Thread poster: Luisa Bosetti
Luisa Bosetti
Luisa Bosetti
Local time: 21:52
English to Italian
+ ...
Feb 15, 2010

Hi!
I'm a new MAC user. I switched from PC to MAC less than a couple of weeks ago and I'm still trying to get used to it
I really like the new OS, although I had to install a virtual PC with Windows in order to use Trados. I translate from English and Spanish and I usually write e-mails and instant messages to PMs in Spain and Latin America. When I needed any special character (such as Spanish accented letters and so on
... See more
Hi!
I'm a new MAC user. I switched from PC to MAC less than a couple of weeks ago and I'm still trying to get used to it
I really like the new OS, although I had to install a virtual PC with Windows in order to use Trados. I translate from English and Spanish and I usually write e-mails and instant messages to PMs in Spain and Latin America. When I needed any special character (such as Spanish accented letters and so on) on my Windows machine, I could enter ASCII characters by holding Alt then pressing the numbers on the numpad. Now I can do the same thing when I use the virtual PC but - obviously - not when I write my messages in Mail. I know I could use Keyboard Viewer/Character Palette, but it would be much simpler for me to be able to use something similar to Windows ASCII codes...
Any help?

Thank u!!!
Collapse

Madeleine MacRae Klintebo
Madeleine MacRae Klintebo  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:52
Swedish to English
+ ...
Just add Spanish in the regional/language options Feb 16, 2010

Go to Start > Control panel etc and add Spanish as an input language. You can then switch between languages in the taskbar. Google for Spanish keyboard layout and once you've learnt it you only have to press one key to type a "Spanish" character.

The above is for your Window's partition. For Mac just go to system preferences > Language / text > Input sources, tick your languages and again learn the keyboard layout.

Edited to add Mac instructions

[Edited at 2010-
... See more
Go to Start > Control panel etc and add Spanish as an input language. You can then switch between languages in the taskbar. Google for Spanish keyboard layout and once you've learnt it you only have to press one key to type a "Spanish" character.

The above is for your Window's partition. For Mac just go to system preferences > Language / text > Input sources, tick your languages and again learn the keyboard layout.

Edited to add Mac instructions

[Edited at 2010-02-16 00:14 GMT]
Collapse

David Russi
David Russi  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:52
English to Spanish
+ ...
Pretty easy, actually Feb 16, 2010

option e + vowel = that vowel with an acute accent
option e + SHIFT VOWEL = that accented uppercase vowel

So...
Type option e, let go of noth keys, then press o to get ó
Option e + e = é
Option e + Shift O = Ó
Option e + shift A = Á
etc.

option n + n = ñ
option n + shift N = Ñ

option u + u = ü

option 1 =¡
Shift+Option+? = ¿

Play with these for a while and you won't need to c
... See more
option e + vowel = that vowel with an acute accent
option e + SHIFT VOWEL = that accented uppercase vowel

So...
Type option e, let go of noth keys, then press o to get ó
Option e + e = é
Option e + Shift O = Ó
Option e + shift A = Á
etc.

option n + n = ñ
option n + shift N = Ñ

option u + u = ü

option 1 =¡
Shift+Option+? = ¿

Play with these for a while and you won't need to change keyboards or learn any other layout.
Collapse

Luisa Bosetti
Luisa Bosetti
Local time: 21:52
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Done :-) Feb 16, 2010

Madeleine, your suggestion has been very useful, I'll keep it in mind when I'll need to type long texts in Spanish
David, thanks a lot. I guess our keyboards are slightly different, I'm Italian and I purchased my iMac here in Italy. The key combination is not exactly the same but I've managed to learn how to do it with my Italian keyboard. I'm sure I just have to get used to it!
Thanks again and have a nice day!!!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ASCII codes

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »