Add missing languages in the Alpine region (G)
Thread poster: Pietro-Felice Petrucco
Pietro-Felice Petrucco
Pietro-Felice Petrucco
Italy
Local time: 19:19
English to Italian
+ ...
Mar 1, 2003

This is to point out the need for the definition of Friulian Language in the Proz.com engine.

Friulian language has been officially recognised as a minority language within the Italian state and the EEC. Friulian has a grammar which is similar to Catalan (already present in Proz) or Swiss-Ladin (Retoromantch): the latter is one of the four official languages of Switzerland but it does not appear in Proz.

In recent times, some tranlations to and from Friulian have b
... See more
This is to point out the need for the definition of Friulian Language in the Proz.com engine.

Friulian language has been officially recognised as a minority language within the Italian state and the EEC. Friulian has a grammar which is similar to Catalan (already present in Proz) or Swiss-Ladin (Retoromantch): the latter is one of the four official languages of Switzerland but it does not appear in Proz.

In recent times, some tranlations to and from Friulian have been requested, occasionally in language combination with German rather than with Italian.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-02-02 21:59]
Collapse

John Bowden
John Bowden  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:19
German to English
What about Welsh? Mar 1, 2003

Not an Alpine language I know (although there are mountains!), but I\'m surprised that Welsh doesn\'t appear in the drop-down menu of possible languages!

Kevin Harper
Kevin Harper  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:19
German to English
+ ...
Dewi sant hapus! Mar 1, 2003

A good point, especially as there are Welsh translations of everything. I remember I had to walk past the \"spectromeg mas\" facility at university, where all signs and posters from the University and the Student\'s Union have to be bilingual. My degree certificate is in Welsh first, and English second, even though I never studied the language; \"Peirianneg Ewropeiadd (Almaeneg)\", which sounds as vague in English as it does in Welsh!

I did learn one important phrase for tod
... See more
A good point, especially as there are Welsh translations of everything. I remember I had to walk past the \"spectromeg mas\" facility at university, where all signs and posters from the University and the Student\'s Union have to be bilingual. My degree certificate is in Welsh first, and English second, even though I never studied the language; \"Peirianneg Ewropeiadd (Almaeneg)\", which sounds as vague in English as it does in Welsh!

I did learn one important phrase for today, though:

\"Dewi sant hapus!\"

Surely the list should contain all the languages covered by Proz.com members. Other -> other doesn\'t really do much. Perhaps there should be a forum to request a new language, or a new language should be added if it is entered into a form when a new member with a new language joins.
Collapse

Sven Petersson
Sven Petersson  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
And what about Fanagalore? Mar 3, 2003

Please don\'t forget Fanagalore!

Sven.

Pietro-Felice Petrucco
Pietro-Felice Petrucco
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
http://www.proz.com/topic/10038 May 28, 2003

Someone said that
"A language is a dialect with an army [and an navy]".
"As a general rule no language forum should be established unless it is an official language of a recognized State."
However, there are 1) States which have more than one language (is not Welsh a language?; does not Switzerland have treee or four languages ?). There are also 2) more States which share a unique language (most of UK and USA).

At the moment I am requesting a forum in Fûrlan (alt
... See more
Someone said that
"A language is a dialect with an army [and an navy]".
"As a general rule no language forum should be established unless it is an official language of a recognized State."
However, there are 1) States which have more than one language (is not Welsh a language?; does not Switzerland have treee or four languages ?). There are also 2) more States which share a unique language (most of UK and USA).

At the moment I am requesting a forum in Fûrlan (altought I suppose that standardization might be an interesting topic for some years after a language becomes "official"), but I am expecting to meet it in the available languages: moreover I suppose it is spoken by some million people spread in the world.
Collapse

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Turkish
+ ...
And what about Kurdish? Jun 22, 2003

Well, it's not an Alpine language, either. But in its case, too, there are mountains

It's interesting that Kurdish doesn't appear in the dropdown lists of this site when its translators are so much sought in Europe and the UK. Still more interesting is the suggestion quoted by Pietro-Felice: official recognition as a criterion for starting a forum for a particular language. I don't know whose suggestion it is, but it'
... See more
Well, it's not an Alpine language, either. But in its case, too, there are mountains

It's interesting that Kurdish doesn't appear in the dropdown lists of this site when its translators are so much sought in Europe and the UK. Still more interesting is the suggestion quoted by Pietro-Felice: official recognition as a criterion for starting a forum for a particular language. I don't know whose suggestion it is, but it's hard to make sense of it, really. What do forums, or language as a tool for expression and discussion, have to do with the political status of a people or region? My target, and hence the native language, Turkish, for instance, is the official language of two entities, one of them is recognized worldwide as a government, the other is not. Where shall I go from here, now?

After all, polities come and go, discussion is endless!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Add missing languages in the Alpine region (G)

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »