Thread poster: Jacques DP
Jacques DP
Jacques DP  Identity Verified
Switzerland
Local time: 22:11
English to French
May 23, 2008

Hello,

Often, I receive an email notification for a job, and once I read the corresponding web page, I see that the "Language variant" is one I don't do (Canadian French). Could you please add the Language variant (if there is one) in the email notifications?

Thanks,

Jacques

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 17:11
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
There is no way May 23, 2008

Jacques,

My problem is certainly much worse than yours, in Portuguese.

I don't speak French well enough to set apart its French, Canadian, and Swiss variants, but can communicate with all of them, regardless.

On the other hand, a well-traveled, language-talented, high-school-Spanish-speaking American spent a whole month in Portugal, and was never able to understand a word of what was said there. On his second day in Brazil he was communicating basically we
... See more
Jacques,

My problem is certainly much worse than yours, in Portuguese.

I don't speak French well enough to set apart its French, Canadian, and Swiss variants, but can communicate with all of them, regardless.

On the other hand, a well-traveled, language-talented, high-school-Spanish-speaking American spent a whole month in Portugal, and was never able to understand a word of what was said there. On his second day in Brazil he was communicating basically well with local people.

You may read more on some of the differences between PT-PT and PT-BR at http://www.proz.com/translation-articles/articles/1675/

I spent several years in Proz as a non-paying member, while fighting for variant specification on job ads. If you can't lick'em, join'em, so I eventually joined Proz without that.

The bottom line is that Proz staff was afraid that the results would be negative, as there are just too many variants of Spanish. So all I got was that now there is a field on the job posting page to specify the language variant. Unfortunately, not so many outsourcers bother to use it.

My suggestion is that you have a look at my article above, write and publish something equivalent for the French variants... but in English! French speakers should already know it all. Then you can direct all such job posters to that page. I simply got tired of writing all that over and over again in e-mail messages.
Collapse

Jacques DP
Switzerland
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Precision May 23, 2008

José Henrique,

Actually, the "Language variant" field was used on the job page. And my request is simply that, if specified by the outsourcer, it be also included (under or within the language pair specification) in the email notification message.

Thanks.

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 15:11
Spanish
+ ...
Great suggestion May 23, 2008

Jacques is right, the language variant is included in the job post, so it would be easy to include it in the email notifications or even the subject of the emails.

Claudia

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Suggestion May 23, 2008

Then I would suggest that the "Variant" field on the job posting form be replaced, i.e. instead of a free text field, where one can write, e.g. Schweiz, Svizzera, Suisse, Switzerland, Suíça, Szwajcaria, or other names, there should be a drop-down list with all the countries, with multiple selections possible.

One way to "force" job posters to state their wish would be to make this a required field, the first option being "Please select" (unacceptable) and the second being "
... See more
Then I would suggest that the "Variant" field on the job posting form be replaced, i.e. instead of a free text field, where one can write, e.g. Schweiz, Svizzera, Suisse, Switzerland, Suíça, Szwajcaria, or other names, there should be a drop-down list with all the countries, with multiple selections possible.

One way to "force" job posters to state their wish would be to make this a required field, the first option being "Please select" (unacceptable) and the second being "Any" - so the outsourcer willingfully declared that they don't care about the variant, or there is only one.

Likewise, translators should be able to set, on their profiles, which variants they serve as target languages, so we wouldn't get job offers for variants we admittedly don't translate into.

[Edited at 2008-05-23 16:06]
Collapse

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
SITE STAFF
Including the language variant when it has been described May 23, 2008

Thanks for the suggestion, Jacques. I believe we can include the language variant in notifications where the job poster feels it necessary to detail this information. I will let you know once this has been implemented.

Best regards,

Jared

Jacques DP
Switzerland
English to French
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks May 24, 2008

Thanks, Jared.

It's a small thing but it will be a time saver.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Include language variant in email notifications

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »