Joseann Freyer-Lindner
Joseann Freyer-Lindner  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:08
Member (2014)
English to German
+ ...
Dec 30, 2015

Hello, I am a beginner with Trados (2015) and I struggle with tags. I have found how to copy them from source text into target text, but it seems, there are different ways how to do this and each has different consequences.
Right now I have (inline and place holder) tags in my target text that have little tiny, orange "lock-symbols" at the front and end, and those that don't. If I use the command STRG+, and choose a tag from the proposed list, I get the "lock-symbols", the tag symbol and t
... See more
Hello, I am a beginner with Trados (2015) and I struggle with tags. I have found how to copy them from source text into target text, but it seems, there are different ways how to do this and each has different consequences.
Right now I have (inline and place holder) tags in my target text that have little tiny, orange "lock-symbols" at the front and end, and those that don't. If I use the command STRG+, and choose a tag from the proposed list, I get the "lock-symbols", the tag symbol and the enclosed text, if I use the STRG+mouseclick, I copy only the tags, but not the text they include.
But both tags are locked. So I can't actually delete those tags without a lock (that should have a lock as well) and replace them with the correct tag with locks. They are both protected and cannot be changed, which is a problem, as some of them should have locks, but don't. I found in the menu under options the possibility to "protect tags" (in general) and I should be able to just change this setting, but for some reason I can't.

Also, if I choose the STRG+, command and copy the complete tag including text, I cannot work in the segment anymore, as the cursor jumps into the tag, whenever I start typing behind the tag, and tells me then that "protected tag area cannot be changed". I have now started to translate the whole segment first and copy the tags at the very end, but whenever there is a mistake, it's difficult to change.

So: how can I delete tags in the target text that I have copied wrongly and replace them with the correct tag version from source text?
How can I work in a segment after having copied a tag via STRG+, command and selection from tag list?

Any help would be highly appreciated, thank you in advance.

Kind regards
Joseann

[Edited at 2015-12-30 20:41 GMT]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Tag types in SDL, deleting/modifying tags

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »