Member since Dec '05
German to English
French to English
| ||September 2017 || |
| || || || || ||1||2|
| Freelancer, Verified member |
| This person has a SecurePRO™ card. Because this person is not a ProZ.com Plus subscriber, to view his or her SecurePRO™ card you must be a ProZ.com Business member or Plus subscriber. |
|Computers: Software||Electronics / Elect Eng|
|Also works in:|
|Physics||Mechanics / Mech Engineering|
|IT (Information Technology)||Internet, e-Commerce|
|Telecom(munications)||Mathematics & Statistics|
|Engineering: Industrial||Military / Defense|
|Aerospace / Aviation / Space||Automation & Robotics|
|Computers (general)||Computers: Hardware|
|Computers: Systems, Networks||Energy / Power Generation|
| PRO-level points: 1040, Questions answered: 620, Questions asked: 70 |
|Master's degree - Imperial College, London|
|Years of translation experience: 6. Registered at ProZ.com: Feb 2004. Became a member: Dec 2005.|
|French to English (Imperial College London (Univ. of London), verified)|
German to English (Imperial College London (Univ. of London), verified)
|Translators in London|
|Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Word, PaintShop Pro (5), Powerpoint, Wordfast|
| Oliver Walter endorses ProZ.com's Professional Guidelines (v1.0). |
: British English, because England is where I was born, grew up and went to school and university (all of them English-speaking environments).
include university degrees in engineering
: electrical engineering (bachelor: BSc), control engineering (MSc and doctorate: PhD), and technical translation
: (master: MSc).
- I am working part-time as a freelance translator from German and French into English. I am sometimes available for up to 2000 words per week, and occasionally more than that. I sometimes have no translation work for several days, or even 2-3 weeks, a situation with which I am happy. Note that when I am not working on a translation my computer is often switched off, so I often do not reply to emails within a few minutes.
- Spontaneous comments from clients:
"I think you are a good technical translator." (client in Italy, January 2008)
"Wie immer liest es sich jetzt besser als im Original." (As usual, it now reads better than in the original. Client in Germany, February 2008)
- Until early in 2011 I was employed (full-time before 2001, then part-time) as a systems engineer in radar and electronics (and have now retired from that employment). I was employed as an engineer for many years, mainly programming and running real-time simulation models of systems involving servos, aerodynamics and radar.
- I took the new MSc course in technical translation at Imperial College (London) in 2001-2.
- Between 2002 and 2008 I translated for my employer nearly 1 million words from French, German and Italian (working 2 days per week, sometimes 3). These documents were mostly technical requirements, specifications, descriptions, test reports and comments in software source code.
- As a freelancer I translated, for example, about 233,000 words (from German and French, mainly German) in the period January 2013 to October 2016.
- I have a good general understanding of science, mathematics and engineering, and in particular electrical engineering, computers and software. I specified and built a desktop PC for use at home and installed its operating system and application software (but most of my work now uses a laptop PC that is not so old).
- Languages: in addition to my knowledge of German and French, I have a good understanding of Swiss German dialect (Schwyzerdütsch), which could perhaps sometimes be useful.
I do translation work as a self-employed freelancer and I do this only as a part-time activity. I am usually available for up to about 2000 words per week, sometimes more. (This is why I have given a length of "translation experience" less than the calendar time since I started offering translation services.)Translation agencies/companies: Please note
that I am unlikely to be willing to use a CAT (Computer-Aided Translation) software tool developed in-house by you. See this discussion:
|This user has earned KudoZ points by helping other translators with PRO-level terms. Click point total(s) to see term translations provided.|
Keywords: German, French, engineering, radar, electronics, science, mathematics, computing, technical, software, Deutsch, Elektronik, Elektrotechnik, Rechner, Wissenschaft, Mathematik, français, ingénieur, science, mathématiques, électronique, ordinateurs
Profile last updated