Thread poster: Kerstin Roland
Kerstin Roland
Kerstin Roland  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:12
Member (2003)
German to English
Jul 26, 2006

I am working on a document in Word 2000 with double columns, and the client has requested line numbering, but not to the left of each column as would be easy to do with the line numbering feature, but instead only BETWEEN the two columns.

I have researched everywhere, but can't find anything on line numbering only between columns. Does anyone know if this is possible?

Thank you very much in advance for your help.

Robert Zawadzki (X)
Robert Zawadzki (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 18:12
English to Polish
+ ...
If I understood you right... Jul 26, 2006

a solution is at http://www.rz.my.proz.com/NUMBERING.doc

'1' in the first row is normal text, in subsequent rows the numbers are really formulas (the same one everywhere so you can copy it downwards, select and press F9).

Kerstin Roland
United States
Member (2003)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
table vs. column Jul 26, 2006

Thank you very much for your reply, Robert.
The link appears to relate more to tables.
In my case I have columns of continuous text, like newspaper columns, between which the line numbers are supposed to be inserted.

Thank you!
Kerstin

Lars Jelking
Lars Jelking  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 19:12
English to Swedish
+ ...
Third column Jul 26, 2006

Create a third column between the already existing, set the width to a small value and enter the line numbers as you should have entered regular text. Push the text down with ENTER while entering the line numbers as you go.

You may have to experiment a little, but it works.

Good luck!

Kerstin Roland
United States
Member (2003)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
possible solution Jul 26, 2006

Hello Lars,

That may be a possible solution and has crossed my mind too.
I was looking for a way that would not break up the flow of the text, but at least this way I will have the numbers included, and I can always adjust the text or any tag errors it may cause.

I'll definitely give it a try - thank you very much!

Kind regards,
Kerstin

Kerstin Roland
United States
Member (2003)
German to English
TOPIC STARTER
Interim Solution Aug 7, 2006

I ended up combining Lars' suggestion with a text box.
This means that I left the continuous text in the colums intact (for TRADOS purposes), but inserted a text box in the middle between the columns, using the same font and just hitting ENTER in between the numbers.
It worked perfectly.

Thank you for everyone's suggestions!

Kind regards,
Kerstin

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

column line numbering in Word

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »