Thread poster: Arlete Moraes
Arlete Moraes
Arlete Moraes  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:02
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Oct 17, 2011

Dear colleagues,

Apologies for not writing in Spanish. I would like to share this with you. I have received the following email today requesting a quote for a Spanish>Portuguese translation:

-----------
You have been sent a message via ProZ.com.
Author: Juanjo, Ed. Tikal
[NOTE: The author is not a registered ProZ.com user or was not logged in when sending this message.] Author's IP address: 80.58.205.44 Message type: Request for quote
-----------
... See more
Dear colleagues,

Apologies for not writing in Spanish. I would like to share this with you. I have received the following email today requesting a quote for a Spanish>Portuguese translation:

-----------
You have been sent a message via ProZ.com.
Author: Juanjo, Ed. Tikal
[NOTE: The author is not a registered ProZ.com user or was not logged in when sending this message.] Author's IP address: 80.58.205.44 Message type: Request for quote
-----------

Necesito una traducción del contrato adjunto al portugues.
Juanjo Martin Borras

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Firstly, I though it was a bit suspicious as this person uses a hotmail account ([email protected]) claiming he works for a publishing house called Tikal Ediciones in Spain.
I asked for more details such as full address, website and phone number and he got back to me with an address in Barcelona. Searching on the internet, I found out that the company is based in Madrid. I called the company asking for this person and I was told that he does not work there and that other people contacted them today to check it out as well.
Collapse

Marilena Berca
Marilena Berca  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:02
Member (2009)
English to Spanish
+ ...
The same scammer Oct 17, 2011

Hi Arlete,

I received an email from "him" last week and I had the same feeling. It's the same scammer that Aurélie is talking about and who tricked me and other translators as well.

http://www.proz.com/forum/scams/209113-rfpaloma@livecom_another_scam.html

I hope nobody replied to "his offer".

Best!

... See more
Hi Arlete,

I received an email from "him" last week and I had the same feeling. It's the same scammer that Aurélie is talking about and who tricked me and other translators as well.

http://www.proz.com/forum/scams/209113-rfpaloma@livecom_another_scam.html

I hope nobody replied to "his offer".

Best!

[Edited at 2011-10-17 17:42 GMT]
Collapse

Walter Landesman
Walter Landesman  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 13:02
English to Spanish
+ ...
delete Oct 17, 2011

just delete his message and forget about it.

Woodstock (X)
Woodstock (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
If you want to avoid getting Oct 18, 2011

these types of e-mails altogether, just change your e-mail setting from allowing anyone to send you a message via your profile page to one of the other options. I have not gotten any of these scam offers since I did that. You may miss one or the other job offer, but my opinion is that if a potential legitimate client can't be bothered to register or log in, then they aren't going to pay my rate, either.

To change your settings, just mouse over your user name at the top and click on
... See more
these types of e-mails altogether, just change your e-mail setting from allowing anyone to send you a message via your profile page to one of the other options. I have not gotten any of these scam offers since I did that. You may miss one or the other job offer, but my opinion is that if a potential legitimate client can't be bothered to register or log in, then they aren't going to pay my rate, either.

To change your settings, just mouse over your user name at the top and click on the third section (called "My email settings" in the menu that appears. I just saw that when you click that, there is a new function now, which says "I want staff to vet all messages sent to me via my profile (for members only)" That should certainly stop you from getting these types of emails, too.

Edited to improve formatting.

[Edited at 2011-10-18 04:41 GMT]
Collapse

Arlete Moraes
Arlete Moraes  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:02
English to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Oct 18, 2011

Thank you for your input. My intention was to warn other translators about it.

I hope that no one has worked for this person...

Have a nice week!

Marilena Berca
Marilena Berca  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2009)
English to Spanish
+ ...
the story has no end Oct 18, 2011

Today I've come across this thread, all about the same...

http://www.proz.com/forum/spanish/201709-cuidado_estafa_.html

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Scam - Spain

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »