https://www.proz.com/forum/poll_discussion/129059-poll%3A_do_you_have_to_send_payment_reminders_to_most_of_your_clients.html

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Do you have to send payment reminders to most of your clients?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Mar 3, 2009

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you have to send payment reminders to most of your clients?".

This poll was originally submitted by Emilie Moulettes

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more informati
... See more
This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you have to send payment reminders to most of your clients?".

This poll was originally submitted by Emilie Moulettes

View the poll here

A forum topic will appear each time a new poll is run. For more information, see: http://proz.com/topic/33629
Collapse

Amal Al-Arfaj
Amal Al-Arfaj
Saudi Arabia
Local time: 07:17
Member (2005)
English to Arabic
+ ...
No Mar 3, 2009

"Most" of my clients pay on time.

KathyT
KathyT  Identity Verified
Australia
Local time: 14:17
Japanese to English
Most? No,... Mar 3, 2009

...but some, yes.
And some lovely ones even remind *me* to invoice *them*

Ivana de Sousa Santos
Ivana de Sousa Santos  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 05:17
French to Portuguese
+ ...
No Mar 3, 2009

Just to some of them

maryblack
maryblack  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:17
Member (2013)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes, especially lately... Mar 3, 2009

For me the crisis isn't leading to less work, but it is making clients "suddenly" not receive my bills, or claim to be paying them as we speak, while weeks later I still haven't received money. Is anyone else having this problem of clients' serious lack of liquidity? It's already caused me more than one fee from my bank for being in the red while expecting payment from clients who have previously been totally reliable.

Maartje Giebels
Maartje Giebels  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 06:17
English to Dutch
+ ...
Yes :( Mar 3, 2009

Unfortunately, most of my clients seem to forget to pay. Normally one e-mail is enough and I just send it to them 2 days after the due date. So, most of the time they all pay within 1 week of the due date, which isn't so bad.

Diana Arbiser
Diana Arbiser  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 22:17
English to Spanish
+ ...
No... Mar 3, 2009

Never, ever had to (so far). I've been lucky. Some take a little longer, but not so long as to make me do anything.
I have to add, for the record, that most of my clients are either counties or government agencies, so I guess they wouldn't avoid a payment, unless they were really dissatisfied with my job, or if the invoice should get lost (the few invoices that I still send by snail mail- most go by e-mail).

[Edited at 2009-03-03 14:41 GMT]

Rebecca Garber
Rebecca Garber  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:17
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
No Mar 3, 2009

Most of my clients pay on time.
Several of the times when clients were late, it was because someone had contracted a translation without any knowledge of their company's required paperwork for vendors, so I started sending a W9 with my invoice to new clients.
2 clients never paid, never responded to emails, etc. They went on my taxes as bad debts.

andres-larsen
andres-larsen
Venezuela
Spanish to English
+ ...
I custom tailor my receivables to my customers Mar 3, 2009

I custom tailor my receivables to my customers in line with their cash flow

Steven Capsuto
Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Rarely Mar 3, 2009

Almost all of my clients pay promptly.

If late payment becomes a habit, I drop the client. I dropped three last year who were consistently a month or more late with payments.

[Edited at 2009-03-03 15:47 GMT]

Laureana Pavon
Laureana Pavon  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 01:17
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...

Only to some... Mar 3, 2009

I rarely need to send a customer a reminder, but those who need reminding need to be reminded every time
In some countries I think it can even be considered standard procedure.
That said, I've always been paid in full for my work, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Laureana

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
No entiendo Mar 3, 2009

andres-larsen wrote:

I custom tailor my receivables to my customers in line with their cash flow

Can you explain what do you mean, in plain English please? I'm not being ironic, I really don't understand.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Au contraire Mar 3, 2009

No, in fact, my clients sometimes have to remind me to bill them. I do a lot of revision of scientific papers, for which I charge an hourly fee. I usually bill these every 6 or 12 months, but sometimes I forget which department of institute I have to send the bills to (compounded by many of these works being on very similar subjects/areas, and the authors being transferred from one centre to another, etc.).
I do have some slow payers but this is usually because they depend on seasonal fund
... See more
No, in fact, my clients sometimes have to remind me to bill them. I do a lot of revision of scientific papers, for which I charge an hourly fee. I usually bill these every 6 or 12 months, but sometimes I forget which department of institute I have to send the bills to (compounded by many of these works being on very similar subjects/areas, and the authors being transferred from one centre to another, etc.).
I do have some slow payers but this is usually because they depend on seasonal funding, such as universities or grant-aided foundations.
I did dump one persistently late paying and mendacious client, basically because of their sheer lack of respect, but this is rare.
Collapse

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
Yes, most of them Mar 3, 2009

Most of my clients pay late. I am thinking of reducing my payment term to 15 days in order to make sure I will get paid within 30 days...

A long time ago, I was in charge of accounting for a small company. My manager used to direct me to only pay invoices when they were already late. I was also responsible for receivables there, and from the way our clients handled our invoices, I would have to say that most of our clients paid late like we did. In North America at least, it is comm
... See more
Most of my clients pay late. I am thinking of reducing my payment term to 15 days in order to make sure I will get paid within 30 days...

A long time ago, I was in charge of accounting for a small company. My manager used to direct me to only pay invoices when they were already late. I was also responsible for receivables there, and from the way our clients handled our invoices, I would have to say that most of our clients paid late like we did. In North America at least, it is common practice in most industries to pay late - usually, people double the payment term (invoices due in 30 days are paid after 60 days, invoices due in 10 days are paid in 20 days - only CODs are paid on time). As for why people function this way, I can only wonder...
Collapse

Max Chernov
Max Chernov
Russian Federation
Local time: 07:17
Russian to German
+ ...
Rarely, but... Mar 3, 2009

...it's not exeption anyway. To some of my clients I have to send only total amount. To others I have to send the true reminder, because they forget to pay...

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you have to send payment reminders to most of your clients?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »