Thread poster: Jacques DP
Jacques DP
Jacques DP  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 10:12
English to French
Apr 22, 2013

Hello there,

I have to use Trados 2007 on client-supplied TTX prepared from XLS files. The text is full of br tags in the middle of sentences, and I would like these to be ignored by segmentation when I translate the file. In other words I think I would like the tags to be treated as internal elements rather than external ones, if that is the correct way to phrase it.

What would be the best way to go about this?

(I think I did that in the past but I can't r
... See more
Hello there,

I have to use Trados 2007 on client-supplied TTX prepared from XLS files. The text is full of br tags in the middle of sentences, and I would like these to be ignored by segmentation when I translate the file. In other words I think I would like the tags to be treated as internal elements rather than external ones, if that is the correct way to phrase it.

What would be the best way to go about this?

(I think I did that in the past but I can't remember how.)

Thanks a lot.

Jacques
Collapse

Jacques DP
Switzerland
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Let me guess Apr 22, 2013

A. Of course, one possibility would be to take the source XLS, remove the linebreaks, recreate the TTX.

B. Maybe it would also work to delete the Linebreak end-rule in the TM setup, and recreate the TTX from the untouched XLS?

C. But is it possible to make a change that would allow me to work around this from the existing TTX? (As opposed to extending segments manually as I'm doing now, which is note very practical in the long run.) I'm wondering if the TTX already cont
... See more
A. Of course, one possibility would be to take the source XLS, remove the linebreaks, recreate the TTX.

B. Maybe it would also work to delete the Linebreak end-rule in the TM setup, and recreate the TTX from the untouched XLS?

C. But is it possible to make a change that would allow me to work around this from the existing TTX? (As opposed to extending segments manually as I'm doing now, which is note very practical in the long run.) I'm wondering if the TTX already contains the segmentation, or whether the segmentation is done "virtually" when analyzing the file, and recreated while one translates...

[Edited at 2013-04-22 14:22 GMT]
Collapse

Jacques DP
Switzerland
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Filter settings Apr 23, 2013

I realized/remembered that the creation of a TTX in which br tags don't work as segment boundaries is possible through the Filter Settings utility, by selecting the option not to segment at newlines in XLS. My original question stands, though by now I am guessing that once the TTX is created, there is no way to avoid this, except for expanding segments manually.

Sometimes just asking questions to people help to solve them even when no answer is provided...
See more
I realized/remembered that the creation of a TTX in which br tags don't work as segment boundaries is possible through the Filter Settings utility, by selecting the option not to segment at newlines in XLS. My original question stands, though by now I am guessing that once the TTX is created, there is no way to avoid this, except for expanding segments manually.

Sometimes just asking questions to people help to solve them even when no answer is provided But feel free to add to this.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Getting br tags to be treated as internal in TTX

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »