Affordable, high-quality Chinese to English translations by a native English speaker.
American citizen based in Harbin and/or Beijing for seventeen years.
Seven years of formal language education followed by the exclusive use of Mandarin as my primary daily language for sixteen years.
Extended residence in America and China ensures both linguistic ability and the cultural understanding required to produce accurate, readable translations.
Heilongjiang University, 2012, MA, Political Studies
Heilongjiang University, 2004-2009, BA, History and Linguistics
Wesleyan University, 1997: majors in English and East Asian studies with a concentration in Mandarin Chinese
Language study in the PRC
Nanjing University, 1996 (Attended through Duke University)
Capital Normal University, Beijing, 1996
Beijing Teacher's College, 1995 (Enrolled in Princeton University's Study in China program)
HSK Chinese Proficiency Exam Level 8, 2002
Recent projects include:
- a number of official English translations of PRC state laws and regulations
- 9,000 word medical research paper
- ongoing project for an art exhibition to be held in a major Beijing gallery
- 30,000 word new project presentation for prospective foreign investment
- 10,000 word minutes for a multinational company's Board of Directors meetings
- 3,000 word thesis on the Chinese health care system and its response to SARS
- 3,000 word analysis of Chinese legal reform
- business licenses
- corporate audits
- travel guides for various cities in mainland China
- cellular phone manuals
- TV commercial translation and subtitling experience
- employee and customer satisfaction surveys
- formal and informal business speeches for opening ceremonies, toasts, etc.
- Local on-site translation and interpretation work with Northeastern Chinese/Korean businesses.
Also work with various marketing materials, company presentations and brochures, customs and immigration forms, and menus.
Extensive proofreading experience in a variety of technical and financial genres.
Excellent familiarity with Chinese academic writing, comfortable with the classical language, very strong background in contemporary Chinese literature and a frighteningly complete knowledge of the Chinese entertainment industry.
Currently in Harbin after several years of residence in Beijing.
Chinese to English translation at US $0.10-$0.13 per word.
Renminbi happily accepted.
Keywords: foreign investment, contracts, history, humanities, philosophy, academic, classical chinese, literature, marketing, computer science, international business, native english