NAATI exam
Thread poster: AL151
AL151
AL151
English to Chinese
Jun 9, 2008

Hi there,
(1)I am intending to take a NAATI exam for Chinese-English and although my profession is in the legal practice, and not translation per se, I have daily used my language skills to translate documents from English to Chinese. As I intend to use the accreditation for skilled migration purposes, I am wondering whether there is any truth that one has to be in active practice as a full time translator for this purpose?I think this is unclear in the rules.

(2) I understand
... See more
Hi there,
(1)I am intending to take a NAATI exam for Chinese-English and although my profession is in the legal practice, and not translation per se, I have daily used my language skills to translate documents from English to Chinese. As I intend to use the accreditation for skilled migration purposes, I am wondering whether there is any truth that one has to be in active practice as a full time translator for this purpose?I think this is unclear in the rules.

(2) I understand we are allowed to use electronic dictionaries but not one which has translation of phrases but would this apply to proverbs? Or is it better just to use a dictionary manually to be safe?

(3) I have also been hunting for dictionaries for the old-form Chinese but do not seem to have any luck here. Any recommendation?

Thank you.

AL
Collapse

Eleonor Palacio
Eleonor Palacio  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:13
English to Spanish
NAATI Exam Jun 10, 2008

Hi there,

1-In regards the first question, it is unclear to me what exactly are you asking. I am currently a NAATI accredited translator and from last year, to be active in the profession those ones who gain accreditation through examination have to sit the exam every three years to retain such accreditation.

As for the first time you sit the exam, there is no requirement that you will have to become a full time professional translator, in fact, not many accredited tran
... See more
Hi there,

1-In regards the first question, it is unclear to me what exactly are you asking. I am currently a NAATI accredited translator and from last year, to be active in the profession those ones who gain accreditation through examination have to sit the exam every three years to retain such accreditation.

As for the first time you sit the exam, there is no requirement that you will have to become a full time professional translator, in fact, not many accredited translators work in the profession full time.

As far as I am concerned you are asked whether you are attempting the exam for immigration purposes or to become a practicing professional in the T and I industry, but you are not going to fail the exam for choosing one or the other.

2-You better check with NAATI that the electronic dictionary you want to take to the exam is permited. Just call them up.

Good luck!
Collapse

AL151
AL151
English to Chinese
TOPIC STARTER
NAATI exam Jun 10, 2008

Is it a necessity to do 2-way translation to be acredited for immigration purposes or is it sufficient to sit for the exams 1- way ie from Chinese -English?
Thank you.

Helen Li
Helen Li  Identity Verified
Singapore
Local time: 12:13
English to Chinese
+ ...
one-way professional translator Sep 10, 2008

Hi, AL151,

As far as I am aware, if you are accredited by NAATI as a professional translator in one-way translation (for example, from Chinese to English), you will be able to get 60 points under the "General Skilled Migration Program" (full marks in respect of occupation). On top of that, you can get 5 points of language fluency bonus points. The detailed information is available in the NAATI exam manuals.

By the way, as your original post was dated in June, have you
... See more
Hi, AL151,

As far as I am aware, if you are accredited by NAATI as a professional translator in one-way translation (for example, from Chinese to English), you will be able to get 60 points under the "General Skilled Migration Program" (full marks in respect of occupation). On top of that, you can get 5 points of language fluency bonus points. The detailed information is available in the NAATI exam manuals.

By the way, as your original post was dated in June, have you already taken your NAATI exam?

Good luck!
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

NAATI exam

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »