Thread poster: Jacqueline Ball
Jacqueline Ball
Jacqueline Ball  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:08
Member (2012)
German to English
Aug 9, 2012

Hi there,

I have recently purchased SDL Trados 2011. I am a fairly new translator and previously I was using Wordfast Anywhere, which was great, but had too many limitations (understandably for a a free tool) for the long-term. I spent a long time weighing up the advantages of various tools before making the decision to go with Trados, and I'm a little concerned that despite my research I overlooked a major limitation in Studio, and have made the wrong decision.

My main
... See more
Hi there,

I have recently purchased SDL Trados 2011. I am a fairly new translator and previously I was using Wordfast Anywhere, which was great, but had too many limitations (understandably for a a free tool) for the long-term. I spent a long time weighing up the advantages of various tools before making the decision to go with Trados, and I'm a little concerned that despite my research I overlooked a major limitation in Studio, and have made the wrong decision.

My main client nearly always requires me to deliver unclean bilingual Word documents (they work in Trados 2007). They send me Word documents, I import to Wordfast Anywhere, translate, export as a bilingual Word document. Very straightforward.

Is it possible to export a bilingual Word document from Studio 2011? I have read forums that require you to pre-segment the Word document in Trados Workbench before importing into Studio. Is there any way around this for those of us who don't have Trados Workbench?

Thanks very much in advance for any help anyone can offer.

Kind regards,
Jacqueline
Collapse

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:08
English
Why is it the solutions in the Trados forum are always non Trados? Aug 9, 2012

Dominique Pivard wrote:

Jacqueline Ball wrote:
I spent a long time weighing up the advantages of various tools before making the decision to go with Trados, and I'm a little concerned that despite my research I overlooked a major limitation in Studio, and have made the wrong decision.

Had your investigation been slightly more thorough, you would have noticed memoQ has a way to export any document as "Trados-compatible bilingual DOC"

SDL provides a platform for developing all kind of applications that work with Studio, and many of these are free. For example, we have the SDDLXLIFF to Legacy Converter that will convert any document as "Trados-compatible bilingual DOC"... or DOCX or TTX or TMX

You can get this from here:

http://www.translationzone.com/en/openexchange/AppDetails.aspx?appid=194

Dominique Pivard wrote:

Jacqueline Ball wrote:
Is it possible to export a bilingual Word document from Studio 2011? I have read forums that require you to pre-segment the Word document in Trados Workbench before importing into Studio. Is there any way around this for those of us who don't have Trados Workbench?

For Word documents, you can use Wordfast Classic (demo mode sufficient) to presegment them (using the Translate function). You can then import them in Studio 2011 and translate them there. When you save the target file, you will have the kind of bilingual ("uncleaned") document your client requires.
However, this won't work with other document types, since Studio lacks the above-mentioned export function found in memoQ.

Just one thing on this... neither the memoQ export or the Legacy Converter are a substitute for presegmenting in Trados Workbench first if this is what your client wants. I would recommend that you check with your client because if they want a bilingual doc from you that they can "clean" up to update their TM and have a "cleaned" document themselves then presegmenting first is the only way to go. I can't comment on how successful this would be with the Wordfast route as I have never presegmented a file with Wordfast and then tried to clean it up in Workbench.

Regards

Paul

Jacqueline Ball
Member (2012)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you Aug 9, 2012

Hi Paul,

Thanks very much for your response. I shall try out the SDDLXLIFF to Legacy Converter and see if that works.

Thanks also to Dominque. (Unsure why your post was removed...). It may well be necessary for me to use this work around in Wordfast.

Kind regards,
Jacqueline

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Jacqueline Ball
Member (2012)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Ongoing compatibility issues with SDL Trados Studio 2011 and Trados 2007 Aug 28, 2012

Hi there,

Since my last post, I have tried using the SDDLXLIFF to Legacy Converter app as a way of getting around the compatibility issues with the SDL Trados Studio 2011 and Trados 2007.

It works in so far as this now means I can deliver an unclean bilingual Word document that my client can use, HOWEVER, it changes the formatting of the source text (adding extra blank lines into the document) which means the client has to spend time tidying up the document (I cannot a
... See more
Hi there,

Since my last post, I have tried using the SDDLXLIFF to Legacy Converter app as a way of getting around the compatibility issues with the SDL Trados Studio 2011 and Trados 2007.

It works in so far as this now means I can deliver an unclean bilingual Word document that my client can use, HOWEVER, it changes the formatting of the source text (adding extra blank lines into the document) which means the client has to spend time tidying up the document (I cannot appear to do that my end as the formatting is not visible). This is acceptable with shorter jobs, but not with longer jobs, and therefore is not a viable long-term solution.

Is there any other solution (bearing in mind, I do not own any other versions of SDL/Trados/Workbench)? I cannot believe that Studio 2011 is not compatible with earlier additions of the same software... I really hope someone can put me straight on this.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Kind regards,
Jacqueline
Collapse

Mirjam Spekking
Mirjam Spekking  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English to Dutch
+ ...
About adding extra lines in Word during conversion back to .doc Sep 5, 2012

I have the same problem.
When I have a .docx or .doc document, translate it in Studio, and either save the target as a word file, because the client wants a word file, then extra white lines are added, and the layout more or less goes haywire.
To work around it I do the following: I open the word file in open office, save it as an odt. (open office file), then translate in Studio, save target as original (odt) file, open this file in Open Office and then save as word file.
... See more
I have the same problem.
When I have a .docx or .doc document, translate it in Studio, and either save the target as a word file, because the client wants a word file, then extra white lines are added, and the layout more or less goes haywire.
To work around it I do the following: I open the word file in open office, save it as an odt. (open office file), then translate in Studio, save target as original (odt) file, open this file in Open Office and then save as word file.

Then the layout is identical.

I have not yet installed SP2, by the way.

So perhaps it would be an option for you and your client to install open office, so you can deliver an odt file, and your client could then save the odt file you deliver as word file...

Mirjam,

hoping for more replies, as I find this 'solution' rather cumbersome...

[Edited at 2012-09-05 13:41 GMT]
Collapse

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Using the SDLXLIFF to Legacy Converter Sep 5, 2012

Hi Jacqueline,

This part is relevant here:

Just one thing on this... neither the memoQ export or the Legacy Converter are a substitute for presegmenting in Trados Workbench first if this is what your client wants. I would recommend that you check with your client because if they want a bilingual doc from you that they can "clean" up to update their TM and have a "cleaned" document themselves then presegmenting first is the only way to go. I can't comment on how successful this would be with the Wordfast route as I have never presegmented a file with Wordfast and then tried to clean it up in Workbench.

The process using the SDLXLIFF to Legacy Converter is this:

1. Open a word doc in Studio - this creates an sdlxliff file (this is no longer a word file)
  2. Export to Word using the SDLXLIFF to Legacy Converter - the conversion process is converting the sdlxliff
  3. Clean up in Workbench - this creates a word file based on the text alone that was in the converted sdlxliff

If you want to use this workflow then you must provide the cleaned file from Studio in addition to the bilingual doc from the converter. This allows your client to update their TM from the bilingual doc (if this is what they want) and have the cleaned file already formatted from Studio.

This tool is great for providing translators with a bilingual doc so they can translate a file you prepared in Studio using Workbench and Word... but possibly less useful for your client. Hence the reason I suggested you check with your client first.

The only surefire way to provide an unclean file for Trados that can be cleaned so you have a fully formatted document at the end, in addition to updating the TM, is to create the bilingual word file in Workbench before you start.

Dominic suggested Wordfast as a possible solution for this and this may be a suitable way forward if this is all you have. I did a brief test and had limited success roundtripping the process through Studio... so I think for a robust and sure process you need to use Workbench.

Regards

Paul

RWS Community
RWS Community
United Kingdom
English
Adding extra white lines.. Sep 5, 2012

Mirjam Spekking wrote:

I have the same problem.

Then the layout is identical.

Hi Mirjam,

I'm not sure this is the same issue... perhaps you can share a file with me that does this so I can reproduce the problem you describe?

Regards

Paul

Jacqueline Ball
Member (2012)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Problem with export from SDL Trados Studio 2011 Sep 13, 2012

Hi there,

I have been using a workaround that Paul and Dominque kindly helped me with in order to deliver bilingual Word files to a Trados 2009 user (the workaround involved running the source document through a demo version of Wordfast to create a 'bilingual' document and then importing this into Studio. Having done that, I can then export a bilingual Word document in a format that works for my client). HOWEVER... (and I'm not sure if the problem is specific to this workaround or a
... See more
Hi there,

I have been using a workaround that Paul and Dominque kindly helped me with in order to deliver bilingual Word files to a Trados 2009 user (the workaround involved running the source document through a demo version of Wordfast to create a 'bilingual' document and then importing this into Studio. Having done that, I can then export a bilingual Word document in a format that works for my client). HOWEVER... (and I'm not sure if the problem is specific to this workaround or a separate issue):

I have just been working on a 5,000 word translation (source doc = Word doc). I have come to export it (Save target as) and I get the error message:

Failed to save target content: Placeholder was removed. Please run Tag Verification to see the details.

I duly ran Tag Verification and there were four instances where spaces had to be removed in the source text. I did this, ran Verification again (Tools/Verify) and got the 'Verification complete. No errors reported'. However, I still get the same error message when I try to export my file...

I'm at a loss of what else to try. My delivery deadline is EOD today, so I'd really appreciate it if anyone could help me.

Many thanks,
Jacqueline
Collapse

Dominique Pivard
Dominique Pivard  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:08
Finnish to French
How to pre-segment a DOC in Workbench or Trados, for translation in Studio and delivery as uncleaned Sep 16, 2012

Jacqueline Ball wrote:
Thanks also to Dominque. (Unsure why your post was removed...). It may well be necessary for me to use this work around in Wordfast.

Yes, I'm not sure why my post was removed, as I provided a way to pre-segment a document with Wordfast Classic, so that you are able to translate it in Studio and deliver it in the so-called uncleaned format, which is what you wanted to achieve.

Anyway, I just made a video with the same instructions, and I also included the procedure with Trados Workbench, so hopefully this post won't be removed:

http://wordfast.fi/blog/?p=368
or
http://youtu.be/W09GwI_F0kI?hd=1

Jacqueline Ball
Member (2012)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
How to pre-segment a DOC in Workbench or Trados, for translation in Studio and delivery as uncleaned Sep 17, 2012

Hi Dominque,

Thanks very much for the video instructions and for all your help - very useful indeed.

Kind regards,
Jacqueline

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Saving bilingual (unclean) Word documents from Studio 2011

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »