https://www.proz.com/forum/wordfast_support/133636-creating_a_two_column_version_of_an_un_cleaned_up_translation.html

Creating a two-column version of an un-cleaned up translation
Thread poster: Comunican
Comunican
Comunican
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:57
Spanish to English
+ ...
Apr 26, 2009

Does anyone know how to create a two-column version of a document that is being worked on?
The reason I am interested is so that I can send it to a colleague to proof-read. They don't know (nor want to know) how to use Wordfast. The idea would be that they would make changes / comments, which I could then copy into my working version of the translation before cleaning it up...
Thanks for any help!
C

Lori Cirefice
Lori Cirefice  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 18:57
French to English
Low-tech suggestion Apr 26, 2009

Save a copy of your bilingual file. Clean up the copy.

Now, start an alignment file using (a copy of) the source file and this clean file to create the two-column version for editing.

Incorporate the changes into the original bilingual file (the most tedious part).

Jing Nie
Jing Nie
China
Local time: 00:57
Member (2011)
English to Chinese
+ ...
You may use a WORD file complied by Arkady Vysotsky Apr 26, 2009

This word file includes Macros that can deal with your problem audomatically.
You may download it at www.textnart.de/downloads/PlusToyz.doc

[修改时间: 2009-04-26 14:54 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Sure... Apr 26, 2009

Comunican wrote:
Does anyone know how to create a two-column version of a document that is being worked on?

Sure. There are two ways, but the easiest would probably be this: create a new TM, then do a cleanup of your file using that TM (first save a copy of your file!). The TM will then contain only the stuff from the document. Open the TM in MS Word, and convert the entire thing to a table (Tools... Table... Convert). Now remove unnecessary columns. When you get the thing back, use PlusTools' aligner to recreate the TM. Tell your colleague to use Track Changes so that you can spot check if your method works.

Vito Smolej
Vito Smolej
Germany
Member (2004)
English to Slovenian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
There's at least three ways actually .... Apr 26, 2009

Samuel Murray wrote:
...There are two ways, but the easiest would probably be this: create a new TM, then do a cleanup of your file using that TM (first save a copy of your file!). The TM will then contain only the stuff from the document. Open the TM in MS Word, and convert the entire thing to a table (Tools... Table... Convert). Now remove unnecessary columns. When you get the thing back, use PlusTools' aligner to recreate the TM. Tell your colleague to use Track Changes so that you can spot check if your method works.

... and as for me #1 would be PlusToyz (as already suggested above). You will be done in the time it takes to do the first sentence in the suggestions by Samuel.

Warning: PlusToyz uses Word.

Factoid: I am proud to see (my) www.textnart.de/downloads to be of some real use. The original site on America Online or something similarly ancient just disappeared but PlusToyz can be found in all kinds of places - just google for it.

It's a good piece of software - a collection of very useful small programs.

PS: if you want to get deeper in the subject of the lexical analysis of all kind of files, try Tortoise Tagger: http://www.accurussian.net/tagger.htm

[Edited at 2009-04-26 18:01 GMT]

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Use what you know best Apr 26, 2009

Vito Smolej wrote:
... and as for me #1 would be PlusToyz (as already suggested above). You will be done in the time it takes to do the first sentence in the suggestions by Samuel.

I just tried version 0.36. No cigar. I guess I'm missing some kind of setting somewhere.

Kevin Lossner
Kevin Lossner  Identity Verified
Portugal
German to English
+ ...
Try loading it in the free (unlicensed) version of MemoQ Apr 26, 2009

Take a look at the instructions for editing uncleaned Trados jobs on DVX on the "How To" tab of my profile. There are instructions there for searching and replacing the No match segments so that the values aren't zero; after that if you import the file into DVX or MemoQ all the target segments will be visible. To do this with DVX you need a license, but it works beautifully with the free version of MemoQ.

Comunican
Comunican
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks for suggestions Jul 17, 2009

Thanks to everyone for your suggestions.
It appears that there is no easy or automatic way of doing this; just rather cumbersome and detailed steps and procedures to go through..
But thanks anyway!

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
No automatic way, no. Jul 17, 2009

Comunican wrote:
It appears that there is no easy or automatic way of doing this; just rather cumbersome and detailed steps and procedures to go through.

Yes, but the steps are easy to do if you understand them. Here's the other way I didn't tell you about:

1. Select all (Ctrl+A) and then press Shift+Ctrl+Z (remove all formatting)
OR:
1. Select all (Ctrl+A) and then go Format > Font > tick Hidden and untick Hidden again.

2. Find: ( \ < } ) ( [ 0 - 9 ] @ ) ( { \ > )
Replace: ^t
Wildcards: enabled
(no spaces in the "Find" box)

3. Find: { 0 >
Replace: nothing

4. Find: < 0 }
Replace: nothing

5. Select all (Ctrl+A) and then go Table > Convert > Text to Table

Oliver Walter
Oliver Walter  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
Don't open directly with Word! Jul 17, 2009

Jing Nie wrote:
This word file includes Macros that can deal with your problem audomatically.
You may download it at www.textnart.de/downloads/PlusToyz.doc

Thanks for that information. Warnings: If you click this you may find the file name in the address field of your browser ends ".docbrbr" and you will need to remove the "brbr". Second: Word (at least Word 2000) does nothing if you open this document and click Save or Save As. Therefore, when you go to the link to download, take it as a download to your computer, don't open it with Word as you'll then not be able to save it. (I assume this non-savability is due to the content of the macros in the document.)

Oliver

euge bellini
euge bellini  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 13:57
Member (2009)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Plustoyz Aug 17, 2009

Hi!
I came across this thread because I received some uncleaned files for edition in ttx and I use Wordfast.
The thing is that I can´t make Plustoyz work. I tried with the 0.42 version, then 0.36, but none will work, even though I enabled the macro settings...
Does anyone know what the problem is?

Or another try: is there any other way to do this, without plustoyz?

Thank you all!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Creating a two-column version of an un-cleaned up translation

Translation news related to Wordfast

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »