https://www.proz.com/forum/business_issues/28904-locked_paypal_account_sdn_list.html

locked PayPal account (SDN list)
Thread poster: Rosa Diez Tagarro
Rosa Diez Tagarro
Rosa Diez Tagarro  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 23:50
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Jan 29, 2005

Hi, everybody!

I don't know if any of you may have have received a message from PayPal informing you that your PayPal account has been denied because your name is similar to or a match to an entry on the Office of Foreign Assets Control Specially Designated Nationals (SDN) list.

This has just happened to me and I am astonished. I have checked the above-mentioned list and seen there is one "Rosa Isabel Díaz" in it, a Colombian citizen, apparently.

I do not
... See more
Hi, everybody!

I don't know if any of you may have have received a message from PayPal informing you that your PayPal account has been denied because your name is similar to or a match to an entry on the Office of Foreign Assets Control Specially Designated Nationals (SDN) list.

This has just happened to me and I am astonished. I have checked the above-mentioned list and seen there is one "Rosa Isabel Díaz" in it, a Colombian citizen, apparently.

I do not know if either PayPal or the Department of Treasury are aware that "Díaz" is an extremely common surname in Spanish-speaking countries (and, anyway, my surname is not "Díaz" but "Diez", and I'm not Colombian, BTW, but Spanish).

If somebody on that list was called "Rosa Diez Tagarro" just like me, and was born in Spain, just like me, then I would be able to understand the request for verification of identity I have been sent.

They tell me to send a number of confidential documents to prove I am not the above-mentioned person. They request a utility bill, for instance, which is something that is not that wise to show to anybody, since it contains bank detais, for instance. And a copy of my passport, and a document that proves my date and place of birth...

I would like to know other opinions on this, because it doesn't make sense to me. I mean, you check all the Hispanic and Arab names in the list and realise it is not only you that are in trouble. Many names in it are going to "match" PayPal customers' names, particularly when the criteria for the matches does not seem to be very specific.

I will not go into the reasons why I am not going to send any proof of identification to PayPal, since I don't want this post to be considered political.

I will simply forget about PayPal (I hardly use it anyway).

Any opinions on this matter will be very welcome!

Enjoy the rest of the weekend:

Rosa

PS: I've just realised this might be the wrong forum and I should have posted on "Money Matters" instead. My apologies, I guess only moderators can move this post to the right place now.

[Edited at 2005-01-29 18:15]
Collapse

Elizabeth Adams
Elizabeth Adams  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:50
Member (2002)
Russian to English
paypal is so annoying Jan 29, 2005

they've done the same thing to me, but not for the same reason.

in fact, they won't tell me why they want all the extra verification. they simply cite "suspicious account activity," when I barely use the account and always for the same transactions...

if you don't use the service, then I certainly wouldn't bother. they take forever to even look at your documents and are very picky.

you've got my sympathy,
Elizabeth

Ines Burrell
Ines Burrell  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:50
Member (2004)
English to Latvian
+ ...
A common problem Jan 29, 2005

This apparently is a common problem for PayPal users. I have never been in trouble yet but I have read all about frozen accounts and never receive payments on PayPal anyhow. The most I use it for is to pay for my eBay purchases.
There is a whole site dedicated to fight against PayPal (cannot remember the url but should not be too difficult to find). Accidentaly I found that site before I first had a look at PayPal site. That cooled me down and I believe refusal to receive any payments on
... See more
This apparently is a common problem for PayPal users. I have never been in trouble yet but I have read all about frozen accounts and never receive payments on PayPal anyhow. The most I use it for is to pay for my eBay purchases.
There is a whole site dedicated to fight against PayPal (cannot remember the url but should not be too difficult to find). Accidentaly I found that site before I first had a look at PayPal site. That cooled me down and I believe refusal to receive any payments on Paypal has been one of the best business decisions I have made.
So if you have not lost a lot of money yet, sod them and use other means. You could have been in a lot more trouble had you had loads of money locked there.

Cheers,
Burrell
Collapse

Adrian MM. (X)
Adrian MM. (X)
French to English
+ ...
Calumnia de Colombia! Jan 29, 2005

Rosa. You must consult a lawyer. Though it is you who are 'publishing' the libel by drawing attention to it, there are negligence - completely different name - defamatory and credit-denigrating aspects of this lockout.

Elena Petelos
Elena Petelos  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:50
English to Greek
+ ...
Safer....:-) Jan 30, 2005

Hello!
A couple of months ago, my account was frozen, as I had two substancial payments from an unverified buyer, that I attempted to transfer into my bank account, thus by far exceeding my monthly transfer limit. The funds were returned to the sender and I was asked for several documents (utility bill, passport copy and bank statement), which I faxed along with paypal's special coversheet. They also emailed asking me to complete three steps: confirm the amounts of two Direct Debit payment
... See more
Hello!
A couple of months ago, my account was frozen, as I had two substancial payments from an unverified buyer, that I attempted to transfer into my bank account, thus by far exceeding my monthly transfer limit. The funds were returned to the sender and I was asked for several documents (utility bill, passport copy and bank statement), which I faxed along with paypal's special coversheet. They also emailed asking me to complete three steps: confirm the amounts of two Direct Debit payments from paypal into my account, supply a code they send to me in a letter at my registered address and change my password through my designated email account. The whole thing took approximately 10 working days.

It was difficult to get through to the customer services the first time I called to see if they had received the documents (the last thing they requested), as had to wait for 20 minutes, but I got through immediately the second time I called. The account was back in order an hour after I talked to them, 2 days after I had completed all of the steps mentioned above. It was slightly frustrating at the time, however, in retrospect, I feel safer as they take the trouble to monitor transactions and properly check the identity of account holders. Any bank would, and I think we should expect no less from what effectively is an internet banking facility.

Good Luck!)

Forgot to mention I checked all the forums at the time, most had complaints from people that had not received their items from ebay. Never heard of anyone loosing money. Also, the FSA regulates paypal, but I assume that's for the UK only...

http://www.fsa.gov.uk/)

[Edited at 2005-01-30 04:06]
Collapse

lien
lien
Netherlands
English to French
+ ...
Paypalsucks.com Jan 30, 2005

You should have searched the archives, they are many posts about this problem. After reading paypalsucks, I can't understand why people are still using paypal.

http://www.paypalsucks.com/

http://www.aboutpaypal.org/paypal_sucks
... See more
You should have searched the archives, they are many posts about this problem. After reading paypalsucks, I can't understand why people are still using paypal.

http://www.paypalsucks.com/

http://www.aboutpaypal.org/paypal_sucks

http://www.paypalphonenumbers.com/index.php
Collapse

Rosa Diez Tagarro
Rosa Diez Tagarro  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for sharing your views Jan 30, 2005

I guess I have to consider myself lucky because this has happened when there was no money in my account, as Burrel says.

I have to say, though, that I have only accepted very small (and very few) payments through PayPal and have always transferred the money to my bank account as soon as it was received.

I had read about PayPalsucks and visited their page, lien. I had also read many positive opinions from Prozians. I have had my account for over 18 months and never exp
... See more
I guess I have to consider myself lucky because this has happened when there was no money in my account, as Burrel says.

I have to say, though, that I have only accepted very small (and very few) payments through PayPal and have always transferred the money to my bank account as soon as it was received.

I had read about PayPalsucks and visited their page, lien. I had also read many positive opinions from Prozians. I have had my account for over 18 months and never experienced any problem at all until yesterday. But I certainly made sure there was never a lot of money to be lost there.

What really amazes me is the (negligent) use they make of the SDN list. I don't think it makes PayPal safer for users, Elena. I think their safety procedures are really arbitrary (think of Elizabeth's case) and, as Tom says, negligent.

Have a nice Sunday evening!

Rosa
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

locked PayPal account (SDN list)

Translation news

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »