoices saying that I'll do so and how much I'll charge (as well as a specified date for when payment is due). Whether it encourages people to pay on time or not I don't know...

NancyLynn
NancyLynn
Canada
Local time: 21:44
Member (2002)
French to English
+ ...

Do you enforce it? Feb 23, 2006

Do you enforce this? You would know if it works...

Nancy

Clare Barnes
Sweden
Swedish to English
+ ...
I think I'm lucky... Feb 23, 2006

99.9% of my clients pay up on time - so maybe that means it does work (I've never had a payment delayed for any longer than a month). I don't think the actual amount of penalty fee is what makes people pay on time, rather the obvious pointer to them that I will notice and get on to them if they don't.

Monika Coulson
Monika Coulson  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:44
Member (2001)
English to Albanian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Any automatic reminders to notice a non-paid invoice? Feb 23, 2006

Dear Clare,
Please tell me if you have an easy way (i.e. some type of automatic reminder maybe?) to notice a non-paid invoice, without going back and checking all of them?
Many thanks,
Monika

Clare Barnes wrote:

99.9% of my clients pay up on time - so maybe that means it does work (I've never had a payment delayed for any longer than a month). I don't think the actual amount of penalty fee is what makes people pay on time, rather the obvious pointer to them that I will notice and get on to them if they don't.

Clare Barnes
Sweden
Swedish to English
+ ...
All manual... Feb 23, 2006

Hi Monica!
It's all manual - I print out my invoices and put them in a folder with the most recently sent ones at the back. That way the ones that are due next are nearest the top. When an invoice is paid I move it over into another section of the folder that's for "paid invoices". Basically, I can see the date when an invoice should have been paid as soon as I open the folder and can see if it's passed or not - if it has then perhaps it's time to check with the customer and see whether t
... See more
Hi Monica!
It's all manual - I print out my invoices and put them in a folder with the most recently sent ones at the back. That way the ones that are due next are nearest the top. When an invoice is paid I move it over into another section of the folder that's for "paid invoices". Basically, I can see the date when an invoice should have been paid as soon as I open the folder and can see if it's passed or not - if it has then perhaps it's time to check with the customer and see whether the money is on its way...

I'm a bit old fashioned - I like to have my records on paper as well as on the computer. I just find it easier to keep a check on things that way. I should also say that I don't send loads of invoices every month (probably 10-15) - I have a fair amount of middling size jobs - so that might also make things easier!

/Clare
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

From a utility bill....

Translation news

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »