Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: If not otherwise specified, what's your personal definition of “urgent"?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Michael GREEN
Michael GREEN  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 13:04
English to French
How do you prioritize if "urgent" is not specified ?! Nov 29, 2007

I'm not sure that the translator's personal definition of "urgent" has much relevance.

Unless it IS specified (preferably by the client) "urgent" is meaningless.
If the client says "this is urgent" I expect him to tell me when he wants it, and I will tell him if that is achievable.

My jobs HAVE to be prioritized, or how else can I plan my work ?

This means prioritizing my work according to my clients' requirements ..... but "not urgent" doesn't necess
... See more
I'm not sure that the translator's personal definition of "urgent" has much relevance.

Unless it IS specified (preferably by the client) "urgent" is meaningless.
If the client says "this is urgent" I expect him to tell me when he wants it, and I will tell him if that is achievable.

My jobs HAVE to be prioritized, or how else can I plan my work ?

This means prioritizing my work according to my clients' requirements ..... but "not urgent" doesn't necessarily mean "when I have time" ....there is always a due date !

Phrases like "This is urgent", "I'm sending you a big file", etc etc all produce the same response from me :

"What do you mean by ...?"

Collapse

Astrid Elke Witte
Astrid Elke Witte  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2002)
German to English
+ ...
I'll tell you how you prioritise... Nov 29, 2007

This is how you prioritise, Michael:

The urgent jobs, which have a habit of coming in from all directions within the same hour on the same day, are done in this order:

1) The urgent job for the agency which is with the same bank as me, and if I send the translation and then go into my bank account online the money is already there! It is my favourite way of a translation being acknowledged.

2) The urgent job for the customer who sends the invoice to the acc
... See more

The urgent jobs, which have a habit of coming in from all directions within the same hour on the same day, are done in this order:

1) The urgent job for the agency which is with the same bank as me, and if I send the translation and then go into my bank account online the money is already there! It is my favourite way of a translation being acknowledged.

2) The urgent job for the customer who sends the invoice to the accounting department directly upon receipt of the translation, and I find the money in my bank account a few days later.

3) The urgent job for the customer who pays in about a week.

4) The urgent job for the customer who pays in about a fortnight.

5) The urgent job for the customer who sticks to the 30-day payment deadline.

6) The urgent job for the customer who pays about a week after the 30-day payment deadline.

As for those who pay later than that, I do not accept the assignments in the first place, no matter how urgent they say they are.

Astrid
Collapse

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 12:04
Dutch to English
+ ...
Now that's what I call prioritising Nov 29, 2007

Astrid Elke Johnson wrote:

2) The urgent job for the customer who sends the invoice to the accounting department directly upon receipt of the translation, and I find the money in my bank account a few days later.

3) The urgent job for the customer who pays in about a week.

4) The urgent job for the customer who pays in about a fortnight.

5) The urgent job for the customer who sticks to the 30-day payment deadline.

6) The urgent job for the customer who pays about a week after the 30-day payment deadline.

As for those who pay later than that, I do not accept the assignments in the first place, no matter how urgent they say they are.

Astrid

Nice one Astrid

Those no. 6 guys just don't make it into the "inner circle", do they?

Have a good day
Debs

Kemal Mustajbegovic
Kemal Mustajbegovic  Identity Verified
Local time: 19:04
English to Croatian
+ ...
a.s.a.p. Nov 29, 2007

"Urgent" job has to be done as soon as possible. There are a lot of aspects that should be taken into consideration - client, volume, rate, previous commitments, mood, weather forecast... Not necessary in that order

In my book, there are no "urgent" jobs. There are only jobs that need to be done until ... And when the blanks are filled I either accept the job or not.

What is "urgency"? It's all relative.
... See more
"Urgent" job has to be done as soon as possible. There are a lot of aspects that should be taken into consideration - client, volume, rate, previous commitments, mood, weather forecast... Not necessary in that order

In my book, there are no "urgent" jobs. There are only jobs that need to be done until ... And when the blanks are filled I either accept the job or not.

What is "urgency"? It's all relative. "No toilet is too far if you start walking in the right direction on time.

Cheers!
Collapse

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Italian to English
+ ...
Exactly! Nov 29, 2007

Terry Richards wrote:

If it's urgent, it has a deadline agreed with the customer. If it doesn't, it isn't

"Urgent" requires a specified deadline, in my book.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: If not otherwise specified, what's your personal definition of “urgent"?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »