Word "feature" while saving - how to cure?
Thread poster: Citywalker
Citywalker
Citywalker
Local time: 11:23
English to Estonian
+ ...
Jan 19, 2009

Hey all.

I have found an annoying “feature” in my MS Office 2003 (SP3). Background: I use mainly keyboard in my work, and save fairly often (it's an automatic mental safety with me: stop typing -> press Ctrl+S). The problem: if I press any of the arrow keys while Word is still saving the document, the cursor gets transported to the beginning or end of the current screenful of text. I have looked through the shortcut keys many times and removed everything I thought was related to
... See more
Hey all.

I have found an annoying “feature” in my MS Office 2003 (SP3). Background: I use mainly keyboard in my work, and save fairly often (it's an automatic mental safety with me: stop typing -> press Ctrl+S). The problem: if I press any of the arrow keys while Word is still saving the document, the cursor gets transported to the beginning or end of the current screenful of text. I have looked through the shortcut keys many times and removed everything I thought was related to this "feature", but nothing helps. As soon as I try to navigate to the next line while Word is still busy saving, I get transported to the end of the page. This is annoying as hell. Is there anything that can be done to avoid this?

-----
Lea
Collapse

Sergei Leshchinsky
Sergei Leshchinsky  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
It somehow... Jan 19, 2009

... remembers the previously depressed CTRL and reacts to the shortcut CTRL+ARROW (beginning/end of the screen/line). Check special features for physically impared, like "sticky buttons" etc. (the "wheelchair" icon in Control Panel). Such features allow you pressing key combinations as sequences... They may be automatically switched on if, for instance, you press SHIFT five times in a series... You might have done it accidentally...

Citywalker
Citywalker
English to Estonian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That's not it... Jan 20, 2009

My Ctrl+Up/Down Arrows are specifically set to Prev/Next Paragraph, not Start/End of Page. And I'm not using any of the accessibility features. I even verified the shortcut combination "Ctrl+S,Up" as it is displayed in Word's keyboard shortcuts dialog box, and it's set to just "FileSave". Besides, this "feature" acts for all four arrows, and my Ctrl+Left/Right Arrows are set to WordLeft/Right, so they're differently set, and yet they all put the cursor to the start/end of the screen when Word is... See more
My Ctrl+Up/Down Arrows are specifically set to Prev/Next Paragraph, not Start/End of Page. And I'm not using any of the accessibility features. I even verified the shortcut combination "Ctrl+S,Up" as it is displayed in Word's keyboard shortcuts dialog box, and it's set to just "FileSave". Besides, this "feature" acts for all four arrows, and my Ctrl+Left/Right Arrows are set to WordLeft/Right, so they're differently set, and yet they all put the cursor to the start/end of the screen when Word is still saving (left/right arrows just do it with an offset of one character).

-----
Lea
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word "feature" while saving - how to cure?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »