Hester Eymers  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 10:34
Member (2005)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Dec 5, 2014

Dear colleagues,

In the past I have been using the SDLX component in the SDL Trados 2006 package. The terminology databases I made, refuse to be imported in SDL Trados Studio 2011.

When I try to open a .mdb file, the program warns me that "This termbase has been created with an older version of Multiterm and needs to be updated. This can take several minutes. Continue opening termbase?"

When I click "Yes", I get the message: "There was a problem the termbas
... See more
Dear colleagues,

In the past I have been using the SDLX component in the SDL Trados 2006 package. The terminology databases I made, refuse to be imported in SDL Trados Studio 2011.

When I try to open a .mdb file, the program warns me that "This termbase has been created with an older version of Multiterm and needs to be updated. This can take several minutes. Continue opening termbase?"

When I click "Yes", I get the message: "There was a problem the termbase at C:\Users/xxx.mdb. Check that this is a valid termbase and that you have permission to access it. Continue opening termbase?"

When I again click "Yes", nothing happens.

As the installation of SDL Trados Studio 2011 was incompatible with SDL Trados 2006, I had to remove the latter program from my computer. Maybe that's why I get a message suggesting I might not have permission to open this old termbase.

Does anyone know how I can solve this problem?

Thanks very much in advance!
Collapse

MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
Did you use MultiTerm Convert? Dec 5, 2014

Hi Hester,
In order to be imported well into MutltiTerm, a compatible file must first be handled by MultiTerm Convert, part of the MultiTerm package.

Try re-export the termbase from SDLX (there are several formats for the export, but it should be one that Convert can read, if you have the choice: don't chose tab-exported text), then treat it with Convert of MultiTerm 2011 prior of importing with MultiTerm 2011.

I hope this helps,
Mike

Hester Eymers
Netherlands
Member (2005)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Can't re-export from SDLX Dec 5, 2014

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your answer. To run Studio 2011 I had to remove SDL Trados 2006 from my computer, so I can't use SDLX to re-export the file. The only file I have is in .mdb format, which Convert can't read it seems.

I do hope there is a way around this?

Best regards,
Hester

MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
Did you use the dedicated SDLX termbase or MultiTerm 2006 ? Dec 5, 2014

MultiTerm 2011 should read older MultiTerm versions, but anyhow: maybe Paul Filkin from SDL is so kind to answer here, I think that in the extreme you could drop him the file so he does the conversion.

Mike

[ADD]

I have SDLX installed on a older XP-Laptop. If the file you have comes directly from the SDLX in-built termbase, I think I could re-export and send it to you. Please drop me a mail in my proz-user account MikeTrans.

Mike

[Edited
... See more
MultiTerm 2011 should read older MultiTerm versions, but anyhow: maybe Paul Filkin from SDL is so kind to answer here, I think that in the extreme you could drop him the file so he does the conversion.

Mike

[ADD]

I have SDLX installed on a older XP-Laptop. If the file you have comes directly from the SDLX in-built termbase, I think I could re-export and send it to you. Please drop me a mail in my proz-user account MikeTrans.

Mike

[Edited at 2014-12-05 20:45 GMT]
Collapse

MikeTrans
MikeTrans
Germany
Italian to German
+ ...
Here is one thing you can try if you have... Dec 5, 2014

... if you have MS-Access installed on your system:

Make a COPY of your .mdb and name it xxxxxx_NEW.mdb

Open the new .mdb with MS-Access.

Menu Extra > Datenbank-Dienstprogramme (6th selection) > Repair database

Save the changes and quit.

Try to import into MT 2011 again.

Mike

[Edited at 2014-12-05 21:02 GMT]

Hester Eymers
Netherlands
Member (2005)
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Problem solved - thanks for the advice! Dec 6, 2014

Hi Mike,

Thank you again for your advice and for your very friendly offer to re-export the file for me.

I've been experimenting with an old laptop, installing SDLX from SDL Trados 2006 again, and then re-exporting the file. When trying to convert this file with MultiTerm Convert, I found I could convert files in .tdb format (former SDLX terminology files).

I wrote about .mdb, as that's what Studio 2011 seemed to recognize as a terminology file, but those
... See more
Hi Mike,

Thank you again for your advice and for your very friendly offer to re-export the file for me.

I've been experimenting with an old laptop, installing SDLX from SDL Trados 2006 again, and then re-exporting the file. When trying to convert this file with MultiTerm Convert, I found I could convert files in .tdb format (former SDLX terminology files).

I wrote about .mdb, as that's what Studio 2011 seemed to recognize as a terminology file, but those are the TM's, which I already managed to convert. Even Studio gets confused every now and then, it seems...

So, it took me half a day, but I've finally managed to import the terminology database I needed.

Thanks again for your help, which guided me in the right direction to be able to solve this puzzle.

Cheers,
Hester
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Importing .mdb files in Studio 2011 fails

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »