Thread poster: heikeb
heikeb
heikeb  Identity Verified
Member (2003)
English to German
+ ...
Oct 5, 2007

I'm sure I'm not the only one:

So many times when reading forum posts I find useful tips and tools that might come in handy some time but are only of remote interest at the moment. And then, when I could use them I have a vague memory of reading something somewhere about something similiar... Usually, I don't have enough information to search the forums or the search is not successful.

Wouldn't it be possible to start collecting all the helpful information in some centr
... See more
I'm sure I'm not the only one:

So many times when reading forum posts I find useful tips and tools that might come in handy some time but are only of remote interest at the moment. And then, when I could use them I have a vague memory of reading something somewhere about something similiar... Usually, I don't have enough information to search the forums or the search is not successful.

Wouldn't it be possible to start collecting all the helpful information in some central knowledge base? Maybe classified in a number of categories? A tree structure with expandable notes might work well.

Allowing every user to add info themselves would probably lead to chaos in no time. But maybe people could submit the relevant information to a ProZ team member who would vet the submission and publish it in the correct category. Maybe a form could be offered to allow entering information in a standardized and to-the-point format.

This way, lots of useful information would be there at our fingertips, and newcomers could be re-directed there right from the start so maybe the many repeated questions on the same issues (font changes in Word using Trados or handling PDF files) could be reduced.

An example based on my last forum post:

Trados > TagEditor > TTX > Tags > Missing/incomplete tags

If a TTX file cannot be opend or processed because of missing or incomplete tags, change the file extension from .ttx to .xml and open the xml file in a browser. At the bottom of the page you find a message regarding the problem and/or you can at least pinpoint the actual position of the problem in the file. This might provide you with enough information to fix the problem.

Maybe an option to have different paths to the same piece of information would be helpful as some problems arise when using a combination of tools.
In the above example, an alternative path might be:

DVX > Export TM > Trados > TagEditor > etc.
Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 15:33
SITE FOUNDER
Samuel Murray, Gianfranco Manca and others have started a group to do that Oct 6, 2007

A group is forming to do just this. I imagine they would love to have you, and others, join in the effort. Write to Samuel at http://www.proz.com/profile/1429 if you are interested!

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 21:33
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
ProZwiki Oct 6, 2007

Henry D wrote:
A group is forming to do just this. I imagine they would love to have you, and others, join in the effort. Write to Samuel at http://www.proz.com/profile/1429 if you are interested!

I've posted a first invite here:
http://www.proz.com/topic/85874

I was hoping to wait until we've written a few more help pages, but I'm sure some new recruits can help with that

Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL
Stanislaw Czech, MCIL CL  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:33
Member (2006)
English to Polish
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
You may find this useful Oct 6, 2007

I do not want to deny potential usefulnesses of Prozwiki, just there is a nice tool offered for free by Google, called Google Notebook - http://tinyurl.com/2z4ewr I believe that if you feel like gathering many useful information found online in one place this may be something for you.

Kind Regards
Stanislaw

[Edited at 2007-10-06 23:23]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

collecting useful tips, tools and translation issues in central knowledge base

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »