Tony M
France
Local time: 18:44
French to English
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Nov 4, 2008

HELP!

I recently signed up for gmail, and ever since then, every time I try to click on a 'mailto:' link, it automatically sends me off to gmail; the problem is, I don't usually want to use gmail, but I can't find out how to turn off this 'default' setting! If it's any help, my usual e-mail program is Outlook Express.

Worse still, I can't even use gmail, nor access its own support forum, since I have of course forgotten the identification information I used to sign up w
... See more
HELP!

I recently signed up for gmail, and ever since then, every time I try to click on a 'mailto:' link, it automatically sends me off to gmail; the problem is, I don't usually want to use gmail, but I can't find out how to turn off this 'default' setting! If it's any help, my usual e-mail program is Outlook Express.

Worse still, I can't even use gmail, nor access its own support forum, since I have of course forgotten the identification information I used to sign up with, and all my attempts to recover it so far have failed!

Please HELP!

[Edited at 2008-11-04 12:03]
Collapse

EHI (X)
EHI (X)
Google Toolbar Nov 4, 2008

You are probably using Google Toolbar.

Go to Settings of Google Toolbar, Options, More, Page Tools and deactivate Send to Gmail.

Tony M
Tony M
France
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
SITE LOCALIZER
Thanks a lot, Lutz! Nov 4, 2008

Spot on! I had reset my default mail server in Outlook Express, but couldn't understand why that didn't work; I had no idea that it was also configured under the Google toolbar.

Thanks so much for your timely help!

Ahmet Murati
Ahmet Murati  Identity Verified
Germany
English to Albanian
+ ...
Wel, for myself Nov 4, 2008

I use also gmail account but I don't use the google toolbar
so I had no such case

if you use yahoo toolbar they you can have same result

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Invasive gmail as default mail server!

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »