Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:20
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Feb 23, 2005

Does anyone know of the best way to translate an Autocad dwg file without actually having Autocad?

I have searched the forums and there is not much on this subject although I believe it is a fairly common problem for translators. Let me summarize what I have learned:

1) Autocad costs over $3000 according to its website. Not many translators, even agencies would have strong enough justification to shell that out.

2) You can download a free reader (no editi
... See more
Does anyone know of the best way to translate an Autocad dwg file without actually having Autocad?

I have searched the forums and there is not much on this subject although I believe it is a fairly common problem for translators. Let me summarize what I have learned:

1) Autocad costs over $3000 according to its website. Not many translators, even agencies would have strong enough justification to shell that out.

2) You can download a free reader (no editing) such as Bentley View.

3) You apparently can convert your dwg file into pdf, then into a rtf Word file, edit it, then convert it all back to Autocad form. (I'm doubtful that this would work).

4) There is an Autocad compatible program called Intellicad that costs about $350.

Is there anyone out there who can give a good workaround to using Autocad? Is Intellicad a good alternative?
Collapse

Graciela Carlyle
Graciela Carlyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:20
English to Spanish
+ ...
better late than never! Mar 10, 2005

Edward Potter wrote:

Hi Edward, I had a request today for AutoCad files and searching the fora I found this 'howto' http://www.proz.com/howto/159.

I've no idea if it actually works yet as I don't have AutoCad, but you could tell your client about it to have the text exported for you and then imported back to their file.

Cheers,
Grace.

Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:20
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
TRADOS Mar 10, 2005

That was the TRADOS workaround. Is it possible with WordFast?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Translating Autocad files without Autocad

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »