Compare PDF softwares
Thread poster: Lais Lewicki

Lais Lewicki
Brazil
Local time: 00:31
English to Portuguese
Jul 13

Hi!

I often get asked to translate updated versions of contracts and agreements, so I need a good tool to compare PDFs without needing to convert them to word files first.

I know that Workshare Compare does that beautifully, but it does not count how many new words there are in the document.

Does anyone know a PDF comparison tool that does so?

Counting the new words in a document faster would help me give my clients an accurate quotation on the work. As I would only have to translate those words.

Thanks in advance!

Lais


 

Andriy Yasharov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 06:31
Member (2008)
English to Russian
+ ...
ABBYY Comparator Jul 13

Hi,

I have not tried ABBYY Comparator yet but they say: "Fast, accurate and automatic, Comparator identifies and alerts you to any relevant changes in text — even if comparing two versions of the same document across different file formats".

You can check it out at www.abbyy.com/en-us/comparator


 

VIP9N
Local time: 06:31
Russian to English
+ ...
Workshare Compare first, and then delete irrelevant Jul 16

Lais Lewicki wrote:
...
I know that Workshare Compare does that beautifully, but it does not count how many new words there are in the document...
Lais


Hi Lais,

I use Workshare Compare for these purposes. And compare what it can compare, not only pdfs.
When the comparison is completed, I simply save it as a Word-file. Then I open it in Word, go to Find & Replace and start deleting "unnecessary" fonts, i.e. black (unchanged text), red (deleted text) and green (relocated text, RGB 0, 192, 0). I choose the required font colour and replace it with nothing.

As a result, I have pages of dark blue colour text (a new or added text), which I then count and tell the client an approximate number of text to translate.

This method is rather accurate, but not over-precise. For example, Word does not delete black footnotes, but usually the number of their characters either too insignificant, or you can remove them manually.

This is how I do it.

Good luck.


 

Lais Lewicki
Brazil
Local time: 00:31
English to Portuguese
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for the tip Jul 18

Andriy Yasharov wrote:

Hi,

I have not tried ABBYY Comparator yet but they say: "Fast, accurate and automatic, Comparator identifies and alerts you to any relevant changes in text — even if comparing two versions of the same document across different file formats".

You can check it out at www.abbyy.com/en-us/comparator


Thanks for the tip! I will try Abbyy's software!


 

Lais Lewicki
Brazil
Local time: 00:31
English to Portuguese
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Jul 18

VIP9N wrote:

Lais Lewicki wrote:
...
I know that Workshare Compare does that beautifully, but it does not count how many new words there are in the document...
Lais


Hi Lais,

I use Workshare Compare for these purposes. And compare what it can compare, not only pdfs.
When the comparison is completed, I simply save it as a Word-file. Then I open it in Word, go to Find & Replace and start deleting "unnecessary" fonts, i.e. black (unchanged text), red (deleted text) and green (relocated text, RGB 0, 192, 0). I choose the required font colour and replace it with nothing.

As a result, I have pages of dark blue colour text (a new or added text), which I then count and tell the client an approximate number of text to translate.

This method is rather accurate, but not over-precise. For example, Word does not delete black footnotes, but usually the number of their characters either too insignificant, or you can remove them manually.

This is how I do it.

Good luck.


Thanks! I will try your method, unless there's another software that does this in the market, this seems like the quickest and easiest way!


 

Lais Lewicki
Brazil
Local time: 00:31
English to Portuguese
TOPIC STARTER
Abbyy Comparator not available in my region Jul 18

Andriy Yasharov wrote:

Hi,

I have not tried ABBYY Comparator yet but they say: "Fast, accurate and automatic, Comparator identifies and alerts you to any relevant changes in text — even if comparing two versions of the same document across different file formats".

You can check it out at www.abbyy.com/en-us/comparator


So, Abbyy Comparator is not available in my region (Brazil). Thanks for the tip anyway!


 


To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:


You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Compare PDF softwares

Advanced search






SDL MultiTerm 2019
Guarantee a unified, consistent and high-quality translation with terminology software by the industry leaders.

SDL MultiTerm 2019 allows translators to create one central location to store and manage multilingual terminology, and with SDL MultiTerm Extract 2019 you can automatically create term lists from your existing documentation to save time.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »



Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search