Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
Poll: How did you mainly learn your source language(s)?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 18:37
Member (2004)
English to Italian
Other... May 27, 2016

studied, lived abroad and married into it!

Kristina Cosumano (X)
Kristina Cosumano (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 19:37
German to English
(Nearly) all of the above May 27, 2016

Studied it, read it, lived in it, worked in it, and then after 22 years married in it.

However I am still a little disappointed that the languages my ancestors spoke (Italian, Slovak, German) were not passed down. I understand that speaking anything but English was strongly discouraged at the time, and so they had their reasons for wanting to make all-American kids out of us.

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 02:37
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Yep, been there done that May 27, 2016

Teresa Borges wrote:

John Cutler wrote:

(..) got laughed at when I made a silly mistake (probably the most effective way to learn because you never make the same mistake twice)...

Mistakes, contrary to common belief, are an important learning tool!

Ne'er a truer word can be said.

Never, ever, say 'Chin, chin' for 'cheers' at a Japanese wedding. (unless you're inviting the stuff the hits the proverbial fan)
I did and still regret it. You could have cut the air with a knife. I literally made a right dick out of my self.

Katrin Bosse (X)
Katrin Bosse (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Dutch to German
+ ...
Well, I bite ... May 27, 2016

Julian Holmes wrote:

Never, ever, say 'Chin, chin' for 'cheers' at a Japanese wedding. (unless you're inviting the stuff the hits the proverbial fan)

... what does it mean?? You got me curious!

Julian Holmes
Japan
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Biting is not recommended... May 27, 2016

Katrin Bosse wrote:

Julian Holmes wrote:

... what does it mean?? You got me curious!

Hint:

"I literally made a right dick out of my self."

Subtle enough for you?

Katrin Bosse (X)
Katrin Bosse (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Dutch to German
+ ...
Indeed! May 27, 2016

Subtle enough for you?

Absolutely!

Oh my....

Julian Holmes
Japan
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Yep, stuff does hit the fan May 27, 2016

...when you're having fun.

Katrin Bosse wrote:

Oh my....

I believe that's what I said, too. I was such an innocent young thing at the time. The good old days...sigh

[Edited at 2016-05-27 13:22 GMT]

[Edited at 2016-05-28 01:19 GMT]

Sundar Gopalakrishnan
Sundar Gopalakrishnan
India
Local time: 23:07
English to Tamil
+ ...
Reading/Self Taught May 27, 2016

Even though I studied English from Third Standard to Under Graduate course II year, the teaching at the High School level was not good. My high school teachers taught us English literature and grammar, but not spoken English which I think is indispensable for mastering English. So I learnt English on my own by reading a lot of books, periodicals and newspapers. IMHO, self teaching is the best teaching method.

Laureana Pavon
Laureana Pavon  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 14:37
Member (2007)
English to Spanish
+ ...

Mainly May 27, 2016

Parrot wrote:

Bad poll. Namely, I experienced/did four of the options.

I don't think it's a bad poll at all.
I could also have picked four of the options, but chose just one based on the word "mainly".

Anthony Mazzorana (X)
Anthony Mazzorana (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:37
Spanish to English
+ ...
There should be an option to select more than one May 27, 2016

Grew up speaking one and then learned the other through a combination of several methods.

Egmont Schröder
Egmont Schröder  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2013)
Chinese to German
+ ...
studied+married+living+self study May 27, 2016

I first graduated from a medical vocational school in Germany where I lived my whole life, but I always had a love for languages. After that I went to Australia and found out that English wasn't that much of a challenge, since I did a lot of self study before (books, movies, ...). I came into contact with some Taiwanese travellers and my Taiwanese girlfriend (now my wife) and decided to study Mandarin, a language that always fascinated me.
After Australia I went to Taiwan, stayed two years
... See more
I first graduated from a medical vocational school in Germany where I lived my whole life, but I always had a love for languages. After that I went to Australia and found out that English wasn't that much of a challenge, since I did a lot of self study before (books, movies, ...). I came into contact with some Taiwanese travellers and my Taiwanese girlfriend (now my wife) and decided to study Mandarin, a language that always fascinated me.
After Australia I went to Taiwan, stayed two years, decided to change my career and studied Sinology and linguistics in Germany. After that, I went to Taiwan for a couple of times, but now I am settled down in Germany with wife and kid and making a living with medical translation.
Ironically, it is my wife who has a stable job in Germany and doesn't want to leave.
Collapse

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
A combination of the above May 27, 2016

Funny, I self-taught myself to count in German in my teens, then I forgot all about it. Moved to English in high school, having had classes at private elementary schools. Then took classes in English grammar and language while studying for my BA in Translation Studies. Throughout those years, I've read as much as possible in my free tiem (Reader's Digest and National Geographic).

In the interim before going to university, I spent 18 months evangelizing as a Mormon missionary; as suc
... See more
Funny, I self-taught myself to count in German in my teens, then I forgot all about it. Moved to English in high school, having had classes at private elementary schools. Then took classes in English grammar and language while studying for my BA in Translation Studies. Throughout those years, I've read as much as possible in my free tiem (Reader's Digest and National Geographic).

In the interim before going to university, I spent 18 months evangelizing as a Mormon missionary; as such, I had a lot of contact with American English, read as much as possible and attempted translating and speaking in English. Terrifying but fun!

I used to love Reader's Digest because of its short and informative articles, perfect for short spells of English reading. But then I discovered what a manipulative and dogmatic tool the magazine really is! I stopped reading it in the early 1990s.
Collapse

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
I could have learned Italian May 27, 2016

Kristina Cosumano wrote:

Studied it, read it, lived in it, worked in it, and then after 22 years married in it.

However I am still a little disappointed that the languages my ancestors spoke (Italian, Slovak, German) were not passed down. I understand that speaking anything but English was strongly discouraged at the time, and so they had their reasons for wanting to make all-American kids out of us.

I am all for passing down the languages I speak and read, not necessarily to make my descendants into translators. My baby brother has done that: he studied German in his teens, loved it and kept going to Institut Goethe for years, then he got married. His oldest son, in his teens, is studying German in the same institution and loving it.

My father had a working knowledge of Italian, which he used for work and family gatherings. His siblings too. But my father never bothered to pass the language to us his children. Pretty dumb move, though.

Linda Miranda
Linda Miranda  Identity Verified
Portugal
French to Portuguese
+ ...
Studied French for many years May 27, 2016

Along with working in it, reading and listening to.

I studied English as well, but lack of working with made a great damage (that's the reason why I rarely participate in these debates, where English prevails).

I learnt for years, and I'm still learning, Spanish, Italian and German on my own, Spanishhowever much more deeply than the others.

Valery Kaminski
Valery Kaminski  Identity Verified
Belarus
Local time: 20:37
English to Russian
+ ...
Studied... and taught May 27, 2016

Teaching English to 3rd-year students of a linguistic university builds up your own skills and keeps in good shape your 'language muscle'

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How did you mainly learn your source language(s)?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »