Pegasus Mail - what internet mail provider can I use with it?
Thread poster: Paul Adie (X)
Paul Adie (X)
Paul Adie (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jan 4, 2008

Dear All,

I'm getting rather bored with Windows Live Mail, and would like to try using Pegasus Mail. However it seems that I can't use my hotmail address in Pegasus Mail. Do any of you know a free web-based email provider that can be used with Pegasus? If I'm approaching this in the wrong way...say!

Best,

Paul

Alessandro Cattelan (X)
Alessandro Cattelan (X)
Italy
Local time: 06:05
English to Italian
+ ...
Can you detail the problem? Jan 4, 2008

Hi,
I've never used Pegasus Mail but I can try to help you if you give us some more details on why it seems to be impossible to use your Hotmal account with this client.

What made you choose Pegasus? Does it have any interesting feature? I'm just curious as I've tried many different email client but I've always fallen back to Mozilla Thunderbird.

Ricardo Castaño
Ricardo Castaño
Colombia
Local time: 23:05
English to Spanish
+ ...
gmail and gawab Jan 4, 2008

Hi Paul,

Gmail allows POP access, which means that you can use email software like Pegasus, The Bat! or others to read your mail, and gmail is in my opinion far better than hotmail.

Gawab (www.gawab.com) also lets you use email programs, and it works fine, however, I still prefer Gmail, especially because the mail you send through your software is also stored in gmail's sent mail, so if yo
... See more
Hi Paul,

Gmail allows POP access, which means that you can use email software like Pegasus, The Bat! or others to read your mail, and gmail is in my opinion far better than hotmail.

Gawab (www.gawab.com) also lets you use email programs, and it works fine, however, I still prefer Gmail, especially because the mail you send through your software is also stored in gmail's sent mail, so if you're not home you still have access to all your mail via web.

Regards,

Ricardo.

[Editado a las 2008-01-04 22:34]
Collapse

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 06:05
Italian to English
In memoriam
Spamhalter is the big plus Jan 4, 2008

Hi Paul and Alessandro,

I've been using Pegasus for some time. The latest version (4.41), which is not all that new, does have a very effective Bayesian Spam Filter which has served me well over the past year and a half.

I only use Pegasus for my domain email, though, not for secondary email accounts like Gmail, Hotmail or Yahoo. For me, the big advantage of web-based services like Gmail and Hotmail is that you can have a quick look at what has turned up in your inbox w
... See more
Hi Paul and Alessandro,

I've been using Pegasus for some time. The latest version (4.41), which is not all that new, does have a very effective Bayesian Spam Filter which has served me well over the past year and a half.

I only use Pegasus for my domain email, though, not for secondary email accounts like Gmail, Hotmail or Yahoo. For me, the big advantage of web-based services like Gmail and Hotmail is that you can have a quick look at what has turned up in your inbox without actually downloading it so I use them for discussion group correspondence or as fall-back addresses for business correspondence.

The only real drawback of Pegasus is that it is not terribly user-friendly.

You can find all the pros and cons at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pegasus_Mail

which AFAICS is a reasonable assessment of the program.

HTH

Giles
Collapse

lingua franc (X)
lingua franc (X)
Local time: 14:05
Chinese to English
+ ...
mail clients and free mail servers Jan 7, 2008

Hi Paul

Mail clients such as Outlook, Outlook Express, Pegasus, Eudora and Thunderbird collect emails from mail servers using the pop3 protocol. If you have your own website (domain) or using a paid email service, your service provider can provide you with settings which you enter into your mail program to receive/send email.

Free mail services such as Yahoo and Gmail also provide pop service and the settings and setup procedures can be found in the help section on thei
... See more
Hi Paul

Mail clients such as Outlook, Outlook Express, Pegasus, Eudora and Thunderbird collect emails from mail servers using the pop3 protocol. If you have your own website (domain) or using a paid email service, your service provider can provide you with settings which you enter into your mail program to receive/send email.

Free mail services such as Yahoo and Gmail also provide pop service and the settings and setup procedures can be found in the help section on their websites. Or Google "Yahoo pop3 setting" and "Gmail pop3 settings".

As far as I know, Hotmail doesn't offer this so you won't be able to download emails no matter what mail program you choose to use.

On a side note, I find Thunderbird (free download, brother of Firefox) to be rather easy and straightforward to use if you don't want the calender/task functions.

Hope this helps

LF
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Laureana Pavon[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Pegasus Mail - what internet mail provider can I use with it?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »