ps.I didnt grow up in an English speaking country

Jørgen Madsen
Jørgen Madsen  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:48
English to Danish
+ ...
Use OneLook.com Dec 8, 2003

Onelook.com is very for this kind of thing:
Just type "date" or "dating" in the "Word or phrase" field and hit Search.
You'll get all the definitions you like, e.g,:

"A date is an occasion when one meets and goes out with a potential lover or future spouse. In this sense, the purpose of a date is for the people dating to get to know each other and decide whether they want to have a relationship."

Regards,
Jørgen

Gerard de Noord
Gerard de Noord  Identity Verified
France
Member (2003)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Google can help Dec 8, 2003

enter

define: dating

in the search box.

The process of socializing and spending time with a variety of people for the purpose of having fun. The practice of dating one person at a time for the purpose of testing if a relationship would work we refer to as "serial monogamy" or the "mini-marriage". Typically, the sole criterion for dating someone is that they are attractive and willing. The difference for someone who is ready for a committed relationship and
... See more
enter

define: dating

in the search box.

The process of socializing and spending time with a variety of people for the purpose of having fun. The practice of dating one person at a time for the purpose of testing if a relationship would work we refer to as "serial monogamy" or the "mini-marriage". Typically, the sole criterion for dating someone is that they are attractive and willing. The difference for someone who is ready for a committed relationship and seeking their Life Partner is that they will consciously sort and screen prospects until they find a high-likelihood candidate, then enter a "pre-committed" relationship.
sites.onlinemac.com/lifecoach/glossary.htm

Regards,
Gerard
Collapse

Jane Lamb-Ruiz (X)
Jane Lamb-Ruiz (X)  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
what it means Dec 8, 2003

1) going out with someone romantically
2) may or may not involve sleeping with depending on how long you have been going out with the person OR your practices.
3) what I mean is one could be dating and not sleeping with.

That's the short answer but gets to the point.
4) to go on a date is NOT the same as DATING...to go on a date means to go out with someone to the movies or for dinner where romance
... See more
1) going out with someone romantically
2) may or may not involve sleeping with depending on how long you have been going out with the person OR your practices.
3) what I mean is one could be dating and not sleeping with.

That's the short answer but gets to the point.
4) to go on a date is NOT the same as DATING...to go on a date means to go out with someone to the movies or for dinner where romance MIGHT become an option whereas dating implies you have been going out for sometime ie have had several or more dates..or romantic encounters with the person...

[Edited at 2003-12-08 16:59]
Collapse

Syeda Tanbira Zaman
Syeda Tanbira Zaman
Local time: 10:18
English to Assamese
+ ...
Dated? Dec 8, 2003

Jane Lamb-Ruiz wrote:
To go on a date is NOT the same as DATING...to go on a date means to go out with someone to the movies or for dinner where romance MIGHT become an option whereas dating implies you have been going out for sometime ie have had several or more dates..or romantic encounters with the person...

[Edited at 2003-12-08 16:59]

Thanks for clearing up the confusion. Yoy go on a date with someone who is not DATED right?...Pun intended.:)

Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I didn't know all that Dec 9, 2003

What a revelation. I always thought that a date was a little oblong fleshy fruit found in the Middle East.

louisajay
louisajay
Spanish to English
+ ...
can i just point out Dec 10, 2003

this all relates more to US English. In the UK we don't really "date" and a couple are not said to be "dating"; we do "go on dates" but that's only really the first couple of times you go out with someone. After that you're generally "seeing someone" and then when it's a bit more established you are described as "going out with" someone. Complicated huh? What I'm really trying to say is that while the term "dating" would be understood in UK English it might not be understood to mean the same thi... See more
this all relates more to US English. In the UK we don't really "date" and a couple are not said to be "dating"; we do "go on dates" but that's only really the first couple of times you go out with someone. After that you're generally "seeing someone" and then when it's a bit more established you are described as "going out with" someone. Complicated huh? What I'm really trying to say is that while the term "dating" would be understood in UK English it might not be understood to mean the same thing as in US Eng!Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Fernanda Rocha[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How do u define "dating"?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »