document name/path not valid - help!
Thread poster: Rose Jenkinson
Rose Jenkinson
Rose Jenkinson  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:49
French to English
+ ...
Mar 18, 2008

Over halfway into a large project, I went to continue working on it today and the Word file would not open - I got the message: Document name or path not valid - check file permissions for document/drive - use file open dialog box to locate the document.

I'm using Word 2003 and the XP operating system, and the file is saved onto a memory stick, so I though there may be a problem with that, but other Word files saved onto it open fine, so it can't be that.
I tried using the fil
... See more
Over halfway into a large project, I went to continue working on it today and the Word file would not open - I got the message: Document name or path not valid - check file permissions for document/drive - use file open dialog box to locate the document.

I'm using Word 2003 and the XP operating system, and the file is saved onto a memory stick, so I though there may be a problem with that, but other Word files saved onto it open fine, so it can't be that.
I tried using the file open dialog box but just got the same message. And after reading similar posts on this forum, I deleted the temporary files from my computer, but no joy.

Does anyone know any solution to this or is the file lost forever? (I really hope not!!) It worked fine yesterday but now something seems to have gone very wrong.

Any help greatly appreciated
Collapse

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:49
Polish to English
+ ...
Windows Explorer Mar 18, 2008

Open Windows Explorer (Manu Start -> Accessories), or click the My Computer icon and locate your stick. It will probably be marked as drive E or some "higher" letter.

Try to locate your lost Word file and open it by double-clicking on the file.
This (hoepfully) looks like you may have inadvertently saved the file elsewhere.

You can also try looking for the file from Windows Explorer:

Click on the Search button, on the left click search for files/ fold
... See more
Open Windows Explorer (Manu Start -> Accessories), or click the My Computer icon and locate your stick. It will probably be marked as drive E or some "higher" letter.

Try to locate your lost Word file and open it by double-clicking on the file.
This (hoepfully) looks like you may have inadvertently saved the file elsewhere.

You can also try looking for the file from Windows Explorer:

Click on the Search button, on the left click search for files/ folders and then type in the file name. From "search in" select "local drive C".

See where you get with that. Try not to save anything on the stick. If the file was erased by mistake, there may be a chance of recovering it with an unerase utility.

HTH
Pawel Skalinski
Collapse

Rose Jenkinson
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks for the speedy reply... Mar 18, 2008

but my problem is not locating the file, it's opening it.
I tried to do the file search you suggested anyway, in case somehow an openable file had been saved elsewhere, but it hasn't.
Thanks anyway for trying to help, I guess we'll have to see if anyone comes up with any more ideas.

Albert Golub
Albert Golub  Identity Verified
English to French
maybe Mar 18, 2008

make a copy of the file giving it a different name
and if you have a Word-PDF converter
convert in a PDF file
to see if your work was saved
then download the file again (maybe changing its name or in a different place - hard disk of your computer)
an insert the part you already translated in the new file
hope it can help

note : i have a converter, so I can try to do it for you if you send me the fi
... See more
make a copy of the file giving it a different name
and if you have a Word-PDF converter
convert in a PDF file
to see if your work was saved
then download the file again (maybe changing its name or in a different place - hard disk of your computer)
an insert the part you already translated in the new file
hope it can help

note : i have a converter, so I can try to do it for you if you send me the file

[email protected]

[Edited at 2008-03-18 11:44]
Collapse

hazmatgerman (X)
hazmatgerman (X)
English to German
open with editor Mar 18, 2008

Dear Asker,
try to open the located file with the Editor that is part of the operating system. It is located in Start - programs - (accessories -) editor. The editor does not care too much about file suffixes and may be able to open at least a txt-version. This can then be saved differently named and opened from Word. Alternatively try to open it using Open Office.
Good Luck.

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
Opening Mar 18, 2008

But have you tried opening the file by clicking on it in Windows Explorer?
Maybe you renamed it, changed the extension inadvertently?

If you can send me the file, I can see what I can do.

pawiwo AT yahoo DOT com

Pawel Skalinski

Rose Jenkinson
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks!! Mar 18, 2008

Thank you all so much for your generous offers of help - it is really appreciated.
I tried the search facility and it found the file, but again, I got the same error message so was unable to open it.

Thanks for the suggestion Albert, but I don't have a PDF converter (maybe after this fiasco it's time to invest in one!)

In the end I got someone to convert it for me, so now the Trados tags are all a bit wrong, but I guess I'll save that for another thread.... : )... See more
Thank you all so much for your generous offers of help - it is really appreciated.
I tried the search facility and it found the file, but again, I got the same error message so was unable to open it.

Thanks for the suggestion Albert, but I don't have a PDF converter (maybe after this fiasco it's time to invest in one!)

In the end I got someone to convert it for me, so now the Trados tags are all a bit wrong, but I guess I'll save that for another thread.... : )

Many thanks!!

Rose
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

document name/path not valid - help!

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »