Do you receive email with an attachment normally named document.pic?
Thread poster: laura federici
laura federici
laura federici
Italy
Local time: 16:58
English to Italian
+ ...
Jun 1, 2004

I receive several times per day an email with an attachment, document.pic. I know it is a virus and I remove it immediately. So my PC has not been infected. Could it find addresses from Proz database?

gianfranco
gianfranco  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 11:58
Member (2001)
English to Italian
+ ...
Worms propagation and email addresses spoofing Jun 1, 2004

laura federici wrote:
Could it find addresses from Proz database?

A common methods for malicious emails to spread is to scan the email addresses contained in an infected system and send messages to them. The addresses are picked up on the infected PCs and not from the ProZ.com database.

Note that some types of 'worms' (this is the correct name for this type of self-propagating messages) use a technique called 'spoofing', where they come from a system and appear to have been originated elsewhere.
The real origin is replaced with a false (picked randomly) origin, which could be anything, including a ProZ.com email address or any other address (whose owner is unaware and uninfected) that happen to appear in a message received by the infected system.

Gianfranco

Randa Farhat
Randa Farhat  Identity Verified
Lebanon
Local time: 17:58
English to Arabic
+ ...
yes, plenty Jun 1, 2004

Hello,
I receive them everyday but not through Proz database.
The best and quick solution (if blocking the sender doesn't stop them) is to close the targeted email account and create a new one then update your email address accordingly. Although this sounds a non practical solution but so far I haven't found another better!
Cheers!

laura federici
laura federici
Italy
Local time: 16:58
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you Jun 1, 2004

Thanks Gianfranco

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 17:58
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
I would suggest using a reliable antivirus Jun 1, 2004

as daily change of email address might impair your business
And normal (shareware) antivirus will not allow you to execute the virus even if you'd wanted to

Uldis.
(I can recommend KAV 5.0, really cool, perfect interface (just 3 buttons, you can set more detailed properties/preferences, of course, but I found I need not) and it deals with
... See more
as daily change of email address might impair your business
And normal (shareware) antivirus will not allow you to execute the virus even if you'd wanted to

Uldis.
(I can recommend KAV 5.0, really cool, perfect interface (just 3 buttons, you can set more detailed properties/preferences, of course, but I found I need not) and it deals with viruses somewhere between LAN and mail program, I don't know where, but the main difference between version 4.5 and 5 is that viruses are destroyed before they reach the mailer).

U.

BTW, this is not an advertisement, it's just that we use KAV for 6 years now without single virus getting through.
Kalila wrote:

Hello,
I receive them everyday but not through Proz database.
The best and quick solution (if blocking the sender doesn't stop them) is to close the targeted email account and create a new one then update your email address accordingly. Although this sounds a non practical solution but so far I haven't found another better!
Cheers!

[Edited at 2004-06-01 21:47]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Do you receive email with an attachment normally named document.pic?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »