On the central coast of Columbia, there is a peninsula called San Geronimo, of which, for military reasons, the official land configuration is not displayed on world maps, earning it the nickname “Peninsula of the dead”. In 1970, this peninsula was witness to cataclysmic changes.
A special operations unit of the CIA, an infiltration team comprised of personnel with dual capacity as soldiers and agents and going under the name of FOX, stole classified military data and occupied the area.
The said peninsula is land on which the Soviets intended to build intermediate-range missile bases after Cuba retreated from it. However, during the détente in the late 60’s, construction on the bases was halted, and only abandoned Soviet soldiers remained...
Japanese to English: Li-ION battery development General field: Bus/Financial Detailed field: Energy / Power Generation
Source text - Japanese ①UF131191におけるｶｽﾀﾏｰ指定の高温耐久(保存，ｻｲｸﾙ），安全性試験，Li析出耐久試験結果を報告。試験結果で特に，問題となるものは
Translation - English 1) UF 131191 customer setting high temperature resistance (conservation, cycle), safety testing, reporting on Li deposition resistance testing results. Results showed no problems.12/7 executive meeting on this report.
2) under restraining conditions (using a cooling plate), which customers can select, the effect to initial state and durability (70 degrees Celsius pattern cycle II) of restraining force was tested, there was hardly any effect seen
3) in evaluating the positive electrode particle size (8/10/12 u m) and Zr adjunction method (co-precipitation / post-adjunction), after completion of the 70 degree pattern cycle 2-400 cycle, no particular tendency in the volume sustenance rate was observed. The quality of Zr co-precipitation products is inversely proportionate to particle size. Furthermore, post-adjunction 12 u m products show more promise in terms of anode (inner electrical ) resistance than Zr co-precipitation 12 u m products .
4) Negative polar plate overcoat is being inspected and durability testing is also taking place. At present the overcoat does not seem to impact the 400 cycle, content/ low temperature output degradation.
5) In the second stage prototype battery P-HEV (coating depletion plan), the results of the initial state properties evaluation were as follows: dimensions, 19.5Ah, output, 1993W. Low temperature output: the same characteristics as the plan was supposed to show were confirmed.
French to English: IDRC and nomadic-pastoralist systems General field: Other Detailed field: Government / Politics
Source text - French • Les systèmes éleveurs-nomades dans ces zones sont limités par les sécheresses fréquentes, une insécurité chronique et une pression démographique accrue sur un environnement fragile.
• L'accès restreint à la nourriture, aux pâturages et à l'eau contribuent à la détériorisation du système de production transhumant.
Que Fait Vétérinaires Sans Frontières?
• Accès aux zones pastorales augmenté durant la saison sèche: Plus de 20 plans de ressources des communautés ont été préparés à travers les zones de projet. Ils ont été échangés pendant des réunions intercommunautaires pour se mettre d’accord sur la location des points d’eau stratégiques. Comme résultat de ces discussions, sept structures d’eau ont commencé à être rehabilitées ou construites en 2008. Ces structures seront gérées par des Comités de Gestion d’Eau basés localement
Translation - English • The nomadic pastoralist systems in these zones are subject to frequent droughts, chronic insecurity and demographic pressure in what is already a fragile environment.
How Does Veterinarians Without Borders help?
• Limited acces to food resources, pasture land and water contribute to the deterioration of the migratory production system
• Increased access to pastoral zones during the drought. Over 20 plans regarding community resources have been prepared throughout the zones of this project. They were discussed at inter-community meetings in order to reach agreement on the strategic location of water distribution points. As a result of these discussions, seven structures have been restored or built in 2008. These structures will be managed by the local water management committees
Japanese to English: Miyako fashion items General field: Other Detailed field: Textiles / Clothing / Fashion
Source text - Japanese グッチマークとgとハートのチャームが可愛くて遊び心あふれています。バッグは程よいサイズで重宝します。
Translation - English This item is features the Gucci mark, the "g" insignia and heart charm all attached and dangling playfully. With just the right dimensions, this little number is sure to find a special place in your heart.
This bright candy color bag allows for a variety of original outfitting options. The oblong shape also leaves an impression.
Master's degree - Sheffield University (Advanced Japanese Studies -- specialty Japanese to English Translation
Years of translation experience: 22. Registered at ProZ.com: Jun 2009. Became a member: Jun 2009.
French to English (Bachelor Translation w. Honours (U. of Ottawa), verified) French (BA French Literature (U. of Ottawa), verified) Japanese to English (University of Sheffield, verified)
Adobe Acrobat, Adobe Illustrator, Adobe Photoshop, Dreamweaver, FrameMaker, Frontpage, Indesign, Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word, Pagemaker, Powerpoint, QuarkXPress, SDL TRADOS
Originally from South Africa (and speaking Afrikaans at home), I moved to Canada at age 12.
I started in the field of translation/editing/DTP in Ottawa after finishing a Bachelor's degree in Translation at that city's university.
I have lived in both Spain and Quebec for one year for language study, and have been in Japan for 11 years now.
I presently divide my time between university instruction of presentation skills, English through graphic design and business English (Digital Hollywood University), Japanese-to-English Translation and writing instruction (Lakeland College, Sunflare Translation Academy), as well as freelance translation (Japanese-English, French-English).
The area in which I do most of my work at the moment is marketing, translating personal websites (ICanLocalize-- http://yosukeikeda.com/en/biography_en), tourism related sittes (http://www2.shiraishi-island.com/en/about-shiraishijima-island), blogs (Manfrotto--www.manfrottoimaginemore.com/2013/05/03/tibet/#.UZS8YNnS1Vc ) and fashion catalogs (Nissen --www.nissen.co.jp/).
I also translate in the technical/engineering area, for example bicycle/wheelchair technology (www.oxgroup.co.jp/oxgroup_site/wheelchair-lineup.html); in the manufacturing area (e.g. EV batteries); finance (financial reports), law (contracts, family register documents, marriage certificates); and finally in the environment area (recycling initiatives, sustainable engineering), and agriculture/horticulture (http://www.sakata100th.jp/english/episode/09/).
Because of my experience as an in-house editor and translator for various departments in the Canadian Federal Government (Ministry of Agriculture, etc.), I am adept at rendering translations using language appropriate for business and government. Also, thanks to my graphic design experience and training, I return translated documents created in a wide variety of formats with the original format (DTP, web, etc.) intact, in other words, fully localized. I also work as a translation checker (Japanese-Eng) for several companies in Tokyo and abroad (Spring Hill, Straker, RR Donnelley, StarJapan, etc.).