https://www.proz.com/forum/wordfast_support/29715-wordfast_keeps_on_crashing.html

Wordfast keeps on crashing...
Thread poster: Estefanía González
Estefanía González
Estefanía González  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 05:34
English to Spanish
+ ...
Feb 23, 2005

Hi everyone!

I am translating a .doc file in which all the text is contained in a table.

The thing is that Wordfast has crashed several times (sth. that has not happened before). What can I do to prevent WF from crashing?

Moreover, the program has acknowledegd the end of translation several times, although I still have a lot to go before I am done. Well, I had to open the next segment and I carried on. So maybe it is not a big deal, just annoying. However,
... See more
Hi everyone!

I am translating a .doc file in which all the text is contained in a table.

The thing is that Wordfast has crashed several times (sth. that has not happened before). What can I do to prevent WF from crashing?

Moreover, the program has acknowledegd the end of translation several times, although I still have a lot to go before I am done. Well, I had to open the next segment and I carried on. So maybe it is not a big deal, just annoying. However, it is just weird...

Thanks for your advice.

Estefanía
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 07:34
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Does Word crash too? Feb 23, 2005

One of my clients sends me tables, that crash Word every time I edit them, so that I have to use Ooo1.1. But if only Wf stops translating there is something wrong with the tables. Did you look at it with all hidden characters shown? Perhaps you have to add some delimeters manually.
Regards
Heinrich

Estefanía González
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Word crashes too... Feb 23, 2005

Hi Heinrich,

I am afraid that Word crashes as well.

Regarding Ooo1, can you please give me some details about how to proceed? To be honest with you I don't know what it is

And regarding the delimeters, it might be another basic question , but what do I have to look for/change/ and-or replace?

Thanks a lot!

Estefanía

Ken Cox
Ken Cox  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:34
German to English
+ ...
a further suggestion Feb 23, 2005

A corrupt Word document is a distinct possibility -- older versions of Word in particular are prone to corruption of table formatting data. The fact that WF indicates the end of the session suggests it thinks it has reached the end of the available text.

You could try selecting the table and converting it to text. Of course, if the table has a complicated structure (merged or split cells), converting the text back to a table will take a bit of work. If converting the table to text s
... See more
A corrupt Word document is a distinct possibility -- older versions of Word in particular are prone to corruption of table formatting data. The fact that WF indicates the end of the session suggests it thinks it has reached the end of the available text.

You could try selecting the table and converting it to text. Of course, if the table has a complicated structure (merged or split cells), converting the text back to a table will take a bit of work. If converting the table to text solves the WF problem, I'd suggest notifying the client of the problem (and the rest is up to you...).

Ooo is presumably OpenOffice (a freeware office applications package that is an alternative to the MS applications, can open MS Office documents, and is generally less sensitive to document corruption than MS applications -- but it's not 100% compatible for document formatting).

Good luck!

[Edited at 2005-02-23 09:31]
Collapse

Estefanía González
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
to make things worse "source bookmark is missing" Feb 23, 2005

Hi again!

I just deleted a bookmark that I input manually by mistake.
The thing is that now, when I want to open the next segment and carry on with the translation, Wf would not allow it.

Error message "Source bookmark missing".

Can you please advise?

Thanks in adavance

Fernando Toledo
Fernando Toledo  Identity Verified
Spain
German to Spanish
You may try to prepare Feb 23, 2005

the doc with this tool.
http://soukie.wz.cz/atools/index.php

Maybe can it help

Rgds

Bruno Magne
Bruno Magne  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:34
English to French
+ ...
There is a way out.... Feb 23, 2005

HI, Estefanía

I hope you made a copy of your original file.

Check if your "Protect delimiters" function is on or off. It should be ON. That way, you could not accidentally delete any tag. What you can do for now is tart all over again using the copy you have.
Since all the parts of the text you have already translated are in your Translation memory, use the "Translate 100% until fuzzy". It's fast and you should quickly get back to where you were)

... See more
HI, Estefanía

I hope you made a copy of your original file.

Check if your "Protect delimiters" function is on or off. It should be ON. That way, you could not accidentally delete any tag. What you can do for now is tart all over again using the copy you have.
Since all the parts of the text you have already translated are in your Translation memory, use the "Translate 100% until fuzzy". It's fast and you should quickly get back to where you were)

Regarding tables, working with WF is tricky. Many people specify an exact height for all the table's lines and that prevents WF from showing the target segment.

My advice:

Convert the table into text and, one you are finished translating, use the Copy (or Drag) and Paste function to rebuild the table.

Luck
Bruno Magne
Brazil
Collapse

Estefanía González
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hopefully the last questions for today Feb 23, 2005

Hi again,

Just the last couple of questions for today.

I know they might be quite simplistic, but since I am fighting with Wordfast the whole day I think I would even need help to find the way back home

OK. Here I go...!

1.Wherere can I find the "Protect delimiters" function?
2.And taking into account, that the best thing I could do is re-translate from the very beginning,
... See more
Hi again,

I know they might be quite simplistic, but since I am fighting with Wordfast the whole day I think I would even need help to find the way back home

OK. Here I go...!

2.And taking into account, that the best thing I could do is re-translate from the very beginning, where can I pick up the option "Translate 100% until fuzzy"?

Thousand thanks to all of you!

Estefanía
Collapse

Estefanía González
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
and how do I convert the table into text? Feb 23, 2005

Well...

how do I convert the table of the .doc file into text?

I promiss this is the last positing for today...
If Wordast behaves properly...

Diplom-Übersetzerin Elisabeth John (X)
Diplom-Übersetzerin Elisabeth John (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
Shortcuts for delimiters protection and auto-translation while 100% match Feb 23, 2005

Estefanía González wrote:
2.And
ere can I pick up the option "Translate 100% until fuzzy"?
Estefanía[/quote]
You toggle delimiter protection on and off with Ctrl+Alt+F12.
You start "Auto-translate while 100% match" either by clicking the icon with the question mark and the arrow or by pressing Shift+Ctrl+PageDownn.

HTH
Lisa
www.webjohn.de

Estefanía González
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Feb 24, 2005

Hi!

Thanks to your advice I was able to make up the whole work really fast.

Rgds

Estefanía

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Wordfast keeps on crashing...

Translation news related to Wordfast

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »