I worked for 10 years as a translator, subeditor and reporter at an Afrikaans newspaper in Johannesburg and Pretoria, later being promoted to news editor. Before starting as a features writer at a magazine in Cape Town, I worked as a press and liaison officer for the Council for Scientific and Industrial Research in Pretoria.
I started my freelance career in 1989:
• translated and edited dozens of books, fiction and non-fiction (English to Afrikaans)
• wrote marketing copy (Afrikaans) for several firms
• worked as a publisher at a publishing house
• translated textbooks
• compiled, edited and wrote a series of textbooks (subject Afrikaans)
• designed textbooks plus DTP
• published award-winning youth fiction (5 books)
• wrote and designed a children's page in a Sunday newspaper
• published a book of poetry
At present I'm the subeditor at an Afrikaans Christian magazine.
I have an Honours degree in Communications from the Potchefstroom University for Christian Higher Education (now the Northwest University) with 2 distinctions.