Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
KudoZ suggestions: intermediate level, separation of pro/easy in point histories
Thread poster: Rowan Morrell
Jacek Krankowski (X)
Jacek Krankowski (X)  Identity Verified
English to Polish
+ ...
Score vs. record Aug 9, 2002

Quote:

Every KudoZ question is like a miniature job. It may be only one word or one sentence, but to solve it successfully, you need to apply the same skills that you do when solving a word or sentence in a job of your own.

==============

Absolutely!

A quick survey was run some time ago among the moderators as to whether they could evaluate someone\'s translation skills by tracking his/her KudoZ record.

... See more
Quote:

Every KudoZ question is like a miniature job. It may be only one word or one sentence, but to solve it successfully, you need to apply the same skills that you do when solving a word or sentence in a job of your own.

==============

Absolutely!

A quick survey was run some time ago among the moderators as to whether they could evaluate someone\'s translation skills by tracking his/her KudoZ record.

The questions were:

- Do you know, HAVING SEEN someone\'s KudoZ answers OVER TIME, whether

or not the person is a good translator?

- Do you know, having seen someone\'s KudoZ answers over time,

whether or not the person is a good terminologist?

While, logically, everyone answered \"yes\" to the second question, many of us qualified our answers to the first question. I do not remember any statistical conclusions, but my comment, in the context of my \"yes\" to both, was as follows:

I obviously agree with those who say that the sheer volume of KudoZ points does not have to be an indication of the person\'s overall translation skills. This survey is not, however, about that, but about \"having seen someone\'s KudoZ answers over time,\" i.e. having judged their quality and being able to evaluate their author based on a variety of criteria and not only the speed of his connection, hours spent in front of the computer and points scored, whether rightly or wrongly.

By looking at someone\'s KudoZ score, I do not know whether that person is a good translator. By watching how s/he does those miniature jobs - yes!

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-08-09 08:34 ]
Collapse

Magda Dziadosz
Magda Dziadosz  Identity Verified
Poland
Local time: 19:53
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
Pro, easy or intermediate level of answers not questions is what matters Aug 9, 2002

Hi Rowan,

I see your point now and I certainly agree that KudoZ points are a marketing tool and they do have influence on how we are perceived, here at ProZ. They certainly help to enhance “visibility”. However, I still do not believe that it is just pure number of points – pro, easy or other, which gives you a picture. Jacek said it very well:

\"By looking at someone\'s KudoZ score, I do not know whether that person is a good translator. By watc
... See more
Hi Rowan,

I see your point now and I certainly agree that KudoZ points are a marketing tool and they do have influence on how we are perceived, here at ProZ. They certainly help to enhance “visibility”. However, I still do not believe that it is just pure number of points – pro, easy or other, which gives you a picture. Jacek said it very well:

\"By looking at someone\'s KudoZ score, I do not know whether that person is a good translator. By watching how s/he does those miniature jobs - yes! \"

So in order to get a picture, one should click in the “Answers provided” and try to evaluate the quality of answers and also whether THE ANSWERS are easy or pro. That is why I do not think its is worth to introduce another, intermediate level of questions. Distinguishing between pro and easy is difficult enough – as an example, recently someone has asked how to say Hello in Polish (this was 26th attempt to establish the meaning of this particular word ) undoubtfully easy question, listed already 25 times in the ProZ.com Glossary, and has received 3 different answers, followed by 3 disagrees and 5 agrees. All valid comments. Quite a discussion. And certainly gives you a picture of participating ProZees!

To keep it short this time, the information whether a translator has answered so many easy, pro or intermediate questions IMHO is less meaningful then the current info which includes split between different fields (legal, biz, medical, etc.)

Best,

Magda

[ This Message was edited by: on 2002-08-09 21:17 ]
Collapse

Monika Martens
Monika Martens
Italian to Albanian
+ ...
In memoriam
Brilliant idea Rowan Aug 16, 2002

not only I agree with your ideas, but I would like to see these ideas take a form and be used in ProZ.

ProZ points are not a definitive classification of professionalism, but they sure help. Separating easy and pro earned points it will help to define a better translator from not a very good one.

The one that is able to give the best answer to pro questions is a better translator, we like it or not...

Greetings
[addsig]

Magda Dziadosz
Magda Dziadosz  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
Same again Aug 16, 2002

Quote:

On 2002-08-16 09:20, Monikam wrote:

The one that is able to give the best answer to pro questions is a better translator, we like it or not...

Indeed, this is very true, but just amount of points, easy or pro, does not tell you that the person gives the best answers.

Magda

Monika Martens
Monika Martens
Italian to Albanian
+ ...
In memoriam
Nobody told the system is perfect Aug 17, 2002

the thing is there is no way to verify how good a translator really is unless he gives examples of his work. But as we usually answer to questions whose answer we know, it\'s not more than fair to get the points for these questions, be it easy, pro or intermediate. And showing the points all under language categories is not very accurate.

Therefore an improvement of the system would definitely help...

Monika
[addsig]

claudia bagnardi
claudia bagnardi  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:53
English to Spanish
+ ...
Too much Ado about Kudoz Aug 17, 2002

I agree with a lot of postings. But I think everything boils down to the fact that the Asker´s easy/pro choice is subjective at times. Adding \"intermediate\" would only make it more confusing. That´s my humble opinion.

Let´s keep on doing our best and choosing whether to answer or not.

Claudia

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

KudoZ suggestions: intermediate level, separation of pro/easy in point histories

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »