Hi! My name is Talei and I am a translator and proofreader with a very sharp eye for detail. I have a keen awareness of cultural differences and pride myself on producing easy-to-read target texts that don't sound like translations.
- Currently employed as a translator for English and Arabic at the German Federal Office of Justice (since 2017).
- Experience as a freelance translator from 2011 to 2015 and as a media analyst from 2015 to 2017
- First Class MA in Interpreting/Translating (German/French) from Heriot-Watt University (2011)
- MSc in Arabic/English Translation and Interpreting from Heriot-Watt University (2015)
- BA in Transcultural Communication (Arabic/German/English) from the University of Graz (2012)
German to English:
- English native with an almost-native command of German thanks to completing the Abitur in Germany and spending a total of almost eight years in Germany and Austria.
- Specialised knowledge of classical music terminology due to having taken exams in music theory in the UK, as well as having taken the equivalent of A level music in Germany (Leistungskurs)
- Passionate about marketing translation, keen to extend my experience to literary translation
Arabic to English:
- Specialised in the translation/analysis of media articles, particularly political opinion articles
- Excellent knowledge of Modern Standard Arabic and the Syrian dialect (Arabic course in Syria in 2009)
- Experience as an analyst of Egyptian financial media
English to English (proofreading):
- Extensive experience proofreading Master's and PhD theses for non-native speakers of English
- Particularly skilled at picking up on the typical errors made by native speakers of Arabic, German and French
- Highly skilled at checking existing translations against source texts for accuracy
French to English:
- Erasmus semester in Brussels in 2009-10
- Experience as a media analyst for the Swiss media