Voting PRO / non-PRO - Just how does this work?
Thread poster: Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:05
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
May 11, 2005

Just how does this work? On questions where people have voted to raise a question from non-PRO to PRO, a box appears that says "vote non-PRO". So I hit that and that's the only choice I have and it's not the one I want.

Am I then restricted to voting non-PRO or keeping my silence? But apparently others can vote for "PRO", so how can I do it?

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2005-05-11 19:24]

Maria Karra
Maria Karra  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:05
Member (2000)
Greek to English
+ ...
How do votes work? May 11, 2005

Henry Hinds wrote:

Just how does this work? On questions where people have voted to raise a question from non-PRO to PRO, a box appears that says "vote non-PRO". So I hit that and that's the only choice I have and it's not the one I want.

Am I then restricted to voting non-PRO or keeping my silence? But apparently others can vote for "PRO", so how can I do it?

Hi Henry.
No, don't keep your silence If you are able to vote for a question to become non-Pro, you should be able to do the opposite too. Could it be that the question had already been changed to Pro, and so there was no need for more votes?
Maria

[Edited at 2005-05-11 19:45]

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
You can only vote it in the other direction May 11, 2005

As things stand now, you can only vote for a change. When a third vote is received, it switches over.

Henry Hinds
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Still Confused May 11, 2005

I no longer recall the question involved and I'm still as confused as ever, I don't understand at all how it works.

Besides, my vote is to abolish "PRO and non-PRO" entirely, it appears to be lacking any basis or meaning. But as long as it exists, we should know how it works.

Maria Karra
Maria Karra  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2000)
Greek to English
+ ...
with 3 votes the level changes May 11, 2005

Henry Hinds wrote:
I no longer recall the question involved and I'm still as confused as ever, I don't understand at all how it works.

Here's how I understand it (Henry (Dotterer) can correct me if I'm wrong):
If a question is non-Pro, you can vote to have it changed to Pro. Three votes are needed for the question to change. When two more people vote, the question changes to Pro, and at the bottom of the page you see the third person's name (i.e. the person who casts the deciding vote).
After a question has changed, there is no longer a need for more votes to make it Pro, since it's already been done. So you are only given the possibility to change it to non-Pro, if you disagree with the classification.

This applies to changing level in the other direction.
Did this explanation help at all?

Maria

Henry Hinds
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
In memoriam
Hmmmmm... May 11, 2005

I seem to recall that two people had voted to make the question "PRO" and I wanted to also do the same. But the only choice said "non-PRO". I hit that without actually wanting to and voted against it unwillingly.

Like I say, I can't recall the question now, but I was and still am confused. I just don't get it.

Myron Netchypor
Myron Netchypor  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 14:05
Member (2003)
English to Ukrainian
+ ...

de gustiba...;) May 12, 2005

... and what to do when three translators consider this question as pro, and three others disagree with them;)

for example for technicians *Rankine cycle* is the easy question, what one cannot say about lawyers

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Voting PRO / non-PRO - Just how does this work?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »