DropBox Misery
Thread poster: Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
Local time: 08:12
English to Indonesian
+ ...
Dec 16, 2016

DropBox will end support for links in its Public folder on March 15, 2017. Since I use that Public folder to add pics to ProZ messages, all 217 pictures I added to my postings will get lost, and a few of them are arguably useful to some people.

Does anybody happen to have a smart and easy solution for this?

Cheers,

Hans

FarkasAndras
FarkasAndras  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:12
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Too bad Dec 18, 2016

That's unfortunate.
The option dropbox would like you to take is to pay for a pro account or whatever it's called. Then your links will survive (I think).
The only alternative is to re-host your pics elsewhere and edit the posts (which would require site staff to help, I guess).
I also use db public folders quite regularly. I think I will move my stuff to google drive and wave goodbye to dropbox. I'm not a fan of this sort of "encouragement" to "upgrade".

esperantisto
esperantisto  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:12
Member (2006)
English to Russian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
As I understand… Dec 19, 2016

FarkasAndras wrote:

The option dropbox would like you to take is to pay for a pro account or whatever it's called.

…, no, they don’t push you to a pro/business account:

Dropbox Pro and Business users: Beginning September 1, 2017, you can no longer render HTML content and the Public folder and its sharing functionality will be disabled.

https://www.dropbox.com/help/16
https://www.dropbox.com/help/274
https://www.dropbox.com/help/167

They completely disable this feature suggesting to create shared links, as they call it (pro/business users will only have a longer transition period). It looks like there is no automated way to create shared links to files from the (so far )Public folder, only one by one.

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
English to Indonesian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That's bad indeed Dec 20, 2016

esperantisto wrote: It looks like there is no automated way to create shared links to files from the (so far )Public folder, only one by one.

I was afraid of that. Editing the posts is not an option for 217 pics. It's too much work, especially because I'd have to find the relevant postings first, and then ask for moderator help. Undoable. Thanks for thinking along anyway.

Cheers,

Hans

Meta Arkadia
Meta Arkadia
English to Indonesian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
A glimmer of hope? Dec 20, 2016

The very first link you provided, starts with:

Dropbox accounts created after October 4, 2012, will not have a Public folder.

My account is much older...

Cheers,

Hans

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

DropBox Misery

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »