https://www.proz.com/forum/sdl_trados_support/126997-migrating_to_new_pc_licence_issue.html

Migrating to new PC - Licence issue
Thread poster: Marc Leduc
Marc Leduc
Marc Leduc  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:48
Member (2003)
English to French
Feb 6, 2009

I have returned my license with the "Return license" button and it worked. But when I try to reactivate it on my new PC with Activate Online button, I am asked to enter the Key code... which disappeared with my license in the first place! Someone know how to get out of this vicious circle, since it is impossible to join SDL Trados by phone without paying an extra fee!!!
Thanks!

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:48
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
Login onto your account, check your orders - activation code there Feb 7, 2009

Good morning Marc,

the activation code is required each time you want to re-activate your existing licenses. Go to the SDL site, log in and check your orders. In each order a different activation code os listed per each license. You may want to write it / them down, that's what I did. It's a little bit of a hassle to have to enter that longish activation code each time, especially when you return and re-activate licenses quite often like me (had a sort of nightmere experience with
... See more
Good morning Marc,

the activation code is required each time you want to re-activate your existing licenses. Go to the SDL site, log in and check your orders. In each order a different activation code os listed per each license. You may want to write it / them down, that's what I did. It's a little bit of a hassle to have to enter that longish activation code each time, especially when you return and re-activate licenses quite often like me (had a sort of nightmere experience with a license locked in a dead PC - without any warning via odd behaviour the day before), as you can't copy it all and paste it in one click, so it is also easy to mistype it.

As much as I understand the SDL Trados reasons, I wish the whole procedure(s) were more client-friendly...

Giuliana
Collapse

Marc Leduc
Marc Leduc  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:48
Member (2003)
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you so much, Giuliana! Feb 7, 2009

I hope they send you a check periodically...
;~)
Marc

Yossi Rozenman
Yossi Rozenman  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 04:48
Member (2006)
English to Hebrew
+ ...
Copy the activation code to a text file Feb 7, 2009

Giuliana Buscaglione wrote:

It's a little bit of a hassle to have to enter that longish activation code each time, especially when you return and re-activate licenses quite often like me (had a sort of nightmere experience with a license locked in a dead PC - without any warning via odd behaviour the day before), as you can't copy it all and paste it in one click, so it is also easy to mistype it.

Copy the activation code and save it to a text file. Then, each time you have to enter it, simply copy it from the text file and paste it into the activation screen.

[Edited at 2009-02-07 20:19 GMT]

Giuliana Buscaglione
Giuliana Buscaglione  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:48
Member (2001)
German to Italian
+ ...
thanks, Yossi, will try Feb 9, 2009

Hi Yossi,

the coy & paste has never worked so far, but I haven't tried from a txt file... will do next time

Giuliana

Eleni Makantani
Eleni Makantani
Greece
Local time: 05:48
English to Greek
+ ...
Try instant messaging with SDL Feb 9, 2009

Hello Marc,

I hope that the advice given before by our colleagues has worked for you. However, in case it hasn't, SDL offers a chat service, which is free and gives you instant help and advice.

Go here: http://www.translationzone.com/en/contact/ and on the right corner side of the page there is a box "Live help - start chat".

I returned my licence about
... See more
Hello Marc,

I hope that the advice given before by our colleagues has worked for you. However, in case it hasn't, SDL offers a chat service, which is free and gives you instant help and advice.

Go here: http://www.translationzone.com/en/contact/ and on the right corner side of the page there is a box "Live help - start chat".

I returned my licence about six months ago and they helped me really effectively and fast.

Good luck!
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Obtaining your SDL Activation Code Feb 9, 2009

Hello,

You can view your activation code, downloads and support information by logging into your online SDL account. Please follow these instructions to obtaining your activation code and licensing your software:

1. Please visit: https://oos.sdl.com/asp/products/ssl/account/default.asp

2. Login to your account

3. Go to "My Licen
... See more
Hello,

You can view your activation code, downloads and support information by logging into your online SDL account. Please follow these instructions to obtaining your activation code and licensing your software:

1. Please visit: https://oos.sdl.com/asp/products/ssl/account/default.asp

2. Login to your account

3. Go to "My Licenses"

4. You will see your new SDL Trados 2007 activation code in the "My Product Activation Codes" section.

5. Please copy your Activation Code in to your clipboard (Highlight and select CTRL C)

Once you have copied your activation code, please follow these instructions so that you can re-activate your software.

1. Please select Start -> All Programs -> SDL International -> SDL Trados 2007 -> License Manager

2. Select “Activate Online”

3. Enter your new Activation Code (Press CTRL V) and select “Next”

4. Your product will now be licensed.

I hope this helps

Many Thanks,

Gareth Powell
SDL Support Team
Collapse

MFoxTrans
MFoxTrans
United States
Local time: 20:48
Japanese to English
How to get activation code returned from dead PC? Mar 23, 2009

Giuliana , how did you get the activation code returned from the dead PC? I am in that same situation, where the hard drive failed and TRADOS was on there, but I didn't return it before the hard drive failed (obviously). Any help would be appreciated.

Cori

Stanislav Pokorny
Stanislav Pokorny  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Deep in real troubles Mar 24, 2009

Corianton wrote:

Giuliana , how did you get the activation code returned from the dead PC? I am in that same situation, where the hard drive failed and TRADOS was on there, but I didn't return it before the hard drive failed (obviously). Any help would be appreciated.
Cori

Hi Cori,
you are deep in troubles now. The only way of returning your softkey license is try HDD data recovery. But please note that this can be more expensive than a new Trados license. Well, perhaps you might drop a message at SDL and ask them to provide you with a new license number. Try & see what happens.

MFoxTrans
MFoxTrans
United States
Local time: 20:48
Japanese to English
Got it May 2, 2010

Thanks. Yeah, I ended up having to talk to them. Rightly sothey are of course worried about pirating, etc. I was not in that situation, and legitimately needed the key restored. Anyway, got it back, so all is good. So know it can be done, but they check in to it first.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Migrating to new PC - Licence issue

Translation news related to SDL Trados

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »