Lawyer-Linguist positions at the EPSO (Greek & Spanish)
Thread poster: Parrot
Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 05:41
Spanish to English
+ ...
Jun 12, 2008

This is breaking news, and, sorry to say, you won't find it on localised EPSO pages in either Greek or Spanish. Positions are open for lawyers with Spanish or Greek as a main language, and the deadline is, like, next to now.

http://europa.eu/epso/on-line-applications/open_competitions_en.htm

AAARRGH! Acronyms -- that's European Personnel Select
... See more
This is breaking news, and, sorry to say, you won't find it on localised EPSO pages in either Greek or Spanish. Positions are open for lawyers with Spanish or Greek as a main language, and the deadline is, like, next to now.

http://europa.eu/epso/on-line-applications/open_competitions_en.htm

AAARRGH! Acronyms -- that's European Personnel Selection Office.

[Edited at 2008-06-12 00:57]
Collapse

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 04:41
Flemish to English
+ ...
Not for linguists Jun 12, 2008

Only for people with a degree in law from a Greek or Spanish university.

Parrot
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That's how the Court of Justice works Jun 12, 2008

(Court of Justice translators are generally jurists first and do not need a translation degree).

[Edited at 2008-06-12 12:23]

Gennady Lapardin
Gennady Lapardin  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 06:41
Italian to Russian
+ ...
They want to have double mistakes Jun 12, 2008

Legal mistakes plus (or better, over) linguistic mistakes. Can a single high-paid person afford to be legally responsible for both?

Parrot
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Uhm... Jun 12, 2008

I'd have to read the job description more extensively. But some positions really ask for legal experts (jurists) because of the harmonisation work involved. If you look over the translated sentences of the European Court, you'll understand this. A friend of mine prepared the exams, and although she held the equivalent of a JD and spoke three languages, she still had cold feet...

However, as I said, I'm not sure it's the same position. Anyway, it's posted here for interested parties.

Gennady Lapardin
Russian Federation
Italian to Russian
+ ...
... Jun 12, 2008

That's exactly what I say, that they are looking for highly experienced follow-up legal translators, not lawyer-linguists as they wrote. The term seems to me not quite correct.

'A lawyer fluent in a foreign language' is another twin of that series. There are lawyers specialized in a specific law of a specific country or region or international subject, and there are translators (which may be additionally graduate in law as well) specialized in specific languages and subjects.
... See more
That's exactly what I say, that they are looking for highly experienced follow-up legal translators, not lawyer-linguists as they wrote. The term seems to me not quite correct.

'A lawyer fluent in a foreign language' is another twin of that series. There are lawyers specialized in a specific law of a specific country or region or international subject, and there are translators (which may be additionally graduate in law as well) specialized in specific languages and subjects.
Thanks

[Edited at 2008-06-12 12:24]
Collapse

Kunik
Kunik  Identity Verified
English to Latvian
+ ...
Lawyer linguists do not translate... Jun 12, 2008

They check and harmonise the translations done by translators from a legal viewpoint.

Gennady Lapardin
Russian Federation
Italian to Russian
+ ...
The requirements Jun 12, 2008

Lawyer-linguists having X as main language — 'Court of Justice'
Duties

Translating legal texts (judgments of the Court of Justice, Court of First Instance and Civil Service Tribunal, opinions of the Advocates-General, written pleadings of the parties, etc.) into X from at least two of the other official languages of the European Union and revising such texts; providing legal analysis in cooperation with the Registries and the other departments of the Court of Justice. <
... See more
Lawyer-linguists having X as main language — 'Court of Justice'
Duties

Translating legal texts (judgments of the Court of Justice, Court of First Instance and Civil Service Tribunal, opinions of the Advocates-General, written pleadings of the parties, etc.) into X from at least two of the other official languages of the European Union and revising such texts; providing legal analysis in cooperation with the Registries and the other departments of the Court of Justice.

1. Certificates and diplomas

...level of education which corresponds to completed university studies of at least four years attested by a diploma in X law.

2. Professional experience

No professional experience is required. (If the diploma is in law, then 'professional' should stand for 'legal', imho)

3. Knowledge of language

You must satisfy the following conditions:

(a) have a perfect command of X (language 1);

(b) have a thorough knowledge of Y (language 2);

You can see that the job is exclusively linguistic.
...legal analysis in cooperation with the Registries and the other departments - more of a phisycal exercise, I guess

[Edited at 2008-06-12 21:55]

[Edited at 2008-06-12 23:36]
Collapse

Kunik
Kunik  Identity Verified
English to Latvian
+ ...
Correction Jun 12, 2008

I agree that the lawyer linguists in the ECJ actually translate, while the lawyer linguists in other institutions like EC, the Parliament and the Council normally do not translate but only revise and check the documents already translated.

[Edited at 2008-06-12 23:02]

Williamson
United Kingdom
Flemish to English
+ ...
Not for Russians. Jun 14, 2008

One of the other requirements (in most cases the first requirement) is that you have to be a citizen of the E.U.
The job is not for Russians or people from Asia or the Americas.
When I was younger I had two choices: translator training or law.
I chose translation. With what I know know, I would have chosen law.

Gennady Lapardin
Russian Federation
Italian to Russian
+ ...
Professional song? Jun 14, 2008

Williamson wrote:

With what I know know, I would have chosen law.

This is worth being published as all-translator's anthem (unfortunately, the melody is missing )

Williamson
United Kingdom
Flemish to English
+ ...
The status of translation and The Status of Legal Professions. Jun 20, 2008

Translation is not as highly regarded as the legal professions.
With a law degree, many career paths are open. Many (professional) politicians (Berlusconi, Putin, T.Blair, et.al.) studied law. I've never heard of a translator as head of state:). With regard to the E.U. translator competition, anybody with a law degree who succeeds the preselection tests can also try his/her luck in the next stage: the actual translation tests. However for the European Court of Justice, you need a degree i
... See more
Translation is not as highly regarded as the legal professions.
With a law degree, many career paths are open. Many (professional) politicians (Berlusconi, Putin, T.Blair, et.al.) studied law. I've never heard of a translator as head of state:). With regard to the E.U. translator competition, anybody with a law degree who succeeds the preselection tests can also try his/her luck in the next stage: the actual translation tests. However for the European Court of Justice, you need a degree in law.
The judges of the said court did not go a school for translators either. They went to law school.

[Edited at 2008-06-20 19:47]
Collapse

Gennady Lapardin
Russian Federation
Italian to Russian
+ ...
... Jun 20, 2008

In Russia, translators never ruled indeed, but stood for, e.g. Zhirinovskij (TURKISH-RU). Another person of influence is Sechin (PORTUGUESE-RU). No comment on my part.

Thank you, Williamson, for your patience and explanations.

[Edited at 2008-06-20 22:09]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Nawal Kramer[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Lawyer-Linguist positions at the EPSO (Greek & Spanish)

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »