How to translate formal documents like minutes of meetings or manuals from English to japanese.
Thread poster: Ruchira Shukla
Ruchira Shukla
Ruchira Shukla
India
Local time: 06:13
English to Japanese
+ ...
Jan 21, 2003

While translating formal documents in japanese from english should one end the sentence in aru form or imasu/ arimasu form.I have seen both endings and am really confused about which one to use while translating.

mora339
mora339
Local time: 09:43
Japanese to English
+ ...
a little complicated Jan 22, 2003

Hi. It\'s a bit complicated. Here\'s my thinking. If you\'re doing minutes of meetings I think you want to use ARU-style, exception is when you quote conversation that\'s when you want to use MASU-style. On the other hand when you\'re doing manuals it\'s more normal to use MASU-style. Sorry I\'m not smart enough to give you the logic but that\'s at least what I have been familar with in my whole life as a Japanese business person. See you.

ejprotran
ejprotran
Local time: 09:43
English to Japanese
Imasu/arimasu Jan 22, 2003

For a basic understanding, \"arimasu\" is used to express the existence of an inanimate object (e.g., book, stone, etc.), while \"imasu\" is used for animate entities (e.g., people, animals, etc.).

Here are the links that may be
... See more
For a basic understanding, \"arimasu\" is used to express the existence of an inanimate object (e.g., book, stone, etc.), while \"imasu\" is used for animate entities (e.g., people, animals, etc.).

Here are the links that may be of help to you:

http://japanese.about.com/bllesson28.htm

http://www.asahi-net.or.jp/~IF2N-SZK/j4.html
Collapse

Ruchira Shukla
Ruchira Shukla
India
Local time: 06:13
English to Japanese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you ! Jan 23, 2003

Thank you .. that was informative. I will try to use this same format from now on.

Ruchira

Quote:

On 2003-01-22 14:31, mora339 wrote:

Hi. It\'s a bit complicated. Here\'s my thinking. If you\'re doing minutes of meetings I think you want to use ARU-style, exception is when you quote conversation that\'s when you want to use MASU-style. On the other hand when you\'re doing manuals it\'s more normal to use MASU-s... See more
Thank you .. that was informative. I will try to use this same format from now on.

Ruchira

Quote:

On 2003-01-22 14:31, mora339 wrote:

Hi. It\'s a bit complicated. Here\'s my thinking. If you\'re doing minutes of meetings I think you want to use ARU-style, exception is when you quote conversation that\'s when you want to use MASU-style. On the other hand when you\'re doing manuals it\'s more normal to use MASU-style. Sorry I\'m not smart enough to give you the logic but that\'s at least what I have been familar with in my whole life as a Japanese business person. See you.

Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Takeshi MIYAHARA[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to translate formal documents like minutes of meetings or manuals from English to japanese.

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »