Thread poster: Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 22:21
Dutch to English
+ ...
Oct 25, 2006

I tried to update my project history. However, the required information asked for is way too specific, e.g., exact month and year that project started and ended. What if I would like to enter only a year or a range of years? Likewise, exact information is required of the volume, e.g., number of words or pages, which one may or may not be able to track down.

The project I tried to enter was completed over a number of years and consisted of 14 two-inch binders of material. I don't ha
... See more
I tried to update my project history. However, the required information asked for is way too specific, e.g., exact month and year that project started and ended. What if I would like to enter only a year or a range of years? Likewise, exact information is required of the volume, e.g., number of words or pages, which one may or may not be able to track down.

The project I tried to enter was completed over a number of years and consisted of 14 two-inch binders of material. I don't have the original files anymore and even if I did, it would take hours to check the exact volume. I think that there should be a way for me to describe this project without going into that much detail.

I.m.o., what I enter into my project history is my business and if it is incomplete, that is my responsibility.

I don't know what other people experience is with this and would like to hear your comments.
Collapse

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 06:21
Spanish to English
+ ...
What about approximate hours? Oct 25, 2006

I did this with in-house work.

Interpretation is also measured in hours; i.e., 7 days of interpreting doesn't mean 168 hours.

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Beyond this particular problem Oct 25, 2006

Parrot wrote:

I did this with in-house work.

Interpretation is also measured in hours; i.e., 7 days of interpreting doesn't mean 168 hours.

Thanks for your suggestion but I wouldn't have a clue how to go about that either - estimating the hours is just as difficult as estimating the volume.

My post was meant to look beyond this particular problem and to ask: why can't we enter what we want to enter, without being tied to this template full of REQUIRED specific information? In the main body of our profile we can say whatever we want to say - why not here?

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 00:21
SITE FOUNDER
Thanks for the feedback Oct 26, 2006

Of course you can enter as many projects or as much detail as you want, but the basic idea with project history is that you put forward a few representative projects that help to highlight your areas of experience and expertise.

Based on your experience with the system, it seems that we will have to relax some required fields and make the intent clearer. Thanks!

Colin Brady
Colin Brady  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 01:21
French to English
+ ...
Some changes Oct 26, 2006

Hi Tina,

You're right Tina, some of the required information we can do without. I removed a few fields from being required. I believe the remaining required fields are necessary.

Best Regards,
Colin

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks! Oct 26, 2006

henry wrote:

Of course you can enter as many projects or as much detail as you want, but the basic idea with project history is that you put forward a few representative projects that help to highlight your areas of experience and expertise.

Based on your experience with the system, it seems that we will have to relax some required fields and make the intent clearer. Thanks!

Thanks very much, Henry, that is what I was hoping for.

There is nothing wrong with the questions themselves, as long as some of them are optional. In the project I was trying to enter, the client's company has gone out of business, I no longer have the files and therefore I'm unable to supply all the required details. In some cases, you don't want to supply too many details in order not to identify the exact name of the project or the end client. I would like us to have a little more control over what we decide to enter.

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
More thanks Oct 26, 2006

Colin Brady wrote:

Hi Tina,

You're right Tina, some of the required information we can do without. I removed a few fields from being required. I believe the remaining required fields are necessary.

Best Regards,
Colin

Thank you Colin for the quick response. I'll try again!

Tina

Kirill Semenov
Kirill Semenov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 07:21
Member (2004)
English to Russian
+ ...
Long-term collaboration Oct 26, 2006

I see another problem with the Project History.

For example, I have a regular client and I do regular jobs for it. At the moment when PH was introduced I entered: "100,000 words on this or that subject starting from (date) to now". A year later I already have 200,000 words for the same client on the same subject, and the (date) became 1 year older.

What can or have or may I do to change the entry at my PH?

[Edited at 2006-10-26 16:16]

Bjørnar Magnussen
Bjørnar Magnussen  Identity Verified
Local time: 06:21
English to Norwegian
+ ...
E-mail header when asking for feedback Oct 27, 2006

I totally agree with Kirill - this is an important issue that has to be solved in order for the Project History to work effectively.

Since Colin is reading this forum, I would like to raise another issue: It seems that feedback request e-mails frequently are ignored inadvertently. Could it be due to the e-mail header that at the moment simply says

"[ProZ.com] Feedback Request".

Would it be possible to change it to something like

"One of your
... See more
I totally agree with Kirill - this is an important issue that has to be solved in order for the Project History to work effectively.

Since Colin is reading this forum, I would like to raise another issue: It seems that feedback request e-mails frequently are ignored inadvertently. Could it be due to the e-mail header that at the moment simply says

"[ProZ.com] Feedback Request".

Would it be possible to change it to something like

"One of your freelancers has asked for feedback on a project".

Or maybe we should be able to edit the e-mail header ourself? I am sure this would increase the feedback rate.
Collapse

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Dutch to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Success! Oct 28, 2006

I have now successfully entered my project history. Thanks again Henry and Colin for your help,

Tina

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Problem with Project History

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »