Poll: Where did you acquire your language skills?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Victor Dewsbery
Victor Dewsbery  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:12
German to English
+ ...
Jan 1, 2007

Other

Pity the poll didn't allow multiple options.

For me: university (after groundwork at school)
AND: living in the country of my acquired language (I've lived in Germany continuously since '82, and before that I spent some time here during my studies and immediately afterwards).

Choosing just one (university OR living in the country) would give a wrong impression because both were important. So I could only choose "Other".

P.S. The fro
... See more
Other

Pity the poll didn't allow multiple options.

For me: university (after groundwork at school)
AND: living in the country of my acquired language (I've lived in Germany continuously since '82, and before that I spent some time here during my studies and immediately afterwards).

Choosing just one (university OR living in the country) would give a wrong impression because both were important. So I could only choose "Other".

P.S. The front page didn't give a link to the poll discussion, so I created this topic "by hand". I have submitted a support ticket, so perhaps a link will come up on the front page.

[Edited at 2007-01-01 12:29]
Collapse

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 21:12
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Agree with Victor Jan 2, 2007

I voted for living in the country, but I hesitated a long time before doing so - I very much wanted to vote 'at university' as well.

In my case it was in that order, and I could never have done the university course without learning a lot of Danish first, but I would never have become a professional translator without the academic training.

It is possible, but why invent the wheel and make all the mistakes yourself when there are excellent tutors and courses where you c
... See more
I voted for living in the country, but I hesitated a long time before doing so - I very much wanted to vote 'at university' as well.

In my case it was in that order, and I could never have done the university course without learning a lot of Danish first, but I would never have become a professional translator without the academic training.

It is possible, but why invent the wheel and make all the mistakes yourself when there are excellent tutors and courses where you can learn the basic principles and avoid the worst mistakes?

Quite seriously, I think both are indispensable.

Happy New Year, everyone!

[Edited at 2007-01-02 11:38]
Collapse

Malik Beytek (X)
Malik Beytek (X)
Local time: 22:12
About bilingual qualification... Jan 2, 2007

Victor Dewsbery wrote:

"...Pity the poll didn't allow multiple options...."

Yep.

And "bilingual" option in the poll seems to imply that studying at university or living in the country is neither necessary nor sufficient for becoming bilingual.

Is that true?

For example, is Henry Kissinger bilingual or not?

ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
TOPIC STARTER
Poll: Where did you acquire your language skills? Dec 31, 2006

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Where did you acquire your language skills?"

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Where did you acquire your language skills?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »