Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:05
English to Arabic
+ ...
Ha! Mar 14, 2008

Philippe Etienne wrote:
Although being about as creative as boiled clam, I find your artwork réussi.

Thank you Philippe and Chris.
Of course I didn't mean to say that playing around with Microsoft Picture Manager makes me an awfully creative person (even my 8 year old daughter can do that), but that the picture may give the impression that I'm a creative person... which I'm not REALLY I think.
I always tell myself if I was truly creative I would have become a writer or a journalist, but I chose a profession which relies on the creativity of others. But I guess that goes for most of us.

PS: BTW, I'm sure the first person to think of putting a clam in boiling water must have been quite creative in his own way!

[Edited at 2008-03-14 22:08]

Hilary Davies Shelby
Hilary Davies Shelby
United States
Local time: 08:05
German to English
+ ...
Jumping on the arty bandwagon - and thank you! Mar 14, 2008

I always thought you seemed really arty, too, Nesrin - I like your profile pic a lot.

@Chris: I don't usually look that "glam" - a lot of my posting is done wearing a tracksuit and glasses! Why do you think I picked THAT picture?))

I'm so pleased so many people posted so much! I've read every single reply to this poll and I feel that I've learned a little bit more about some of the people I "see" a lot (th
... See more
I always thought you seemed really arty, too, Nesrin - I like your profile pic a lot.

@Chris: I don't usually look that "glam" - a lot of my posting is done wearing a tracksuit and glasses! Why do you think I picked THAT picture?))

I'm so pleased so many people posted so much! I've read every single reply to this poll and I feel that I've learned a little bit more about some of the people I "see" a lot (that LittleBalu's bear is wearing a blue membership ribbon (never noticed that before!;-)) and where Jack's cap went!) I've also "met" some new people I hadn't before. So thank you, everyone, for revealing a little bit more of yourselves on here - it's been a really interesting discussion!

[Edited at 2008-03-14 23:56]
Collapse

msidarus
msidarus
Portugal
English to Portuguese
+ ...
me by myself photo Mar 27, 2008

I call this picture: me by myself. Since I made it, I've been using it for my CV (in the original coloured version) and for website profiles like hi5 or ProZ. Originally I intended to portray me as somewhat professional, because my main goal was to use it for my CV. This was quite difficult because I’m also not very photogenic – I can’t keep my eyes open when I smile
Anyway I like this photo so much that I’ve been giv
... See more
I call this picture: me by myself. Since I made it, I've been using it for my CV (in the original coloured version) and for website profiles like hi5 or ProZ. Originally I intended to portray me as somewhat professional, because my main goal was to use it for my CV. This was quite difficult because I’m also not very photogenic – I can’t keep my eyes open when I smile
Anyway I like this photo so much that I’ve been giving it several different looks, by cutting and using filters, and thus using it for different purposes.
I would appreciate any comments about it, because I’m afraid it just looks cute and not professional at all.

Thank you,
Muna
Collapse

JaneTranslates
JaneTranslates  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 09:05
Spanish to English
+ ...
Not "cute" at all! Mar 27, 2008

msidarus wrote:

I would appreciate any comments about it, because I’m afraid it just looks cute and not professional at all.

Thank you,
Muna

It's lovely.

And perfectly appropriate.

Jane

Nesrin
Nesrin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Arabic
+ ...
Like a 19th century photograph... Mar 27, 2008

msidarus wrote:

Anyway I like this photo so much that I’ve been giving it several different looks, by cutting and using filters, and thus using it for different purposes.

Thank you,
Muna

..not just the colours, but the pose and the look as well. And a hint of Frida Kahlo too I think (http://www.biografiasyvidas.com/biografia/k/fotos/kahlo_2.jpg )
Very nice!

Stephen Gobin
Stephen Gobin
United Kingdom
German to English
+ ...
19th century French Poet Apr 4, 2008

I've just come across this thread.

Sorting out my photograph was actually a really difficult job. I had considered using a professional photographer but eventually used the services of a friend who has been an artist for some fifty years. It took almost a whole Sunday in November to come up with this photograph. My friend doesn't like using flash because of the problem of shadows and so we spent the day in his studio with me sitting on a stool near a sun-filled window while he took
... See more
I've just come across this thread.

Sorting out my photograph was actually a really difficult job. I had considered using a professional photographer but eventually used the services of a friend who has been an artist for some fifty years. It took almost a whole Sunday in November to come up with this photograph. My friend doesn't like using flash because of the problem of shadows and so we spent the day in his studio with me sitting on a stool near a sun-filled window while he took lots of pictures. My friend wanted to add some texture to the image but without distracting the eye of the viewer - hence the grey embroidered blanket, which was draped over an easel. I also felt that I really had to do something with my hands/arms instead of just sitting there for a head and shoulders shot.

This picture is one that we finally selected. It was converted into B&W with a grainy effect. My friend said: "It is definitely you. You look like a 19th century French poet." He is right. I've got photos taken on other occasions where my hands and arms are in some kind of pose.

[Edited at 2008-04-04 19:50]
Collapse

Elodie Bonnafous
Elodie Bonnafous
France
Local time: 15:05
Member (2009)
German to French
+ ...
No photo Apr 12, 2008

I look too young, and it clearly is a disadvantage when it's about business.

Anyway, I'm selling my translating services and I personnaly don't care how my clients and colleagues look like.

I always find photos with animals or children or wedding photos on PROZ are on the wrong place: it is a professionnal webpage, and if I ever showed a photo of me, I definitely would look professional, and would never show my children, pets, husband nor would I show any photo in a sho
... See more
I look too young, and it clearly is a disadvantage when it's about business.

Anyway, I'm selling my translating services and I personnaly don't care how my clients and colleagues look like.

I always find photos with animals or children or wedding photos on PROZ are on the wrong place: it is a professionnal webpage, and if I ever showed a photo of me, I definitely would look professional, and would never show my children, pets, husband nor would I show any photo in a short skirt or with many jewels.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Your profile photo portrays you as:

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »