Avoiding excess temp files
Thread poster: IanW (X)

IanW (X)
Local time: 09:11
German to English
+ ...
Apr 1, 2004

Dear all,

I've recently noticed that I get a build-up of about thirty or forty temp files even on relatively short translations. These are presumably due to my tendency to press Control-S (save) every two minutes or so, and the temp files disappear as soon as I close the file, but I still find it very irritating.

Can anyone tell me if I can change the settings on my computer to avoid or minimise this?

Many thanks

Ian

Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Word- Options - Save Apr 1, 2004

Hi Ian

Maybe this is what you mean. Here you can choose to mark and unmark options such as backup copies and AutoRecover.

HTH:-)

Ailish

Brandis (X)
English to German
+ ...
set autosave function May 9, 2004

Ian Winick wrote:

Dear all,

I've recently noticed that I get a build-up of about thirty or forty temp files even on relatively short translations. These are presumably due to my tendency to press Control-S (save) every two minutes or so, and the temp files disappear as soon as I close the file, but I still find it very irritating.

Can anyone tell me if I can change the settings on my computer to avoid or minimise this?

Many thanks

Ian
Hi! you can set your Autosave function at 2 min in word, and you do not need to press Crtl + S to save.This way you do not generate multiple Backup files ( temp files but only one, which will perpetually be overwritten every 2 min. That helps - brandis

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Avoiding excess temp files

Advanced search

BaccS – Business Accounting Software
Modern desktop project management for freelance translators

BaccS makes it easy for translators to manage their projects, schedule tasks, create invoices, and view highly customizable reports. User-friendly, ProZ.com integration, community-driven development – a few reasons BaccS is trusted by translators!

More info »
PerfectIt consistency checker
Faster Checking, Greater Accuracy

PerfectIt helps deliver error-free documents. It improves consistency, ensures quality and helps to enforce style guides. It’s a powerful tool for pro users, and comes with the assurance of a 30-day money back guarantee.

More info »

Forums
  • All of ProZ.com
  • Term search
  • Jobs
  • Forums
  • Multiple search