Bruno Espalha  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 07:39
Member (2006)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Jul 14, 2008

Hello everyone,

I am going on vacation to Prague in August.

I will be staying in the Eurostars David at Napavlni, 12000 Prague.

Can anyone advise me on good restaurants near the hotel area for lunch (within 10 minutes walking distance at the most).

I would also be delighted if anyone living in Prague could tell me about some of the city hidden beauties (off the tourist beaten tracks that is).

Thank you in advance for your ti
... See more
Hello everyone,

I am going on vacation to Prague in August.

I will be staying in the Eurostars David at Napavlni, 12000 Prague.

Can anyone advise me on good restaurants near the hotel area for lunch (within 10 minutes walking distance at the most).

I would also be delighted if anyone living in Prague could tell me about some of the city hidden beauties (off the tourist beaten tracks that is).

Thank you in advance for your time to answer me.

Kind Regards,

Bruno

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-07-15 15:14]

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2008-07-15 15:15]
Collapse

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 02:39
English to French
+ ...
Kolkovna Jul 15, 2008

When I visited Prague a year and a half ago, we found that, even though everything is cheap for our Western wallets, eating in the old town was abusively expensive. My secret weapon to that is that we left with a list, based on my pre-trip research, of places to visit in most touristy neighbourhoods but that were no tourist traps. That's how we found Kolkovna restaurant and pub, and it is only when we finally took a walk that we realized how much cheaper that place is in comparison with other re... See more
When I visited Prague a year and a half ago, we found that, even though everything is cheap for our Western wallets, eating in the old town was abusively expensive. My secret weapon to that is that we left with a list, based on my pre-trip research, of places to visit in most touristy neighbourhoods but that were no tourist traps. That's how we found Kolkovna restaurant and pub, and it is only when we finally took a walk that we realized how much cheaper that place is in comparison with other restaurants nearby.

What we liked about Kolkovna is the atmosphere and the fact that they were offering Czech fare (not Italian, Chinese and such, like most neighbouring places - why do touristy places all over the world assume that tourists don't want to eat the local food?). We visited the v Kolkovna location, in Prague 1, three days in a row - we just wanted to try everything on the menu. We had the goose liver, the Kolkovna platter, fried cheese, fried mushrooms, and most of the platters in the "meal with a glass of beer" section of the menu. They smoke their own sausages and pretty much anything with meat in it is delicious - typical Central European, juicy fare that may not help you to keep pounds off but really makes you feel entirely satisfied. You can take a look here: www.kolkovna.cz. Click on the link on the left to see the page in English.

Both locations look like they are about a 15-minute walk from your hotel - but they are well worth an extra five minutes walking! Real yummy food in a nice, warm atmosphere!

To get a map of both locations: http://www.nelso.com/search/?what=kolkovna&where=Prague%202

Edit: I forgot to mention... One of the places we had a blast at was the Museum of Communism (funnily enough, it's on the second floor of a building whose first floor is occupied by McDonald's). While in other Eastern countries, it took months or even years to get rid of the communist regime, in Czechoslovakia, it was only a matter of days. Most Czechs don't even know the museum exists - you can imagine how fond they are of those memories. That is why their view of communism is really interesting.

Also, we liked the Golden Alley, although that IS on the beaten path.

One last thing: if you are looking for souvenirs, amber is one of the things Prague is known for - but there is a lot of bad stuff for sale on the beaten path (imitations). If you do buy amber or jewels with amber, make sure you buy pieces that have some kind of bug in them (a fly, for example). In that case, you know it's the real thing.

[Edited at 2008-07-15 06:35]
Collapse

Csaba Ban
Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 08:39
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Praha Jul 15, 2008

It's a real challenge to find any place in Prague in August without tourists.

My favourite less touristed areas are:
- Novy Svet and Loretanske namesti area (in the Hradcany)
- St Agnes convent area with a winding little street - a few 100 meters S of the old Jewish cemetery
- Just get on any tram and get off at least 5 stops away from the Old Town, and start wandering aimlessly (E.g. in Nove Mesto, Liben, Nusle, Smichov or Zizkov)
- Large cemeteries near m
... See more
It's a real challenge to find any place in Prague in August without tourists.

My favourite less touristed areas are:
- Novy Svet and Loretanske namesti area (in the Hradcany)
- St Agnes convent area with a winding little street - a few 100 meters S of the old Jewish cemetery
- Just get on any tram and get off at least 5 stops away from the Old Town, and start wandering aimlessly (E.g. in Nove Mesto, Liben, Nusle, Smichov or Zizkov)
- Large cemeteries near metro station Flora (both Christian and Jewish - Jan Palach and Franz Kafka, respectively, are buried here, among many others)
- Vysehrad (touristy, but not too bad)
- Divoka Sarka (end of tram lines 2, 26) (a meandering creek with a tourist path)
- Stromovka (city park) (tram 5)
- My favourite pub: U sadu, near the TV tower in Zizkov (metro: Jiriho z Podebrad)

I used to live in Prague for a year, and visited the city at least 70 times, but still haven't seen everything....

Csaba
Collapse

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 02:39
English to French
+ ...
A practical guide Jul 17, 2008

I just wanted to add this simple and useful little guide here. I used it extensively on our trip and it proved to be honest. Several of the places we visited were found in this guide.

The guide was prepared by a hostel - it is basically based on where the locals working there send tourists. You can read it here: http://www.miss-sophies.com/prague.php

Have a nice trip!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Holiday in Prague

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »